Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
ktkat1949
ktkat1949 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura HD
Exclamation Problem connecting Kobo Aura HD to Internet

I just got an Aura HD and I HATE IT! I cannot connect with the internet so the device is useless. I waited for an hour on the help desk with no response. I emailed them two
days ago and just now got a response telling me to do what have already done twice ie factory reset. Anybody got any ideas before I return the damn thing and get a Kindle?
ktkat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkat1949 View Post
Anybody got any ideas before I return the damn thing and get a Kindle?
Well, we don't know what you've done. I mean, it could be anything from a hardware problem to a basic configuration issue.

Let's start at ground level. You do realize that Kobo units only connect to Wi-fi and don't have a built-in cellular connection, right? That means that to connect it to the internet, you'll need to have an existing Wi-fi internet connection available. Do you have that, and if so, have you told your Kobo to connect to it?

What sort of error message are you getting? If you aren't getting an error message, can you describe the problem in a bit more detail?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I just got an Aura HD and I HATE IT! I cannot connect with the internet so the device is useless. I waited for an hour on the help desk with no response. I emailed them two
days ago and just now got a response telling me to do what have already done twice ie factory reset. Anybody got any ideas before I return the damn thing and get a Kindle?
What Rev Bob said. And if you want support from Kobo, I strongly suggest you use phone or live chat, not frontline email.

Last edited by meeera; 01-09-2014 at 07:18 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't allow my AuraHD to connect to the internet, and it is far from useless. I use mine to read ebooks. The reading of ebooks doesn't require internet access. I do use my PC and my broadband connection to acquire ebooks that I then read on my AuraHD.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I delayed a while in answering your post in the hopes you would have come back with a more detailed post. However, since you haven't, I'm tossing out some questions.

Are you trying to connect to a WiFi network (cellular is not supported)? What type of WiFi are you trying to connect to? Home? Work? A? B? G? N? 2.4Ghz? 5Ghz? Free WiFi at a coffeeshop or whatever? If home or work, what type of security are you using? None, WEP, WPA/WPA2 Personal or Enterprise? MAC address filtering in use?

If the WiFi involves a browser login, you're not going to be very happy. If the WiFi is using a Radius server and certificate often found in corporate environments, ditto for the unhappiness.

When you go into the settings and select Wi Fi connection, make sure there is a check mark in the Wi Fi On box and then tap on Connect, does it show the WiFi network you want to connect after scanning for networks? If you attempt to connect to your home WiFi router, does the router's information screens show the attempted connection?

The more details you can give, the easier it is to come up with possible solutions. A rant about hating your Aura HD with little other information is not all that useful.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If the WiFi involves a browser login, you're not going to be very happy.
I think this change in one of the recent firmware. The main railway station here has added free WiFi. When I tried to connect using my Glo, it put up a prompt about it hot-spot. Pressing OK opened the browser to the login page. The login was just a checkbox and a button. It worked and I was able to connect and use the browser.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
ktkat1949
ktkat1949 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura HD
First off, I want to apologize to everyone as apparently I have posted my question in the wrong spot and got told off for doing it. Secondly, again an apology for my very short and frustrated posting. I had just spent a second day trying to dealing with the ereader and had just totally lost pages. OK I have a wireless router/modem from Telus. Previously I had a MINI and did not have any problem connecting to the internet but I stopped using it because the screen froze all the time and the pages wouldn't turn so I put it away. I got the AURA HD so that I could borrow books from the library which requires internet access. I set up the ereader and put in the desktop app. the machine asked me to connect to my network so I clicked on the proper network code and put in my password. It said 'unable to join network. please try again' Which I did so many times I have lost track. I tried for two days at all different times including the middle of the night. I searched the web and this website for solutions. One said turned off the computer and the reader for 10 minutes which I did four times. I finally phoned Telus and asked them if everything was OK which it was because I can access the internet
fine anywhere else. I even changed my access password to make sure I had the right one. Originally it would take a minute or two before it told me to try again. Now with the new password it is immediate. As soon as I hit join it says can't join. I checked to make sure I had correct date and time. I did a factory reset twice. I did the pin reset twice. I think I will take Meera advice and try again to contact someone on the phone as I have not received a reply from my email in response to their email that told me to a factory reset. Many thanks for your patient response to my rude posting.
Kate
ktkat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Most routers now have a way to set a "whitelist" of allowed connections, and any MAC address not on that list won't be able to make a connection even with the password. Double check that your router doesn't have the whitelist enabled, and if it does, either turn off that option until you get the Aura connected, or add the MAC address from the Aura if you can find it easily (should be through Settings).

I did that once totally forgetting about that setting since I rarely have to connect new devices. And to keep entering a 64 digit random password with special characters is a real pain, I can tell you hehe.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One suggestion I've made in other threads is to try installing software on your PC to make it into a hotspot, a device that your Kobo would connect to via WiFi, and then the PC would route to your router and the internet.

I've done this using Connectify from http://www.connectify.me/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've noticed that firmware 3.0+ has problems connecting to some routers after the Kobo has gone to sleep. Rebooting the Kobo allows it to connect successfully, but only once, when it's gone asleep, it will not reconnect, until the next reboot. Firmware prior to 3.0 had no such issues.

A work-around that may work is to set up the router to always assign the same IP-address to the Kobo. This issue looks like a bug to me, because reconnecting shouldn't work only with static IP-addresses, but it works for my Aura HD and the wife's Glo.
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Not being able to connect to internet is a problem, but why do you need it for library books?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First off, I want to apologize to everyone as apparently I have posted my question in the wrong spot and got told off for doing it. Secondly, again an apology for my very short and frustrated posting. I had just spent a second day trying to dealing with the ereader and had just totally lost pages. OK I have a wireless router/modem from Telus.
This may not apply to your problem but my daughter recently had a problem where her HP printer could not be used over her wireless connection -- it was being reported as offline. I checked things out and the printer connected to the router, got an IP address and so forth but I could not ping it or open the printer's built-in web page. Tried power cycling the printer, setting a address reservation on the router, etc. Nothing seemed to help though the printer did pick up the reserved address. Another oddity was that her laptop could connect to the internet but my Nexus 7 timed out even on www.google.ca. Finally ended up power cycling the Telus router. Afterwards, I could ping the printer and her laptop was able to print.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Not being able to connect to internet is a problem, but why do you need it for library books?
Perhaps she is trying to sync books from her Kobo library directly to the Aura HD rather than using the Kobo desktop application and a USB connection?

Or she has Calibre's content server set up and is trying to access her Calibre library?

Regards,
David
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Have you tried with another wifi connection (a friend, at university, etc)?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
True, but she doesn't need internet to borrow books from public library, at least not on device.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote