Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #46
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
There's still no autologin. Just type "root" when prompted.
(I did try dsmid's suggestion, but the software just wouldn't compile correctly. If anybody is willing to spend the time required to figure this out, feel free to do so. I'll happily include your changes.)
The software can be compiled but has to be patched first.

But you actually don't need it to implement autologin. It's simpler than I originally thought.

Create a new file /root/autologin.sh with these contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec /bin/login -f root
Modify line starting with "tty1::" of /etc/inittab to look like this:
Code:
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -l /root/autologin.sh -n 38400 tty1
Done.
Issue kill -HUP 1 to reload inittab and logout on tty1 (you'll need to kill the java program first) to see it in action.

Tested in VirtualBox with Kubrick 1.1.

BTW Kubrick works in VirtualBox. You need to have the Extension Pack installed and manually select which USB device should be passed through to the machine - once for the USB downloader mode and once again for the fastboot mode.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-20-2013 at 03:53 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Another question, after I have set the computer to boot from the USB stick, and finished everthing with the Kindle, do I have to make any changes to the computer to make it return to booting up normally?

(I've put the image on the USB stick)(If only I had jailbreaked before I upgraded! I just want more margin control LOL)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #48
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
mmm... generally no.

I you changed the boot order in BIOS then it will only select the CD over the Hard drive IF the cd is in...

You can always change it back the original order should you need to. generally MANY machines I come across actually PREFER to boot from CD if one is in the drive... (Kind of makes sense when you think about it)

However: if you didnt do BIOS amends and used the "SLAP FUNCTION BUTTONS TILL BOOTLOADER APPEARS" approach I suggested then that is a one-time deal anyways and will change back the the BIOS defaults next boot.

Cheers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Bob! I'll be trying the slap buttons approach first. Whenever I get up the courage to do so.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #50
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 1.2

New version released, which now features true "autostart" behavior (thanks, dsmid!)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #51
lehbaurd
lehbaurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
The software can be compiled but has to be patched first.

But you actually don't need it to implement autologin. It's simpler than I originally thought.

Create a new file /root/autologin.sh with these contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec /bin/login -f root
Modify line starting with "tty1::" of /etc/inittab to look like this:
Code:
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -l /root/autologin.sh -n 38400 tty1
Done.
Issue kill -HUP 1 to reload inittab and logout on tty1 (you'll need to kill the java program first) to see it in action.

Tested in VirtualBox with Kubrick 1.1.

BTW Kubrick works in VirtualBox. You need to have the Extension Pack installed and manually select which USB device should be passed through to the machine - once for the USB downloader mode and once again for the fastboot mode.
@dsmid

After dismal failure of my laptop to boot from the ISO I have got Kubrick working under VirtualBox with extensions as far as the fastboot screen but am stuck at "Waiting for Device". Although my KT is showing up as a USB device but I get an error message that VB can't connect it to the host as the KT is busy with another request. I'd be so grateful if you have any guidance.
lehbaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehbaurd View Post
@dsmid

After dismal failure of my laptop to boot from the ISO I have got Kubrick working under VirtualBox with extensions as far as the fastboot screen but am stuck at "Waiting for Device". Although my KT is showing up as a USB device but I get an error message that VB can't connect it to the host as the KT is busy with another request. I'd be so grateful if you have any guidance.
There are TWO (2!) vendor:device IDs that you need to pass to VB, see earlier posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Success with windows 7 64 bit and a 2gb USB stick. I am back to 5.1.2 with jailbreak installed, now to other threads to make sure I have the files I need to do the other stuff.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #54
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
New version released, which now features true "autostart" behavior (thanks, dsmid!)
WOOT!

I couldn't think of anything more constructive to say...

If you are looking for input... then Eureka's Fastboot (for FASTBOOT ERASE ALL molested devices) would be a nice addon
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #55
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My host OS is Linux thus I don't have any experience with running VirtualBox on Windows.
I suppose that you tried to check the device in VirtualBox USB device list after booting to fastboot mode.
If that gives you the error you mentioned then I guess some driver/app holds the ownership of the fastboot USB device and you need to convince Windows to get their hands off the Kindle in fastboot mode somehow.
In Linux I'd just rmmod the driver but in Windows ... who knows.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
WOOT!

I couldn't think of anything more constructive to say...

If you are looking for input... then Eureka's Fastboot (for FASTBOOT ERASE ALL molested devices) would be a nice addon
It's already there. You just have to use it manually.

( /mnt/kubrick/resources/imx_usb_img/fastboot_standalone.bin )

I wanted to use this one, but it can't be used for the wizard, because it can't reboot the device.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #57
twobob

AH!!!!

doh! well, I know now much obliged!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #58
lehbaurd
lehbaurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I suppose that you tried to check the device in VirtualBox USB device list after booting to fastboot mode.
If that gives you the error you mentioned then I guess some driver/app holds the ownership of the fastboot USB device and you need to convince Windows to get their hands off the Kindle in fastboot mode somehow.
In Linux I'd just rmmod the driver but in Windows ... who knows.
Thanks @dsmid

Yep that's just what I did - as soon as I got to the fastboot screen it unchecked the kindle USB device and no way could I get it back. Pity - the SliTaz distro really doesn't like my BIOS so I'll just have to go the long way round to reflash if I need to.

Just so I understand if I did dual-boot my laptop with Linux and ran Kubrick under Virtual Box and got the same error how would I force it to release the Kindle get to fastboot?

cheers
lehbaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #59
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
as soon as I got to the fastboot screen it unchecked the kindle USB device and no way could I get it back.
Beware that a USB downloader mode Kindle and a Fastboot mode Kindle are actually two different USB devices.
After booting to fastboot mode the first device (VendorID Freescale Semiconductor [15a2] in my case) "disappears" from USB bus and a new device appears as connected (VendorID Amazon [1949] in my case).
If, for some reason, the USB downloader mode Kindle is still present in the USB device list after entering fastboot mode, then checking it cannot work and could produce an error.
You need to check a different device in that phase.

Quote:
Just so I understand if I did dual-boot my laptop with Linux and ran Kubrick under Virtual Box and got the same error how would I force it to release the Kindle get to fastboot?
cheers
You won't experience such problems in Linux. It just works supposed you have enough privileges to access usbfs.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #60
ixtab
(offline)

Just to add to this: You will also have to make sure that once the device is in USB network mode, that one is properly "forwarded" to the VM (not handled by the host). Kubrick expects the default network configuration (192.168.15.*) on interface usbX . On a Linux host, rmmod cdc_ether should make the host system unaware of usb networking devices.

There are 3 different modes that the device enters (USB download, fastboot, and USB network). You'll have to make sure that the VM gets to see all the 3 "devices".