Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
toggle a YES/NO-column (by shortcut) for several books directly?

I'm looking for a way to toggle a user YES/NO-column (by shortcut) for several books directly.

Example:

User column "reader" defined with option "YES/NO", meaning only books manually set to "YES" get synced to the external reader.

If i want to set YES / NO to several books i have to do several steps for that:

- select them,
- right click,
- Meta in bulk,
- custom meta,
- column "reader": select YES / NO

Is there a way, a shortcut or anything, to jump to the options of my column "reader" for several selected books at once with only 1 step? Or, still better, a shortcut to set "YES" or "NO" for several books without opening the bulk editor at all?

Last edited by nikoski; 02-03-2017 at 02:43 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
Is there a way, a shortcut or anything, to jump to the options of my column "reader" for several selectedd book at once with only 1 step? Or, still better, a shortcut to set "YES" or "NO" for several books without opening the bulk editor at all?
Not to my knowledge - but as I've posted before:

Quote:
It would be really useful if one could associate a keyboard shortcut with a yes/no custom column. Then one could highlight the book and toggle the Y/N column by pressing the relevant keyboard shortcut.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
The Reading List plugin gives me that functionality (and more) albeit in a different way.
I can highlight a bunch of books, right-click, add_to_list. Done.
Then plug in my reader and it automatically pushes them over. Done.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
nikoski
Zealot

Thanks, capnm, for your hint, it sounds good

I've been using "reading list" since some time syncing mainly "from search": you cannot define here a column to update.

After your answer i've additionally defined another list "populated from books on device": with this one i can define a column to update with "Y/N".

Unfortunately, after that i still do not see an entry "add to list" in the conext of the right click. Where is it hidden? Or what's wrong about my settings?

Last edited by nikoski; 02-07-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:30 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks, capnm, for your hint, it sounds good

I've been using "reading list" since some time syncing mainly "from search": you cannot define here a column to update.

After your answer i've additionally defined another list "populated from books on device": with this one i can define a column to update with "Y/N".

Unfortunately, after that i still do not see an entry "add to list" in the conext of the right click. Where is it hidden? Or what's wrong about my settings?
Where the plugin is depends on where you put it. You will have been prompted about this during the install, but you can change it. In the preferences, go to "Toolbars". Click on the drop-down and choose a toolbar. This includes the menu bars. You can change what actions are on what toolbar and the order they are in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #6
nikoski
Zealot

Thanks, davidfor, as well for you hint about the general workings of those preferences regarding toolbars

After looking at the suggested steps once more under options/Toolbars i unfortunately still do not see / understand how to conjure up a "add to list" onto the context menu

Last edited by nikoski; 02-07-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After looking at the suggested steps once more under options/Toolbars i unfortunately still do not see / understand how to conjure up a "add to list" onto the context menu
AFAIK you can't cherry pick an individual action item from a Tool and add it to the book list context menu.

In the case of the Reading List plugin you could assign a keyboard short cut to the Add to "XXXXXXXXX" list action. But if you have multiple libraries that may not work satisfactorily. The View Manager has a similar keyboard shortcut setup for different views, the shortcuts don't survive library switches.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #8
nikoski
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
The Reading List plugin gives me that functionality...
I can highlight a bunch of books, right-click, add_to_list. Done...
What do i have to do to have it working this way?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do i have to do to have it working this way?
Add the Reading List plugin to the context menu. When you right-click on a book, there will be an entry for the plugin. Click that to get the plugin menu items.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
nikoski
Zealot

Thanks davidfor. I did it already after your first post but i have no "add to list" entry after that.

I have an entry "move to list...", but this one is not working, i get an "unhandled exception error" when klicking on that one.

Last edited by nikoski; 02-07-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks davidfor. I did it already after your first post but i have no "add to list" entry after that.

I have an entry "move to list...", but this one is not working, i get an "unhandled exception error" when klicking on that one.
"Move to list" will move a book from one list to another. Have you defined more than one list? Do any of the other options work?

Also, can you post the full error? I can have a look and see what the cause is.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
nikoski
Zealot

Yes, the other options seem to work ok, i could sync my 3 lists "populated from search" for a long time successfully. But only today i created a list "populated from books on device".

I've posted it already in the plugin thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=737

Last edited by nikoski; 02-07-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, the other options seem to work. I've posted it already in the plugin thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=737
I saw the other post and posted an explanation there.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
nikoski
Zealot

Sure, thanks a lot once more
It was evidently my error not to try it with a right "manual" list. Now everything seems to work as it should.