Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Impossible to remove Special Offers?

From all the years of occasionally reading in the Kindle section of this forum (while not owning one) I've always been under the impression that even if you bought a Kindle with Special Offers, that it would be possible at a later date if you chose so to remove them by paying the difference. Today, after perusing the website and eventually after asking for help directly via chat, I've been told they're impossible to be removed.
This is no tragedy of course, but I was wondering if it had always been like that or if it's a recent development? Or is it country-dependent maybe?

Last edited by mathil; 10-28-2016 at 07:51 AM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
This is from the US site. It gives instructions for the removal of special offers. Since you spoke with Amazon via chat perhaps this information is outdated, though I have not heard anything previously about not being able to remove such offers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200671290
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
From all the years of occasionally reading in the Kindle section of this forum (while not owning one) I've always been under the impression that even if you bought a Kindle with Special Offers, that it would be possible at a later date if you chose so to remove them by paying the difference. Today, after perusing the website and eventually after asking for help directly via chat, I've been told they're impossible to be removed.
This is no tragedy of course, but I was wondering if it had always been like that or if it's a recent development? Or is it country-dependent maybe?
I have had special offers removed from a Kindle in the UK. Where are you?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
This is from the US site. It gives instructions for the removal of special offers. Since you spoke with Amazon via chat perhaps this information is outdated, though I have not heard anything previously about not being able to remove such offers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200671290
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have had special offers removed from a Kindle in the UK. Where are you?
Thank you for your answers -- I'm in my home country at the moment (Italy), but I bought the Kindle while I was studying abroad in Japan, and it's set up with a amazon.co.jp account. Following the instructions from the US site above I went into the Device page but there's no Special Offers option. It is there, instead, in the corresponding page on the amazon.it website (I have another account there with a Kindle 4 registered).

I guess it might be a Japan-only policy. Would it be possible to register it with my Italian account, pay for the removal of the offers and then reregister it again with my Amazon.co.jp account? I would keep using the Italian account on it but I use my Paperwhite almost exclusively for Japanese content, so not having access to the .co.jp store would be a problem for me.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's probably why. Kindle accounts are "international" with one exception: Japan. Yes, I'd imagine that registering it to your Italian account would allow special offers to be removed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
mathil
Evangelist

Thank you for you help, I did as I wrote above and now am registered again with my Japanese account -- but with no special offers.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote