Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Aww, they sell in UK, France, Italy, Spain, ... but not Germany.

Oh well, I really shouldn't, anyway.
Easy answer: Tolino.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #47
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@frostschutz: They don't have a partnership with a brick & mortar shop in Germany?
Kobo stopped selling their devices in Germany about 2 years ago, when they became a partner of the Tolino Alliance. They bought / took over the Tolino hardware development from the Deutsche Telekom and are now responsible for developing new Tolino devices (based on Kobo e-readers).

But so far only the Kobo Clara HD was released as "Tolino Shine 3" in Germany, neither the Aura H2O (2nd), nor the Forma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The depressed screen likely means a return to infrared sensors which might make some people happy since the screen may be slightly sharper.

Why is this "likely"? The depression of the Libra's screen does not look different then on the Aura H20 (2nd Edition) or Clara HD, which use capacitive touch.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #48
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
same here , except my 6.8" is an Aura HD.
I'd like to see comparisons between these older 6.8" and the new 7 inch though , in case there's anything there that may tempt me more than getting an extra 0.2"
Aura HD: 265 dpi
Libra H2O: 300 dpi

Aura HD: 8.5 oz – 240 grams
Libra H2O: 6.8 oz - 192 grams

Aura HD: 4MB and Micro SD slot
Libray H2O: 8MB but no Micro SD slot
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #49
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Low depth black ?

I originally wanted to buy Koba Forma, but the frequent negative contributions discouraged me from this mod (a problem with the gray bar at the edge of the screen)

Maybe it looks only in the video, but does KOBO Libra H2O some slight contrast (depth black)?

Button on the side! You know somebody who's going to please it

Kobo Libra H2O really interested me and probably buy.
- For me "7" inches to read is ideal. "6" too little, "8" too much.
- I like Kobo H2O a lot in white.
- Finally some SW update, something I missed with KOBO_Forma, which had the same look as ClaraHD for 99 $

Forma "8" vs Libra "7" vs Clara HD "6":

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma_libra_clara.PNG
Views:	11993
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	173261  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #50
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
What I really want is the new firmware, the ereader? Not so much.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And while it isn't that obvious in the reviews, the header shows the current chapter with progress (page, percent, time left) and the footer shows the book title with the full book progress. Or you can turn either of them and the progress bar off.
I want, I want, I want
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #52
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And while it isn't that obvious in the reviews, the header shows the current chapter with progress (page, percent, time left) and the footer shows the book title with the full book progress. Or you can turn either of them and the progress bar off.
Kepub only?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #53
a-m13
a-m13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2
Hi, I just bought the Kobo Aura H2O 2 two days ago and I'm wondering if i shouldn't give it back to take this one. For the same price, the screen is better and the device is lighter. Do you think it is going to replace the Aura H2O?
a-m13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #54
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m13 View Post
Hi, I just bought the Kobo Aura H2O 2 two days ago and I'm wondering if i shouldn't give it back to take this one. For the same price, the screen is better and the device is lighter. Do you think it is going to replace the Aura H2O?
Do you really need buttons ?
Quote:
For the same price, the screen is better and the device is lighter.
How do you know Kobo@Libra has a better screen ? The H2O 2 edition has an excellent screen even through 220dpi.

When comparing KOBO_H2O vs Kindle_Oasis, Kobo_H2O had a better contrast and sharper font that stood out from the screen. Difference in pixels would definitely not recognize the eye..

Kobo_Libra captivated me a lot. I plan to upgrade my H2O for LIBRA. (because I would welcome buttons)
* But before buying I prefer to wait for the first tests

PS : Depends on you. If H2O doesn't suit you, replace it with Kobo_Libra.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #55
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Maybe it's risky, but the KA1 is still "findable" in various places online through non-standard purveyors.

But there probably is no reason to opt for a KA1 versus the Forma.
Honestly for me the 7.8" of the KA1 is still the best. The Forma buttons take too much room, the KA1 is slimmer and not so "squared". Going down to 7 makes quite a difference, I have the H2O too and it is quite noticeable.
Hope Kobo issues a new 7.8" or even 8". No buttons, please, at least for me.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #56
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m13 View Post
If you are doubting, return it while you still can. Take some time to think about it and wait for the first Libra reviews. You will be able to buy the Aura H20 later again should you prefer that.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Kepub only?
The display is there for both epub and kepub. But, epub only does full book progress. The header shows the current chapter, but, the progress is full book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #58
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
that review is a bit odd

they want the case be made of metal? won't your hands be cold when reading?

and the low contrast seems to refer to while browsing the kobo store.

well, these are not important to me
Yes, he mentions Amazon or Kindle pretty much every paragraph. I don't take it as unbiased. When he mentions something like the comfort light system, he has to say that it has something the Oasis offers, leaving out that Kobo has offered this for years in other devices.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #59
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Honestly for me the 7.8" of the KA1 is still the best. The Forma buttons take too much room, the KA1 is slimmer and not so "squared". Going down to 7 makes quite a difference, I have the H2O too and it is quite noticeable.
Hope Kobo issues a new 7.8" or even 8". No buttons, please, at least for me.
b, you and I are on the same page totally.

I'll keep my KA1, thank you.

Meanwhile, I'm torn whether to get 7" Libra or the 8" Forma or KA1 as an upgrade gift for a lady still using a 6" Sony PRS T1. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by petercreasey; 09-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #60
uncleungie
uncleungie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirekeyaki View Post
- Low-contrast screen

- ¿Gradient?: "For the most part, the Libra H2O's backlighting is just as even as both of the Kindles, so it looks like the entire screen is illuminated. The one place it fails is the quarter-inch of space on the side of the screen next to the buttons, where the lighting is slightly dimmer."

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/kobo-libra-h2o
The dim button-side lighting and cross-screen gradient are dealbreakers for me. If Kobo ever manufactures a model with truly uniform lightning, I will run to purchase one.
uncleungie is offline   Reply With Quote