Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Google is here!

Well, we thought this was coming for a while now and it looks like it is actually here:

http://wnep.com/2018/01/23/google-la...obook-service/

https://www.blog.google/products/goo...s-google-play/

You can check out the books here. Have fun exploring.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, great news. Have you seen anything indicating the file format/DRM status?

ETA: I engaged in a live chat with a woefully unprepared Google rep, who couldn't answer anything. But some searching brought up this article, which says:

Quote:
Consumers will be able to buy audiobooks within the Google Play Books apps for Android as well as on the web, and also play them on iPads and iPhones, Google Home speakers, Chromecast streaming adapters and compatible devices. “You just pick up where you left off, no matter which device you are using,” said Hartrell.
Quote:
One frequent point of criticism of Audible has long been its use of digital rights management (DRM) technology that makes it impossible to play Audible files on some devices. Hartrell sidestepped questions about the file formats Google is going to use for its audiobook offering during an interview with Variety, but said the company was looking into make the service available on MP3 players and other legacy devices at some point down the line.
I was excited about a new source for audiobooks, but not if I can't be sure that I can get them onto my mp3 player.

Last edited by Catlady; 01-23-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: ETA
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, great news. Have you seen anything indicating the file format/DRM status?

ETA: I engaged in a live chat with a woefully unprepared Google rep, who couldn't answer anything. But some searching brought up this article, which says:

I was excited about a new source for audiobooks, but not if I can't be sure that I can get them onto my mp3 player.
It looks to be app based, which implies DRM.

Quote:
“Ok Google, read my book”... Introducing audiobooks on Google Play

Find your next great read at an affordable price, and enjoy it across Android, iOS and the web with Google Play Books, as well as on devices that include the Google Assistant, like Google Home and many others.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It looks to be app based, which implies DRM.
I wonder if after it's downloaded you can transfer it from the app--as you can with the Kobo books. Or if it's like the Hoopla downloads, which can't be. I won't pay for a book I can't transfer to my mp3 player.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if after it's downloaded you can transfer it from the app--as you can with the Kobo books. Or if it's like the Hoopla downloads, which can't be. I won't pay for a book I can't transfer to my mp3 player.
I wish they'd give us the first book free, instead of 50% off. I'd try it to see what you can and can't do with the book. As is, there's nothing that'll entice me to buy one of their books.
Advert
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
From Google Play Books site:

Quote:
LISTENING INFORMATION
Smartphones and Tablets
Install the Google Play Books app for Android and iPad/iPhone. It syncs automatically with your account and allows you to listen online or offline wherever you are.
Laptops and Computers
You can listen to audiobooks purchased on Google Play using your computer's web browser.
Clearly Google intends the audiobooks to be played via app or browser only. Time (and effort) will tell what else if anything is possible.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I wish they'd give us the first book free, instead of 50% off. I'd try it to see what you can and can't do with the book. As is, there's nothing that'll entice me to buy one of their books.
There are some free titles available, though they are short children's stories. Do a search for "FREE" at the audiobooks homepage. I plan to try it out when I get home (still at work) and I'll report when I do so (unless someone else beats me to it).

UPDATE: It appears there will be no Audiobook "app" for Google. The audiobooks will be downloaded and played through the Google for Books app. As you may have already determined, Google Play downloads books in a secure way, unless perhaps you have an unlocked phone (I can't find them anywhere). Probably means they will get no love from me.

Last edited by skinmaan; 01-23-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
There are some free titles available, though they are short children's stories. Do a search for "FREE" at the audiobooks homepage. I plan to try it out when I get home (still at work) and I'll report when I do so (unless someone else beats me to it).

UPDATE: It appears there will be no Audiobook "app" for Google. The audiobooks will be downloaded and played through the Google for Books app. As you may have already determined, Google Play downloads books in a secure way, unless perhaps you have an unlocked phone (I can't find them anywhere). Probably means they will get no love from me.
Did you power off and then turn the phone on again? That generally at least lets you see the files.

I'm hesitant to download one of the free stories for fear that it will then wipe out the 50 percent off, since that's supposed to be for your first purchase--I don't want them to count a freebie as a purchase.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm hesitant to download one of the free stories for fear that it will then wipe out the 50 percent off, since that's supposed to be for your first purchase--I don't want them to count a freebie as a purchase.
I have no intention of using my 50% off, so I just downloaded one of the free stories. Then I clicked on the 50% off deal and it was still available for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Did you power off and then turn the phone on again? That generally at least lets you see the files.

I believe that it drops them in the same directory it stores the epub files, which I also could not find (for months).

Typically speaking freebies will not tripwire a Google coupon in your account. I've done it with movies before.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I understand it the book files are stored in a part of the directory structure which is only accessible if you have rooted your phone or tablet. Also there is some suggestion online that the books are not stored as epubs but as a number of files of undetermined format. The most common advice seems to be to downIoad an ADE protected ebub from the website. If they do this with ebooks heaven knows what they do with audiobooks. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject. This is all based on a cursory search.

I don't currently have a rooted phone or tablet. Someone with one may be able to experiment and tell us more. For now it looks like a no go for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. I've only ever downloaded Google books to my PC; I've never used the app.

Why can't they just be straightforward and use simple mp3 files?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:10 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Prices look nice, but if I can't play them on my phone, they're a no go for me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:53 AM   #14
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Prices look nice, but if I can't play them on my phone, they're a no go for me.
You can play them on your Android Phone or IPhone but only through an app. It seems you cannot put them on an mp3 player or make backup copies.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:39 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
You can play them on your Android Phone or IPhone but only through an app. It seems you cannot put them on an mp3 player or make backup copies.
Which means I can't play them on my phone And I'm not even sure I can play it on my tablet either (the other device I always have with me) unless I have an internet connection...

Not everybody has android or ios. I do have an android phone, but that one doesn't have extended memory, I only use that for streaming while at work (it doesn't even have a sim card...). Audiobooks I like to download and listen to without using internet. On my phone and tablet (both Windows 10), I have a large microSD card, especially for audiobooks and MP3s.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote