Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Merlin09
Enthusiast
Merlin09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Uboot needed for pw2

Hello.
Let me explain my problem from the beginning

I broke my kindle Pw2 screen. So I went online and bought a new one, but of course, afterwards I was stuck with the invalid battery error.
So, I soldered the serial port, plugged in my ftdi, and went in Fastboot.
I am a Linux user, so I compiled Fastboot, and flashed system and diag. Unfortunately, as a newbie I tried to use a pw1 image. So I downloaded the right one, flashed it with Fastboot and tried to reboot in diags mode.

That's when I had problems. It said "mmcblk error". So I tried again to flash the system, and everything failed. Now it doesn't even have a serial, and bist doesn't work anymore.
I have the old Mac address (I think), the Kindle serial, but no board serial written.

I want to try to use Uboot, but I only find the one from eureka, which is for the kt if I understood correctly.

Does someone know about a correct Uboot, or a howto for this kind of full restore?

Last question, how should I do without the original serial numbers and Mac?

Thanks for reading
Merlin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin09 View Post
Hello.
Let me explain my problem from the beginning

I broke my kindle Pw2 screen. So I went online and bought a new one, but of course, afterwards I was stuck with the invalid battery error.
So, I soldered the serial port, plugged in my ftdi, and went in Fastboot.
I am a Linux user, so I compiled Fastboot, and flashed system and diag. Unfortunately, as a newbie I tried to use a pw1 image. So I downloaded the right one, flashed it with Fastboot and tried to reboot in diags mode.

That's when I had problems. It said "mmcblk error". So I tried again to flash the system, and everything failed. Now it doesn't even have a serial, and bist doesn't work anymore.
I have the old Mac address (I think), the Kindle serial, but no board serial written.

I want to try to use Uboot, but I only find the one from eureka, which is for the kt if I understood correctly.

Does someone know about a correct Uboot, or a howto for this kind of full restore?

Last question, how should I do without the original serial numbers and Mac?

Thanks for reading
Find link on this page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450

Go to NiLuJe's snapshot thread, down load the KindleTool binary, open Amazon's update package, there find the current version of u-boot.

Last answer:
Mostly you don't.
But they are outside of the filesystem area, they should still be safe unless you have been mucking around there also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 04:02 AM   #3
Merlin09
Enthusiast

thanks, I really appreciate your help.

I exacted the update with kindletool, and I have a u-boot binary.

but since mine is corrupted, how do I inject it in the kindle? I can't type in "bist fastboot" since bist is corrupted.

thanks again

Edit:

O.k., I guess that should be helpful
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=emmc+change

I'll try to follow this and let you know how I fared.

Edit2: I can't find the "Tool and documentation for downloading OS images to the i.MX 6SoloLite (REV L3.0.35_4.1.0)" or any other version... If someone has it in stock, I'd be glad

Last edited by Merlin09; 02-25-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look on the Kubrick Live-CD for the tools, there should be a complete set there (for 32bit Linux - if you don't have, you can just run the Kubrick Live-CD of course).
They are both in hardware read-protected regions of the eMMC, it did not happen by accident.

- - - - -

I am still not clear on how you destroyed the u-boot installed (that is, both of them - your Kindle is dual boot).

And I don't read how you destroyed the second OS that is installed and why you think it will not run.

Last edited by knc1; 02-25-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Merlin09
Enthusiast

First. Thanks a lot for taking the time for me. As a newbie with Kindle hacking, though I messed with nearly every other device I own, it's sometimes quite confusing.

I will try to explain more clearly. When I changed my kindle screen, I was stuck with incorrect battery error - 22.

I read I was to flash a "new" firmware with fastboot, so I did. It worked, but I had a kernel error, because I flashed the wrong version (pw1 when I have a Pw2)

So I tried a second time, with the right firmware, but while it was writing the firmware, the kindle rebooted on its own. After that, when I tried to get Uboot, I had the console with uboot>, but when I write a command (like bist), the console outputs some errors, the most significant being mmcblk0 error, unable to read.

That's why I try to restart from the beginning, even if I don't get how it happened.

I will give Kubrick a try, I read about it, but though it was only applicable to Kindle up to 5th generation.

I'm a long time Linux user, so I do own a 32bits Linux.

I'll let you know how it went.
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
First. Thanks a lot for taking the time for me. As a newbie with Kindle hacking, though I messed with nearly every other device I own, it's sometimes quite confusing.

I will try to explain more clearly. When I changed my kindle screen, I was stuck with incorrect battery error - 22.

I read I was to flash a "new" firmware with fastboot, so I did. It worked, but I had a kernel error, because I flashed the wrong version (pw1 when I have a Pw2)

So I tried a second time, with the right firmware, but while it was writing the firmware, the kindle rebooted on its own. After that, when I tried to get Uboot, I had the console with uboot>, but when I write a command (like bist), the console outputs some errors, the most significant being mmcblk0 error, unable to read.

That's why I try to restart from the beginning, even if I don't get how it happened.

I will give Kubrick a try, I read about it, but though it was only applicable to Kindle up to 5th generation.

I'm a long time Linux user, so I do own a 32bits Linux.

I'll let you know how it went.
That is true about Kubrick.
It's scripted 'wizard' only handles the models you mention.

But that is not necessarily true for the tools that it includes.
Some of them WILL work with newer devices.

And you had mention building fastboot - there is always a chance that you built the wrong one or have a build error.
Kubrick has a copy that is proven to work.

And you asked where to get another tool -
my answer was that Kubrick is the most likely place to find that binary.

Note:
There is a function key escape from the wizard, so you can use all the tools from the command line.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Merlin09
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try in a few minutes
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Giving your description some more thought -
What you describe is (hardware) write errors to the eMMC chip (hardware failures, internally).

Changing the screen should not have created a battery error - that was a certain sign that things where not "normal" with the device.

Somewhere here I have attached an archive containing both a script and a binary that does a: Write, Read-back, Verify type of copy - -
Which is what you need when trying to copy things (correctly) to a failing eMMC.

Sorry, I can't find the link to my post with that attached archive.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
Merlin09
Enthusiast

is it the one?

the code seems to be a read/write test of some sort

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...28&postcount=7
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
is it the one?

the code seems to be a read/write test of some sort

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...28&postcount=7
That was the prototype.

But it lead me to the final version at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...96#post3251696
Old 02-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
Merlin09
Enthusiast

ok, now I'm lost.
it seems one needs to use this from the kindle, but mine is useless right now. how could I test this?

as for kubrick, I'm fiddling with it right now... I'm searching for the tools.

I used the standard linux shortcut ctrl+alt+F2 to access the root console.

still searching for the tool to send a uboot to the kindle mfgtools if I understood

I'm trying, but with difficulties, to understand this

Last edited by Merlin09; 02-25-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
ok, now I'm lost.
it seems one needs to use this from the kindle, but mine is useless right now. how could I test this?

as for kubrick, I'm fiddling with it right now... I'm searching for the tools.

I used the standard linux shortcut ctrl+alt+F2 to access the root console.

still searching for the tool to send a uboot to the kindle mfgtools if I understood

I'm trying, but with difficulties, to understand this
Eventually you will have to transfer the main filesystem image file, first from pc to kindle USB storage, and then from USB storage to mmc0blk1
That is two copy operations, either of which might have errors (making the filesystem image unusable).
And you can't use fastboot to do the transfer - the main filesystem image is too big for it to handle.

Hence, an x86 (pc to USB storage) and an arm (USB storage to mmc0blk1) versions of the binaries.

= = = = =

Maybe.

You might be looking for the imx_?something? binary that talks to the SOC's built-in firmware (since at this point, you don't have a u-boot to talk to)

If it isn't in the Kubrick toolset, then search this forum for it.
It is a special tool for bootstraping an imx6 system using only its internal rom and ram.
It also contains the code to program the dynamic ram interface and start the external dynamic ram (something usually done by u-boot, but you don't have a u-boot yet).

= = = = =

Read the copycmp.sh script.
Most of what passes for user documentation is in the comments.

As for reading the scripting commands themselves . . . .
I just tried and it seemed obscure to me, and I wrote it.

Last edited by knc1; 02-25-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Merlin09
Enthusiast

OK. It starts to make sense.

Basically I will need your scripts when my uboot is restored.

I found the imx_something tool. I will try it tomorrow, here in France it's nearly midnight, but I should be all set.

The one remaining thing is to determine if I will need a uboot image with fastboot integrated (like the one from eureka, but for pw2. Or will it work on it? ) to be able to write the uboot to the emmc and not only load it to ram.

Again thank you for the time you spent helping me. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Merlin09; 02-25-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK. It starts to make sense.

Basically I will need your scripts when my uboot is restored.

I found the imx_something tool. I will try it tomorrow, here in France it's nearly midnight, but I should be all set.

The one remaining thing is to determine if I will need a uboot image with fastboot integrated (like the one from eureka, but for pw2. Or will it work on it? ) to be able to write the uboot to the emmc and not only load it to ram.

Again thank you for the time you spent helping me. I really appreciate it.
There was a hardware change PW1 / PW2..Current

The u-boot build for PW2..Current (the i.MX6SL SoC) has fastboot support (and perhaps adb support, nobody has checked for that).
Old 02-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #15
Merlin09
Enthusiast

hello.
thanks, I understand now. But how could I put my pw2 in usb download mode?

if I just boot, it never goes after "press any key to stop autoboot", but of course
nothing happens after that. if I go to uboot> by pressing enter early in the boot stages, well, nothing happend on the usb either (meaning that dmesg doesn't output anything)

Last edited by Merlin09; 02-26-2017 at 03:37 AM.