Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Customer Service/Rant

I have posted about how my 950 didn't come with an adapter, even though the paperwork said it was included.

On June 30, I called customer service to ask for the missing adapter. I was told one would be sent to me.

Today, four adapterless weeks later, I tried calling customer service again. The fellow who took my particulars looked into it and said the order had been placed but not processed, but that he couldn't give me any more information. I'd have to call a different number to check on the status.

I called the different number. After ten minutes on hold, click! The call was dropped. I called the number again. This time I got through to someone after another ten minutes on hold. He also took my particulars, we spoke at intervals while he looked into it, and then while I was waiting, you guessed it! Click. Call dropped again. Third call got me someone else after the requisite ten minutes on hold, but after checking she told me that while she could see the order, she could tell me nothing more, either. I needed to call yet another number.

So, I call the third number, ten more minutes on hold, but at least this time I got someone who could give me an answer, namely: the part is on backorder. Estimated time for restock is first week in August. It will be sent to me then. Do I believe it, though?

First: Sony obviously shouldn't ship items that are missing parts. Make sure the paperwork agrees with what's in the box. Stuff happens, but I suspect they were already out of stock of the adapters when my 950 was shipped.

Next: If you can't fill an order in timely fashion, send the customer an email. Don't let her sit and fume and then have to go through a huge runaround, which also wastes the time of your customer service reps.

Third: It turns out it was fortunate I called, because the shipping address was wrong. Even though my street address when the 950 was shipped was correct (because I filled it out on the website), the rep I spoke to a month ago obviously misheard me. He transcribed the name of my street (two common words) as "25". Ask someone to spell it, if you're not sure. Especially if it doesn't agree with the address on record.

The funny thing is, getting the adapter was hardly a dealbreaker; I would have bought the 950 without it. But if I was entitled to one, why not get it? They're useful and Sony charges an arm and a leg for them. At this point, IF it comes, I will have earned it.

OK, I feel better now.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
With this kind of service it is amazing anyone buys a Sony. I'm hoping I never have to deal with them.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
With this kind of service it is amazing anyone buys a Sony. I'm hoping I never have to deal with them.
I own multiple Sony devices, and I do because I have always had very good experiences with their hardware. My experience with their Customer Service have been... eh... less than positive. I never call them anymore. I google for solutions, or chuck the device out and get a new one. Contacting their Customer Service (and I use the term loosely) is not worth the hassle.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
BUT THAT MEANS THEY WON !

Nil carborundum ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
BUT THAT MEANS THEY WON !
So...?
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

If you're happy with it, fine.

The ideal customer.................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The ideal customer.................
That's me! I buy the product and I never bother them again!

In fairness, most of my Sony devices are gaming consoles, and gaming console accessories though. Despite the mind-blowing stupidity with which they handled the PSN hacking, I still love my PS3.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Sonylistens

Hello,
My name is Mike from sony electronics the sonylistens team. If you are having any problems with a sony TV, computer, or other electronic please contact us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you.
Thanks,
Mike Puma
Sonylistens
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I have to say, I had a very similar experience with Sony's customer service recently. I sent my 505 to them to have the battery replaced (NOT for free!) and I never heard a thing from them. I had to call them to verify they even got it. Two months and several calls later (many of them dropped before and after speaking to someone) I *FINALLY* got someone who told me that they no longer had any batteries for the 505. He transferred me to someone else who offered me a 650 (for $99) and then, promptly, the call dropped. It took me another call & 3 transfers to get back to the right person.

So, yes. Their call center technology sucks. Their customer service processes suck. However, once you actually get ahold of someone who knows what they are doing, the results are usually good. So while I HATE the process, it's usually worth sticking it out...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Ouch! to be without your reader for two months!

Despite my rant, I'm about equally amused and annoyed by this, although I resent the 45 minutes I spent on the phone. But that's only because I have an adapter I can use while I wait on the one that's been promised to me. If I were having to charge my reader through the computer as I waited and waited, I'd just be steamed.

What's with all the dropped calls? I get customer reps screwing up, only human and all that, but fix the freaking phones! If someone's already had a dropped call or two by the time s/he gets hold of a person, the call has already started on a bad basis. And the time wastage on both sides is significant, when a rep has to go through procedures already done by an earlier rep.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Mike,

Sony does not listen. I bought a Sony computer that has an adapter on recall, so I called for the replacement adapter, and 3 months later when it didn't come, they said "on backorder" so wait another three months, still no adapter and call again and they said will send another (implying I got the first one!), I wait another 3 months and call again and they tell me they don't know what happened, but I will get one soon. It's been a year now or more and I had to use the faulty adapter which gives me an electrical shock every time I touch it. Sony may have won this battle, but I will never buy another Sony computer or laptop again, so I win the next round.

Oh, and I did the sonylistens thing too, and still no adapter.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
sonylistens

Peitsao,

I'm sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with sony and want to make it right.
Please email me your event number and we will look up your file and see if we can get that part ordered for you.

Thank you,

Mike Puma
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
So, yes. Their call center technology sucks. Their customer service processes suck. However, once you actually get ahold of someone who knows what they are doing, the results are usually good. So while I HATE the process, it's usually worth sticking it out...
That sums up my experience as well. When I finally got hold of someone who was able to help, the warranty service I wanted on my earphones was quick and efficient. The hassle and sheer ordeal of getting there was flat out ridiculous though.

And don't even get me started on the completely lack of any useful product documentation at all on their support website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If someone's already had a dropped call or two by the time s/he gets hold of a person, the call has already started on a bad basis. And the time wastage on both sides is significant, when a rep has to go through procedures already done by an earlier rep.
If your call drops twice, the first thing out of the thirds rep's mouth when you say that should be, "then why don't you give me your phone number, and if this call drops, just hang up and I will call you right back".

You're there to help. To answer questions, ease concerns and to make the process as smooth and easy as possible. Take some f-ing pride in your work.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 07-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
If your call drops twice, the first thing out of the thirds rep's mouth when you say that should be, "then why don't you give me your phone number, and if this call drops, just hang up and I will call you right back".

You're there to help. To answer questions, ease concerns and to make the process as smooth and easy as possible. Take some f-ing pride in your work.
Indeed! I'm in customer service myself, and I say this to people regularly. Not that our phone system drops calls like that, but still, things happen. Customers cut me off fairly often, because they're on cell phones, or because they screw up when switching to headsets, or whatever. I always call them back.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote