Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
jmjacobs
jmjacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Merging ebooks

Hello,

I have a few books that are in HTM format that Calibre cannot convert to MOBI format. So I emailed them directly to my Kindle and then uploaded them into my Calibre library. Is there anyway to merge these two books together so it only shows 1 entry for the book and not 2?

Thank you for your help.
jmjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Mark the entry you want to merge the other entry into (probably the one with the most complete metadata), then the second entry. Right click and select merge from the conversion submenu.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I just tried this with a couple of ePub books that I want to merge but there was no such option on the conversion submenu. Is it only available for certain formats?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Argh, I didn't think while I typed. It's in the edit metadata submenu.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried it but it didn't merge the actual books together. Does it just operate on the metadata or should it join 2 ePub books into 1? (Using calibe 07.42).
Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I tried it but it didn't merge the actual books together. Does it just operate on the metadata or should it join 2 ePub books into 1? (Using calibe 07.42).
What it does is merge the two entries together. What actually happens depends on what metadata and formats are present. If you try to merge two book entries that both have metadata and, say, an ePub file of the book, the first selected book will inherit any metadata fields that are empty in the first and filled in the second book, but no formats will be transferred, since the first book already has ePub as a format. If, on the other hand, the second book has a Mobi format, that format will be merged into the first book if that only has an ePub format. What happens with the entries you selected other than the first one depends on which merge option you select.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Agama
Guru

Ah! Now I understand. I had hoped to merge 2 ePubs into 1. I'm converting a 'real' (paper) book to ePub chapter by chapter and would like to build it incrementally so that I can get on reading earlier chapters whilst still converting later ones.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Calibre doesn't have that feature, since it is a program for ebook management and conversion, not for ebook editing. You'd have to use your editor for that.