Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
May I assume that with eink, you mean e-reader?

I can only say that since I have my e-reader (first a Tolino, then my Kobo) I almost never read a paper-version book. Why? For a paper book you have to sit down, whereas I can do the dishes and read on my Kobo. Plus there's the weight of the paper books to consider if you're going outdoors.

I sometimes read an e-book (from Kobo or other) on my Huawei, but rarely.
Yes.
There aren't any dedicated LCD ereaders out these days, that I know of, or significant non-reader eink gadgets. Every once in a while somebody tries an eink phone or keyboard but they don't seem to make much of a dent.

As for print, I have a bookshelf of unread ones and every once in a while I pull one out for reading but rarely get far. Even the FIRE HD10 is lighter plus easier to pull out. I pretty much pased paper out back in the PDA days after my Jornada and Dell AXIM VGA. And then came eink...

I've gone through a series of ereaders from BeBook to Paperwhite32, each noticeably better than what came before but right now there's very little I might need in the newer models. Maybe waterproofing, it might let me read in the shower...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Which store (Kobo, Amazon...?) sells e-books in kepub format?
Kobo sells kepub. kepub = 'Kobo ePub'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
2) What are unstacked authors? Authors of whom you have only one book?
Yes. If an author in your library only has one book, there's nothing to stack.

Quote:
3) What I don't like about the "listing" of books by author, is that you have to choose either by first name or last name. And when you choose by last name, the first name is still put first.
So listing by last name would be
Kader abdolah
Leila Aboulela
Madeleine Albright... etc.
Whereas Albright Madeline, Abdolah Kader would make searching through authors way easier.
Why would it make searching through authors easier?

The authors you mentioned will be listed in the exact same order whether they are displayed as:
  1. Abdolah, Kader
  2. Aboulela, Leila
  3. Albright Madeline
or
  1. Kader Abdolah
  2. Leila Aboulela
  3. Madeleine Albright

Even when sorting using last name, first name, I prefer the display to show first name last name.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #49
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Your first example is easier to scan down a list and find the last name being searched, because the last name is consistantly displayed in the same spot and format. Having the last name be some variable distance away from the margin makes it more difficult to rapidly scan it. Not impossible, just more difficult. And the difficulty increases as the number of authors on your list increases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Your first example is easier to scan down a list and find the last name being searched, because the last name is consistantly displayed in the same spot and format. Having the last name be some variable distance away from the margin makes it more difficult to rapidly scan it. Not impossible, just more difficult. And the difficulty increases as the number of authors on your list increases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I guess. In the end, I prefer first name last name dispalyed. I'm willing to do the enormous calculation and mental taxation required to sort between Leila and Madeline. Especially since I already know it is being sorted by last name and I can just look at the words that begin with 'A'
Old 05-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
But it's simply not true that Apple hardware only supports Apple Books.
There is a million epub apps and ther Kindle and Kobo apps, plus Bluefire Reader for DRM'ed epubs.
My accidental misplacement of the word "only" seems to cause a lot of confusion Understandable, as it does alter the meaning of the sentence.

Quote:
It is however true that you can read Apple Books only on Apple hardware, with the aforementioned exception of DRM free Apple Books (like ‘the classics’) which are delivered as regular DRM free epubs.
This is what I actually meant: I you can read Apple Books only on Apple hardware.

Because of that, and other similar restrictions that you can run OSX only on Apple computers (without hacking), and if you want iOS you can only buy Apple phones, that brand will not be a thing for me if I can avoid them.

As far as I'm concerned, they disqualify themselves most of the time, because of their "Apple only, everthing else is junk" mindset. To each their own, but with regard to computers, phones or tablets, I've never taken them into consideration, except if there's no other option. One such case is with the iPad 12.9 inch, which I need for a single, very specific purpose; not because it's Apple, but because it's the only decent tablet with a 4:3 almost 13 inch screen, which is *almost* an A4.

In the past I've also owned an iPod 160GB, because it was, at that time, the only MP3-player with storage larger than 60GB that could be obtained in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-24-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:41 AM   #52
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You can always download epubs from Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_books.png
Views:	210
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	179497  
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
You can always download epubs from Kobo.
Right, but I was answering the question:
Quote:
Which store (Kobo, Amazon...?) sells e-books in kepub format?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
These same KePub can be downloaded as ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These same KePub can be downloaded as ePub.
Please see post #53
Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #56
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
B&N are also ePub. But the problem is that you cannot remove the DRM and you cannot read them on any other eInk Reader but nook. You would need to buy only DRM free eBooks from B&N.
Can't you remove the DRM with a program like EpubSoft DRM-removal? I bought this a few years ago, and it works wonderfully.
I use it for every free Amazon-book that I get through the emails I get from "Book Gorilla" and "The fussy librarian".
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #57
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Quote:
Can't you remove the DRM with a program like EpubSoft DRM-removal? I bought this a few years ago, and it works wonderfully.
I use it for every free Amazon-book that I get through the emails I get from "Book Gorilla" and "The fussy librarian".
You might be able to if they actually let you download the book in the first place. Maybe things have changed as I not got a ebook from BN in a long time?
When they made this change long ago, I used a work around to download the few I had with them and never purchased another book from them.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please see post #53
I was replying to your post which was prior to post #52. so I didn't read #52 and thus, wasn't duplicating after reading.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can remove the DRM from Kindle eBooks using the DeDRM plugin for Calibre. I didn't have to pay for it.

Companies like epubsoft steal the code from the DeDRM plugin and write their own GUI around it and get suckers to pay for it. And their nook DRM removal program will not work as it requires nook for PC to actually work.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I was replying to your post which was prior to post #52. so I didn't read #52 and thus, wasn't duplicating after reading.
But your post was a non sequitur response to a correct answer to the one line question Which store sells kepub?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote