Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #31
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
@Hitch - that's what the new report will show - all characters regardless of where they are used as long as they are visible. Oh, and if you are pasting individual files into the program - why don't you just Merge all the files into one then copy and paste 1 file into it.

@JSWolf - the report will only show the individual characters that are in the book. From Jellby's description it would be up to the font shrinking program to determine which 2 or 3 pair character sets could/should be turned into a ligature. So feeding it just a list of the single characters that appear in a text would be useless for determining ligatures - you would have to feed it the actual text.

Although Jellby requested the report primarily I think for font shrinking, the report is also just another piece of information you can check to see if there are unexpected characters, etc.

As for displaying each character per font, that as Toxaris has said is a much more involved challenge. Its not something that will be in the next release. It should be possible to get the text for tags using a specific class, but checking what font is used by the class is a bit unknown. None of this would help with ligatures though without the full text.

I'll give it some thought, but without a font shrinking program to shrink the fonts it doesn't help much. And if there is already a program to do font shrinking on an epub from the beginning, there doesn't seem to be much of a need for it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
@Hitch - that's what the new report will show - all characters regardless of where they are used as long as they are visible. Oh, and if you are pasting individual files into the program - why don't you just Merge all the files into one then copy and paste 1 file into it.
Because that was what I was trying to avoid having to do? It's just one more thing, and the list of "one more thing," particularly with the headache of SW coming online, is getting a bit long. I know I sound lazy, but trust me, we aren't--it's just ONE MORE THING. ;-) (And, on a commercial front, I'm sitting here thinking about, "do I font-shrink the original ePUB? Do I wait and do it after the [endless] revision cycle is done?" "If I wait until it's done, the client is running around with an ePUB with the whole font file embedded, and Thor alone knows where THAT will end up," "so, do I shrink each one each time, because they add hundreds of words while they're editing their work?" Thus my desire for not having to merge EVERY ePUB to test for characters/shrinking, if that explains my laziness a bit better.)

Quote:
Although Jellby requested the report primarily I think for font shrinking, the report is also just another piece of information you can check to see if there are unexpected characters, etc.

As for displaying each character per font, that as Toxaris has said is a much more involved challenge. Its not something that will be in the next release. It should be possible to get the text for tags using a specific class, but checking what font is used by the class is a bit unknown. None of this would help with ligatures though without the full text.

I'll give it some thought, but without a font shrinking program to shrink the fonts it doesn't help much. And if there is already a program to do font shrinking on an epub from the beginning, there doesn't seem to be much of a need for it.
Actually, what I said was, I'd be happy even without discreet fonts per usage, just all the chars in a given book for all fonts, but, hey, I'll take discreet font/char usage any day.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a problem with Calibre's subsetting? One thing it does very well is to remove a font if it's not actually used. So if you embed an entire font family, and the bold italic isn't used, it will be removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a problem with Calibre's subsetting? One thing it does very well is to remove a font if it's not actually used. So if you embed an entire font family, and the bold italic isn't used, it will be removed.
I just don't like Calibre for conversion. I think it's a fabulous cataloging tool, and I use it every day, but not for conversion. And I think it would be inappropriate for me to use it in our firm, really. I can experiment with it for this aspect of sub-setting, though, and see what happens.

H
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I just don't like Calibre for conversion. I think it's a fabulous cataloging tool, and I use it every day, but not for conversion. And I think it would be inappropriate for me to use it in our firm, really. I can experiment with it for this aspect of sub-setting, though, and see what happens.

H
What I do is put the ePub into Calibre, convert the ePub to ePub, pull the subsetted fonts out of the converted ePub and replace the fonts in the original ePub with the subsetted fonts. Then I fix the OPF & CSS if any of the fonts were deleted. Then I have the subsetted fonts in the ePub without it having been converted.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #36
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A quick update. I managed to open an ePUB file and retrieve all unique characters used within the whole ePUB. Next step is to see if I can read the classes in the CSS to see which ones contain font definitions. Still a lot of work to do.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You Rock!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
A quick update. I managed to open an ePUB file and retrieve all unique characters used within the whole ePUB. Next step is to see if I can read the classes in the CSS to see which ones contain font definitions. Still a lot of work to do.
Very nice! I look forward to this.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You Rock!
+1, big-time.

H
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #40
kamanza
Zealot
kamanza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will it work on 64 bit W7?
kamanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, but I cannot garantuee a specific x64 build. It would not make much sense or have value.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Of course, but I cannot garantuee a specific x64 build. It would not make much sense or have value.
It works flawlessly on mine (Win 7 64-bit), although, as I think I mentioned previously, it has a LOT of steps. ;-) For those of us who are trying to do this from a completed ePUB with chapters, it has a goodly number of steps. I love it, don't get me wrong!

Hitch
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #43
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Got error: "The given key was not present in the dictionary".
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #44
Toxaris
Wizard

Hitch, the newer version should have a lot less steps, but reading the CSS has some challanges...

Najgori: Is there more to the error? This doesn't ring a bell, as I don't use dictionaries.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #45
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
check your mail

edit: it' windows 7/ 64bit fresh instalation

edit2: it's only one letter anyway - ŷ - just some nineteen century serbian classic with some accented letters. i don't think that is a problem, anyway.

Last edited by najgori; 02-19-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: solved
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote