Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Royal national institute for the blind praise iPads abilty to 'read; books out...

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3341...raises-of-ipad

"Kiran Kaja is blind and uses a screen reader. He says: "The VoiceOver screen reader on iPhone 3GS and iPad provides very good accessibility both to built-in and to third-party applications. But being able to buy a book from the iBooks and read it instantly is a feature that I never expected would be available to blind people"."

I thought companies had been blocked from making books be 'readable' by a computer voice?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3341...raises-of-ipad

"Kiran Kaja is blind and uses a screen reader. He says: "The VoiceOver screen reader on iPhone 3GS and iPad provides very good accessibility both to built-in and to third-party applications. But being able to buy a book from the iBooks and read it instantly is a feature that I never expected would be available to blind people"."

I thought companies had been blocked from making books be 'readable' by a computer voice?
Again, as if Apple invented it all... I believe the Kindle had that feature for a long time already but, yes, you're right, had to turn it off in books because publishers were afraid of losing sales as nobody would buy audiobooks anymore if they had TTS available...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Again, as if Apple invented it all... I believe the Kindle had that feature for a long time already but, yes, you're right, had to turn it off in books because publishers were afraid of losing sales as nobody would buy audiobooks anymore if they had TTS available...
to be fair the article is also taking about the fact that the ipads voice over system is system wide including 3rd party apps.

I believe? Amazons menu system had no voice over so there was no way to navigate to a book in the first place?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How do you get VoiceOver to work in iBooks? I'm an iPad user from the US.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How do you get VoiceOver to work in iBooks? I'm an iPad user from the US.

Thanks.
Settings/General/Accessibility/VoiceOver-On turns it on..but I can't get it to stay on with iBooks.

Last edited by kjk; 06-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert