Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Lragak
Member Retired
Lragak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Note-Keeping Application

Hi everyone. I'm a long-time reader of this forum but also a first time poster here.
Everything I learn, I keep it stored as notes so that i may review them when need it. Reading books, navigating the web everything is saved in these notes.

I've been using Microsoft OneNote for the past 2 years and it works OK but I'm mostly woried that it might be shutdown or payware or something.

What do you guys use for your notes?
Lragak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Lragak - I'm using Evernote - ~$1/week for Premium. Main advantage of EN is that you can have offline notebooks on mobile devices, afaik ON requires persistent Internet connect on mobile devices. My impression is that a future version of ON will be tied to Office 365, I guess that's where you're coming from.

EN has become Apple centric, I'm wondering if it has a future on Windows. Maybe they're angling for an Apple takeover.

Here's something on how I get to Author and Book notes in Evernote from the calibre ebook library manager ==>> Calibre and Evernote. There's no code involved, I use out-of-the-box features of EN and calibre.

I've also devised a way to go back the other way for Authors, i.e. show books I have in a library for an Author; this uses the calibre web server feature, but I'm undecided if I want to pursue this aspect any further.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Opensource options:

Stylus/pen
- http://xournal.sourceforge.net/
- http://www.styluslabs.com/ Write

Keyboard
- http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-0-beta-1.html
- http://strlen.com/treesheets/
- http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/
- https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Tomboy
- http://zim-wiki.org/index.html

Lots of other options: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aking_software
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I use Notability over Evernote, because you can colour-code a notebook/set of notes. However Evernote does have a great feature set. If anyone knows of a colour-coding kludge for Evernote, I'd love to hear it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I use Notability over Evernote, because you can colour-code a notebook/set of notes. However Evernote does have a great feature set.
@meera - Apart from syncing across multi-platform and easy clipping - what are the other 'great' features Given its 'maturity' EN is pretty buggy, and lacks some pretty simple stuff - eg having notebook specific sort orders, a decent tagging system.

Quote:
If anyone knows of a colour-coding kludge for Evernote, I'd love to hear it.
This is not very good but fwiw - create a page in Word/Writer (Pages?) with the colours required, cut & paste paste coloured page into a new EN note. Keep different coloured empty notes in a 'boilerplate' notepad. Create new notes by copying appropriate 'boilerplate'. I don't use colours but I do have some very simple 'forms' in my 'boilerplate' notebook.

Maybe the EN for Mac client has note page colour options. I'm pretty sure I saw a recent blog post that said table cells can be assigned different colours on Mac. So if a table cell, surely the whole note.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
This is not very good but fwiw - create a page in Word/Writer (Pages?) with the colours required, cut & paste paste coloured page into a new EN note. Keep different coloured empty notes in a 'boilerplate' notepad. Create new notes by copying appropriate 'boilerplate'. I don't use colours but I do have some very simple 'forms' in my 'boilerplate' notebook.

Maybe the EN for Mac client has note page colour options. I'm pretty sure I saw a recent blog post that said table cells can be assigned different colours on Mac. So if a table cell, surely the whole note.
Thanks. It's not so much colour-tagging a single note, as a note collection ("Notebook", in Evernote) - eg for a single school subject.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thanks. It's not so much colour-tagging a single note, as a note collection ("Notebook", in Evernote) - eg for a single school subject.
As I said before - fwiw (For What It's Worth) - which is not much.

If you go to the EN forums, you'll see frequent instances of 'do what you want in Word and cut and paste into your EN Note'. Or 'google for a blah blah tool, and see if you can cut paste from it into your EN Note'. Rarely a satisfactory solution.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-02-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
mirodin
mirodin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
In this context I want to mention TiddlyWiki which I use quiet a while for note taking.
mirodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
If you're a Chrome user and you're looking for speed and simplicity, take a look at Google Keep.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote