Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Forma, Nook ST
Kobo Papier

Kobo has tweeted that the Kobo Papier fragrance they announced on April 1st, is actooly a real thing!

https://twitter.com/kobo/status/1379448907307044867

I think this might be preliminary marketing for the new device we're all expecting. If the device is called the Papier, then to me this implies that it will also double as a note-taking device and may have a larger form-factor than expected.

Personally, I'm hoping that it has the Papier scent with a lifetime guarantee of lovely paper smelliness like the Toy Story Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear plushy.
RowdyRuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRuff View Post
Kobo has tweeted that the Kobo Papier fragrance they announced on April 1st, is actooly a real thing!

I think this might be preliminary marketing for the new device we're all expecting. If the device is called the Papier, then to me this implies that it will also double as a note-taking device and may have a larger form-factor than expected.

Personally, I'm hoping that it has the Papier scent with a lifetime guarantee of lovely paper smelliness like the Toy Story Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear plushy.

It seems odd to me that teaser marketing for an upcoming device would include giving away current devices:
kobobooks
Quote:
PLOT TWIST: The aroma of Kobo Papier is 100% REAL. 🤩👃⁠

We’ve teamed up with our fragrant friends @demeterceo to handcraft Kobo Papier and bottle the essence of reading. Our batch is small - and not for sale (yet) - but we’re sharing some with YOU via our #EssenceOfReading #FAN #GIVEAWAY ! ⁠

—⁠

So what’s inside a #EssenceOfReading prize set?⁠

✨ 100mL bottle of Kobo Papier fragrance⁠
✨ Kobo Libra H2O + SleepCover⁠
✨ CA$100 Kobo Gift Card⁠
✨ US$100 Demeter Fragrance Library Gift Card⁠
Winners might be somewhat irked to discover they've been given an "old" device if all this is part of promotion for their new one.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It seems odd to me that teaser marketing for an upcoming device would include giving away current devices:
kobobooks

Winners might be somewhat irked to discover they've been given an "old" device if all this is part of promotion for their new one.
Gift horse, mouth.

Some people just enjoy complaining.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Gift horse, mouth.

Some people just enjoy complaining.

I said that it seems like an odd way to lead into promoting a new device, by giving away an old one. Especially since the date given elsewhere for the lifting of the FCC data embargo is sometime in August. That's 3 months or more after the end of this promotion. My post wasn't about being an ungrateful winner, it gave my reasons for not being convinced that the promotion is connected with the new device.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I said that it seems like an odd way to lead into promoting a new device, by giving away an old one. Especially since the date given elsewhere for the lifting of the FCC data embargo is sometime in August. That's 3 months or more after the end of this promotion. My post wasn't about being an ungrateful winner, it gave my reasons for not being convinced that the promotion is connected with the new device.
Fair points, but I can still hope for a smelly Kobo; it is now my deepest wish. Does anyone think Kobo might respond favourably to a petition of one?
Advert
Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Kobo does come out with a stinky Reader, I'm jumping ship. There is no way I want my Reader to stink.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Fair points, but I can still hope for a smelly Kobo; it is now my deepest wish. Does anyone think Kobo might respond favourably to a petition of one?
I'm not sure about the vanilla-esque aroma of second books, but it shouldn't be that hard to infuse them with the smell of the sweaty tears of the Shenzhen 7-year olds building them.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm not sure about the vanilla-esque aroma of second books, but it shouldn't be that hard to infuse them with the smell of the sweaty tears of the Shenzhen 7-year olds building them.
At least we could be confident that they are being kept reasonably well hydrated.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
At least we could be confident that they are being kept reasonably well hydrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Out of curiousity, what evidence do you have that Kobo's ereaders are built using child labour, specifically 7 year old children? Or this yet another example of working on your PHD.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
This thread stinks.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:

It just has to smell like musty old books, right?

And if this is for real, I'd steer far far away from it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It just has to smell like musty old books, right?

And if this is for real, I'd steer far far away from it.
Wait for the adjustable Comfortpong Pro revision?
Old 04-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And you said "...some winners may be irked...", which I bolded. I'll stick by my "gift horse, mouth".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Where can this "official" information be found for those of us who do not subscribe to any social media?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote