Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Ben McIntyre's Operation Mincemeat, Agent Zig-zag and Double Cross. I found them interesting and well written.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Sounds trite, but if you liked Escape from Camp 14, you should love Coming Out of the Ice: An Unexpected Life by Victor Herman. However, the latter is not an eBook, and a check of the Abu Dhabi National Library fails to find a copy.

Highly recommended and popular historical non-fiction authors who wrote when I was younger include sometimes collaborators Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre. I only found one of their English books in my Abu Dhabi catalog search, but you might come across them almost anywhere.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Sounds trite, but if you liked Escape from Camp 14, you should love Coming Out of the Ice: An Unexpected Life by Victor Herman. However, the latter is not an eBook, and a check of the Abu Dhabi National Library fails to find a copy.

Highly recommended and popular historical non-fiction authors who wrote when I was younger include sometimes collaborators Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre. I only found one of their English books in my Abu Dhabi catalog search, but you might come across them almost anywhere.
I mostly buy my books, either online in an eBook format or from a bookstore. I rarely go to a library. Thanks for your recommendations.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
There's a book I really liked called The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind, written by a kid who made a wind generator out of scrap bits and odds and ends in Malawi, Africa, at the age of 14. It talks about his family, growing up, living through a horrible famine, and his ingenuity and perserverence in making this generator. It was really good.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Thank you!
This is completely irrelevant to the thread topic. My first language is Arabic and I can't help but comment on your avatar, it looks really cool. I noticed the word (سلام) in your avatar (the green writing), which means peace in Arabic, did you know that? And what's the other language? The one on the top, I'm assuming it's Peace written in a language I don't recognize.
Thanks for your comments. The avatar is in the Public Domain, and has the word 'Peace' in English, Arabic, and Hebrew. I chose it for that reason.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I highly recommend Jeff and Michael Shaara. Michael Shaara wrote The Killer Angels and excellent history of the battle of Gettysburg and his son, Jeff, wrote a great history of WW2. Technically the books are fiction but are very accurate and well written.

Similarly, I recommend the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. These focus on Victorian Britain and, although they are fiction as well, are very historically accurate and a real pleasure to read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone read The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell? Yes, I know they're historical fiction books

Anyway, for those who have read it, is the series any good?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Anyone read The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell? Yes, I know they're historical fiction books

Anyway, for those who have read it, is the series any good?
Excellent as is most of Bernard Cornwell's Books.
Try The Sharpe Series too. You will not regret it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Excellent as is most of Bernard Cornwell's Books.
Try The Sharpe Series too. You will not regret it.
Apache
Do you suggest that I start with The Saxon Series or The Sharpe?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like both. Right now the Saxon Series is shorter with only 6 books. The Sharpe Series has 24.
Apache
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Have you read anything by David McCullough? I just bought John Adams and 1776 and both got really good reviews. He has lots of books about famous historical figures and events.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic

I read 1776 in Hardback and enjoyed it. I have John Adams on my TBR, but have not gotten to it yet.
Another good one is Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.
Apache
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
Have you read anything by David McCullough? I just bought John Adams and 1776 and both got really good reviews. He has lots of books about famous historical figures and events.
To be honest, I haven't read anything by David McCullough. I've actually been wanting to read John Adams for quite some time but never got around to reading it. I've heard a lot of people say that it's one of the best biographies they've ever read. So I'm extremely interested and will definitely be reading it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I read 1776 in Hardback and enjoyed it. I have John Adams on my TBR, but have not gotten to it yet.
Another good one is Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.
Apache
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Apache
Readaholic

United States Destroyer Operations in World War II by Theodore Roscoe

Quote:
detailed account of the operations of U.S. destroyers in World War II, prepared from personal narratives and official records.
This is the most detailed book about destroyers and destroyer operations in WWII. Detailed maps with time lines for most major battles. A well written and fascinating account of the destroyer crews and what they endured. The book also contains a list of every WWII Destroyer and their Commanders. My best friends father is in this book for his actions during the Normandy invasion and action against German Z Boats in the Mediterranean.
I have it in HB and have read it three times over the years. Unfortunately it is not available as an ebook.
Apache
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
McCullough is a great writer, though his books tend to be huge. Truly loved "Truman" and have "John Adams" on my history TBR pile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote