Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The Talisman

By Stephen King and Peter Straub. Is it worth reading? I’m about 250 pages in and still bored. Is it worth continuing to read? This is the first Steven King book I ever found to be dull.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My opinion is yes. When I last read this I noted that "it got a little long and wordy in places, but overall it was well done and very enjoyable to read". I gave it a 4/5, but then I like King's voice (as it was back then, not so much now), so for some of this I was happy just to go along for the ride.

But if you don't like slow starts, I suggest skipping Black House - the sequel. I gave that a 3/5 with the comment: When it finally does get going (about a third of the way in) the characters are great and the story really starts to grab you... and then it sort of fizzles again at the end.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ya, I stopped reading and now just listening to the audiobook. I bought the sequel when i bought the first book. I am bored to death but not quite giving up.

Peter Straub Ghost Story was slow also. I could not see how the story had to do with ghosts till 60% in then it all fell together and got really good
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you do try Black House I will be interested to hear what you think. My review notes overlaps with Dark Tower - which annoyed me greatly, but if you're a Dark Tower fan (I hear that they do exist, just not in this house), then this might be a plus for you.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I'm a Dark Tower fan until about halfway through book 5. Book 6 I mostly enjoyed until right near the end and Book 7 was just a woefully self-indulgent way to wrap up what had started as a great series.

I read the Talisman years ago and enjoyed it. Listened to the audiobook last year and enjoyed that. Didn't even know there was a sequel so might have to grab the audiobook.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I'm a Dark Tower fan until about halfway through book 5. Book 6 I mostly enjoyed until right near the end and Book 7 was just a woefully self-indulgent way to wrap up what had started as a great series.

I read the Talisman years ago and enjoyed it. Listened to the audiobook last year and enjoyed that. Didn't even know there was a sequel so might have to grab the audiobook.

I did not like the dark tower much but I read it all. I will not spoil the end but it is a frustrating ending yet a genius ending. I think I would have liked it more if I read his other books first
Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If you do try Black House I will be interested to hear what you think. My review notes overlaps with Dark Tower - which annoyed me greatly, but if you're a Dark Tower fan (I hear that they do exist, just not in this house), then this might be a plus for you.

I noticed the Talisman really reminds me of The Dark Tower Series. I do plan to read Dark House but not for some time. I am still suffering thew The Talisman. I am 70% done. I am also reading Angels & Demons which is really good and Jeff Vandermeers ( not sure of his name spelling) Authority right now. Then I am going to read John Gresham The Reckoning and Then The Andromeda Strain
Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I noticed the Talisman really reminds me of The Dark Tower Series. I do plan to read Dark House but not for some time. I am still suffering thew The Talisman. I am 70% done. I am also reading Angels & Demons which is really good and Jeff Vandermeers ( not sure of his name spelling) Authority right now. Then I am going to read John Gresham The Reckoning and Then The Andromeda Strain
It's been a while, but I remember enjoying Angels & Demons - much better than the movie they made from it.

It's a shame you're not finding more fun in The Talisman ... you sound determined to finish. I get like that about some books, but I'm less obsessive about it now than I used to be.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mr King has always seemed to me the archetypal example of “the author who thinks he’s too important to be edited”.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mr King has always seemed to me the archetypal example of “the author who thinks he’s too important to be edited”.
Well, not always. But yes, eventually. Of course there's nothing necessarily wrong with “the author who thinks he’s too important to be edited”, it mostly goes wrong when the editors think so too.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard

Finally finished it! Dear god it was a hard read. Good ending tho.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's been a while, but I remember enjoying Angels & Demons - much better than the movie they made from it.

It's a shame you're not finding more fun in The Talisman ... you sound determined to finish. I get like that about some books, but I'm less obsessive about it now than I used to be.
I read Angels & Demons just finished it a week ago. Loved it!