Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The Magician

Over the years, I've been reading about how wonderful The Magician is, i.e. it's basically a older version of Harry Potter. I finally broke down and bought it. After getting about a third of the way through, I have to ask - Does it get any better? Because so far, I'm not impressed.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You might have to be a bit more specific. I'm assuming you don't mean The Magician by W. Somerset Maugham, and I'm assuming you don't mean Magician (no "The") by Raymond E. Feist - neither of which seem (to me) to be at all similar to Harry Potter. There's a series call The Magician by Patricia C. Wrede, which I'm not familiar with but doesn't look "older" except in setting. Any more hints?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I believe he meant The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Loved, despised and "meh"-ed in just about equal proportions by many.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Thanks, DiapDealer. I've not read anything from Grossman, but now I look at the description it seems a good match for the OP.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe he meant The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Loved, despised and "meh"-ed in just about equal proportions by many.
Yep, exactly what I meant. I should have been more specific and listed the author. I think you answered my question.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You might have to be a bit more specific. I'm assuming you don't mean The Magician by W. Somerset Maugham, and I'm assuming you don't mean Magician (no "The") by Raymond E. Feist - neither of which seem (to me) to be at all similar to Harry Potter. There's a series call The Magician by Patricia C. Wrede, which I'm not familiar with but doesn't look "older" except in setting. Any more hints?
The Grossman series. I haven't read the Maugham book, loved the Feist series and really liked the Wrede series (kind of a Victorian period with magic.)
Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've not read them myself. But the outrage from fantasy/Narnia purists over them has always intrigued me. I'm a fan of tropes being upended. So long as the author doesn't waste time trying to be subtle about it anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I'm in the "meh" group. It was an interesting premise but it felt like he added sex and adult themes just for the sake of adding sex and adult themes.

I was amused when I re-read my comment to myself after reading DiapDealer's comment:
Quote:
But the outrage from fantasy/Narnia purists over them has always intrigued me. I'm a fan of tropes being upended. So long as the author doesn't waste time trying to be subtle about it anyway.
My original note to myself:
Quote:
Angsty, drunken Harry Potter goes to Narnia? I liked the first part (school) but lost interest after they graduate.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Angsty, drunken Harry Potter goes to Narnia? I liked the first part (school) but lost interest after they graduate.
I was pretty much in the same boat - I liked the first book enough to pick up the next, but got pretty bored after that.

OP, are you looking for something specifically with a similar vibe to Harry Potter, or are you more looking for "HP for adults"? And are there any specific things that turned you off about The Magicians, or are you just "meh"?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Over the years, I've been reading about how wonderful The Magician is, i.e. it's basically a older version of Harry Potter. I finally broke down and bought it. After getting about a third of the way through, I have to ask - Does it get any better? Because so far, I'm not impressed.
I've not read this, but I have seen the TV series based on the book and I do like the TV series. I've seen the first 3 seasons and am watching the 4th season. There are 5 seasons.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-02-2020 at 06:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not read this, but I have seen the TV series based on the book and I do like the TV series. I've seen the first 3 seasons and am watching the 4th season. There are 5 seasons.
I read the books, but haven't watched the series. I liked the series, but I agree that the first book was the best. There were some parts of the later books that made me laugh because of the shady references to Narnia...although I truly loved the Narnia books, I agree with DiapDealer that upending tropes is usually a good thing. If for no other reason than to give perspective.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I was pretty much in the same boat - I liked the first book enough to pick up the next, but got pretty bored after that.

OP, are you looking for something specifically with a similar vibe to Harry Potter, or are you more looking for "HP for adults"? And are there any specific things that turned you off about The Magicians, or are you just "meh"?
I'm just looking for books that I enjoy, it doesn't have to have the same vibe as Harry Potter. I just picked The Magicians up because it has been getting good reviews. Of course, there are quite a few well received books that I didn't particularly care for.

Nothing in particular turned me off, I was just meh about it. Reading stories about depressed, lonely, angst ridden teenagers/young adults just isn't all that interesting to me, especially when there is no indication that the characters are going to stop being depressed, lonely, angst ridden teenagers/young adults.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #13
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I loved the whole trilogy, but I'm always wary of recommending them because some people really can't abide them.

I kind of liked the fact that Quentin makes terrible decisions and never seems to learn from his mistakes, but some people can't get past their impulse to slap him. It felt realistic to me - as someone who is not infallible - and didn't stop me being sympathetic.

If anything I was wary of the second and third books undercutting the first, but I don't think they did.

The Magicians was my favourite book of whichever year it was I read it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've not read them myself. But the outrage from fantasy/Narnia purists over them has always intrigued me. I'm a fan of tropes being upended. So long as the author doesn't waste time trying to be subtle about it anyway.
Can't say that I'm outraged, just bored. Of course, I'm also not a Narnia purist either. I much preferred Middle Earth to Narnia. Yea, he's not particularly subtle about the Narnia references.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #15
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
If you want a grown-up story with magicians, I reccomend Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. For a Wizarding school that makes Hogwart's look like a Monetssori class, I reccomend A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula k. Le Guin, assuming you haven't read them.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote