Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
tahnok
tahnok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905
Wifi stability for weather display?

Hello folks!

To start, I just want to thank all of you for the excellent information contained in the forum, it's been a real help

What I'm trying to do is display an image (using fbink and downloaded via curl) on the kobo every 5 minutes.

Right now that's a simple shell script launched via telnet or kfmon and that works OK. Still need to figure out how to kill my script... maybe listening for any touch event or home button press. Any ideas on how to do that?

But my real issue right now is that the wifi connection on my Kobo Touch (N905) is REALLY BAD. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Old firmware? Soldering an antenna? Some magic wifi settings for the AP?

Any ideas would be appreciated, or feedback in general. You can find what I have so far here: https://github.com/tahnok/walter
tahnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahnok View Post
Hello folks!

To start, I just want to thank all of you for the excellent information contained in the forum, it's been a real help

What I'm trying to do is display an image (using fbink and downloaded via curl) on the kobo every 5 minutes.

Right now that's a simple shell script launched via telnet or kfmon and that works OK. Still need to figure out how to kill my script... maybe listening for any touch event or home button press. Any ideas on how to do that?

But my real issue right now is that the wifi connection on my Kobo Touch (N905) is REALLY BAD. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Old firmware? Soldering an antenna? Some magic wifi settings for the AP?

Any ideas would be appreciated, or feedback in general. You can find what I have so far here: https://github.com/tahnok/walter
If this is all it is doing, you might want to consider going back to an older firmware. Probably 3.19.5761. The WiFi in the N905 Touch has been erratic for a while. It takes two or three tries to connect mine. It has improved in the last few firmware versions. But, for a while, it would only connect if I tried immediately after a restart.

Some of the patches might help. Or the developers options have a setting to force WiFi on. But, I don't know if any of that will affect the WiFi when not running nickel.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Unless I'm misremembering (which I very well might), I seem to remember ForceWiFiOn (or whatever the exact setting's key is ^^) persisting after Nickel's demise (at least until the lease expires, I'd assume).

EDIT: Which makes sense, given that WiFi persists in KOReader/Plato if you start with WiFi enabled.

In the script's current form, the point is moot anyway, as nickel doesn't get killed .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-22-2020 at 08:06 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
tahnok

Yeah, I'm not killing nickle (although perhaps I should?) so any sort of nickle related "never turn off wifi" sounds like a great thing to try, I will do some digging to see if I can find that setting. Will posts my results (and me trying an older firmware)

I'm also going to look at how KOReader implements their no sleep feature for inspiration, but I'm not sure if the issue is the kobo going to sleep, or if the wifi connection itself is unstable
Old 03-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually remembered its name properly .
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
tahnok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I actually remembered its name properly .
This is working! At least, in the 10 minutes I've let it run so far... normally the wifi would drop after 2 minutes
Old 03-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Note that it does exactly what it says on the tin, so keep it plugged in, because battery life is now essentially non-existent ^^.