Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
That is why I just bought the Clara as well. (Well, with the $99. price at Walmart.)
But as I pointed out in the Kobo forum, there is a weird bug with the amber light in the latest software. It doesn't adjust automatically throughout the day, unless you turn the Auto switch off and on once a day. I have opened a ticket with Kobo and they are supposedly looking into it.
Kobo has its glitches, Nook has its glitches. I guess it comes down to which you can live with.

If you have the Glowlight 3 and the Clara HD, does one or the other have a superior screen? The Glowlight 3's screen is terrific, partly because they use IR (the Glowlight Plus uses the same screen, but doesn't look quite as good because of the capacitive layer). I haven't seen a Clara in person.

Honestly, even if the Clara isn't quite as good, the Clara has other benefits.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo has its glitches, Nook has its glitches. I guess it comes down to which you can live with.
I have both the Glowlight 3 and the Clara. They are both good, but I prefer the Clara.
The screens are pretty identical, although I'm not the expert on that. ((I'm not even sure if I have the lightbleed issue that many Claras have -- I don't think mine does.)
I like the buttons on the NG3, but prefer the smaller size of the Clara. And the Kobo software (even with the auto bug) blows the Nook software out of the water. The issue with the flaky storage on the NG3 is the real dealbreaker. (I haven't even started patching yet. Will do that when I am bored.)

And one more plus for me with the Kobo -- the web server is not hidden. I like to use reabble.com as a newsreader (it's optimized for e-ink). On the NG3, you have to install a launcher to get to the web browser. And then it's just a matter of time before it gets stuck booting up.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like the buttons on the NG3, but prefer the smaller size of the Clara. And the Kobo software... blows the Nook software out of the water. The issue with the flaky storage on the NG3 is the real dealbreaker.
I can't argue with any of that. If the Clara existed when I bought the Glowlight 3, I likely would have bought a Clara.

Speaking of flaky storage, on my Glowlight 3, whenever I eject it from Calibre and it reloads my books, no matter what I was reading, it insists I was reading The Right Stuff. If I ever remove The Right Stuff from the Glowlight 3, it won't know what to do with itself!

My Glowlight Plus running the same software doesn't have that issue. Weird.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #19
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Speaking of flaky storage, ...
My Glowlight Plus running the same software doesn't have that issue. Weird.
The NG3 storage is a real cluge. You might remember when it was released it had partitioned storage and then they unpartitioned it in a software update.
I could never figure out how they did that in an OTA update, but it now seems obvious it was a logical segmentation (that they removed) or bridge (that they added). And that is no doubt why the device loses sideloaded content every now and then.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The NG3 storage is a real cluge. You might remember when it was released it had partitioned storage and then they unpartitioned it in a software update.
I could never figure out how they did that in an OTA update, but it now seems obvious it was a logical segmentation (that they removed) or bridge (that they added). And that is no doubt why the device loses sideloaded content every now and then.
Yeah, I wish they'd issue further updates to fix the device. It really is a nice piece of hardware.

But with B&N being in the state they're in, I'm not counting on it
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #21
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
One good thing about the Nook -- it seems to have a true amber LED light source, not a "variable color temperature" LED. The latter would still be emitting some blue light no matter how "warm" the setting.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #22
hank
Dinosaur

Oddly, after sitting idle for 24 hours, my Nook now can see all the sideloaded books when I use its Library button. Does it have to phone home to BN overnight or something?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Oddly, after sitting idle for 24 hours, my Nook now can see all the sideloaded books when I use its Library button. Does it have to phone home to BN overnight or something?
It could just be that the Nook is very slow and the next time you opened it, it had finally finished. I don't think it has anything to do with phoning home to B&N. I always leave Wi-Fi off on mine.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #24
hank
Dinosaur

> On the NG3, you have to install a launcher to get to the web browser.

Please, may I have a pointer on how to do that? I thought they'd removed that possibility completely from the ...3 model.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
> On the NG3, you have to install a launcher to get to the web browser.

Please, may I have a pointer on how to do that? I thought they'd removed that possibility completely from the ...3 model.
Here is a little guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=113

I prefer Zeam Launcher over Relaunchx but they both work.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #26
raindog89
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
Here is a little guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=113

I prefer Zeam Launcher over Relaunchx but they both work.
I was using Nova Launcher, but I gave up, because once in a while, the device locks up while switching launchers, and I end up having to hard reset and start all over again.
That is why I prefer using the Kobo where the browser is not hidden.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #27
hank
Dinosaur

So I've now seen two Nook GL3 software updates overnight in the past week or so.
Pointer please to any discussion of these.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So I've now seen two Nook GL3 software updates overnight in the past week or so.
Pointer please to any discussion of these.
You might want to check this thread though not much content as yet: New Nook Firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #29
hank
Dinosaur

Got the "partner is stopped" message again yesterday; after a while the Nook was responsive to input again so I ignored it.

Today all my sideloaded books are missing from the Nook directory, although Calibre sees them there without anything missing.

On one go-round after restarting, there were zero books; now there are two Nook info docs, two purchased books and two sideloaded books showing as visible.

The circling-arrow button (redo directory) button does nothing to restore the directory.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #30
hank
Dinosaur

com.nook.partner

I've been getting the "Unfortunately com.nook.partner has stopped" popup more frequently lately, just got one at 10 AM. That's still happening after at least one software update a few weeks ago.

Also, curiously the Nook seems to bog down every evening around 11pm or midnight (Pacific time), usually requiring a restart.

Curioser and curioser.