Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
For All the "DeDRM Isn't Working!!!" Posts...

The currently maintained version of the DeDRM plugin for calibre can be found at NoDRM's github repository:

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

The version number at time of writing is 10.0.3

Original post:
Spoiler:
Calibre 5.x requires DeDRM 7.1.0 or later
Calibre 4.23 requires DeDRM 6.8.x

DeDRM 7.1.0 mostly works OK. If you come across a book for which it doesn't work, drop back to 4.23 and 6.8.x. Here's a method that lets you run 5.x and 4.23 side-by-side on Windows:

1. Grab an older version of Calibre Portable.

2. Extract it wherever.

3. Exit your main Calibre beforehand. Open Calibre Portable.

4. Install the DeDRM plugin.

5. Copy your settings (C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\dedrm.json) over to [PortableInstallationFolder]\Calibre Settings\plugins\ so that the keys are available.

6. Now there are two options from here.

OPTION ONE (Best for small libraries with few plugins):

a) Open your current library in Calibre Portable. Only do this on 4.23 as otherwise the databases aren't quite compatible with 5.x. (Note that since the portable version is 32-bit, it may have difficulty with very large libraries.)
b) DeDRM your books.
c) Close Calibre Portable. Open your main Calibre.
d) Enjoy your DeDRM'd book.

OPTION TWO (Best for larger libraries with multiple plugins):

a) DeDRM your books.
b) Exit Calibre Portable. Open your main Calibre.
c) Use Add Book. Navigate to your Calibre Portable's library and add the eBook file.
d) Enjoy your DeDRM'd book.

Hope this cuts down on the number of posts made about this.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-30-2022 at 02:15 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
THis is exactly what I am going to do once I install Calibre 5.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
1. Grab an older version of Calibre Portable. (Unfortunately only seems to be available for Windows.)
It wouldn't surprise me that much if calibre portable worked in wine on Linux.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for stickying this.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
1. Grab an older version of Calibre Portable. (Unfortunately only seems to be available for Windows.)

2. Extract it wherever.

5. DeDRM your books.

6. Exit Calibre Portable. Open your main Calibre again.

7. Use Add Book. Navigate to your Calibre Portable's library and get the file for your DeDRM'd book.

Hope this cuts down on the number of posts made about this, at least until a compatible version is available.
Plan B:
Use older version of DeDRM that still works as standalone application.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
wtf101
wtf101 began at the beginning.

Device: ebook
not working, it did let me install the prior version. The plug in however does not even allow you to upload ...Luckily I have a prior version on my other desktop

Quote:

2. Extract it wherever.

5. DeDRM your books.

6. Exit Calibre Portable. Open your main Calibre again.

7. Use Add Book. Navigate to your Calibre Portable's library and get the file for your DeDRM'd book.

Hope this cuts down on the number of posts made about this, at least until a compatible version is available.
wtf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Wish I'd have seen this before upgrading -- I wouldn't have upgraded yet -- no rush here.

EDIT: Looks like the library was compatible, so it was easy to roll back. I've removed it from my homebrew install and manually installed for now to avoid future unwanted updates.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-25-2020 at 03:02 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

You can downgrade back to 4.23. The installers are all available on Fosshub from the first post.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I take it this means The Tools will not work in Calibre 5? Just downloaded but haven't installed it yet. And is anybody running it on Windows 7? I've been using version 4.13 which is not supposed to be Win7 compliant but so far have had no issues. Gonna get me an older backup version just in case.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
You can downgrade back to 4.23. The installers are all available on Fosshub from the first post.
I just wanted to point out that Kovid's official download page for older calibre versions is at:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thanks. I forgot about that.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Or downgrade to 4.23.0. Not really anything in 5.0 that interests me right now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Or downgrade to 4.23.0. Not really anything in 5.0 that interests me right now.
Thanks all. I've downgraded to 4.23 and reinstalled the plug in but it still doesn't work. Do I have to uninstall the 5.0.0 version as well? I now have two versions of calibre on my laptop.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

That's odd, downgrading shouldn't result in two Calibres (unless you grabbed a different bit-version).
Old 09-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's odd, downgrading shouldn't result in two Calibres (unless one is 32-bit and the other 64-bit).
The 4.23 version is 64 bit. The 5.0.0. I don't know. Do you think it's safe to delete the 5.0.0. version, and I won't accidentally delete the whole of calibre?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dedrm