Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to start this off by hightly recommending Donald Harington, an Arkansan who has been compared to William Faulkner, but with his own special brand of humor.
Don
Just a quick note - Amazon currently has a 30 for $3 special, which includes Volumes 1, 2, and 3 of 'The Nearly Complete Works of Donald Harington.' Each volume contains five complete novels (they're also available for checkout in the KOLL.) Here's a link to a search for his works:

Donald Harington books on sale
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Just a quick note - Amazon currently has a 30 for $3 special, which includes Volumes 1, 2, and 3 of 'The Nearly Complete Works of Donald Harington.' Each volume contains five complete novels (they're also available for checkout in the KOLL.) Here's a link to a search for his works:

Donald Harington books on sale

It's great to know these are all out and actually on sale.

Thank you for the info!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #48
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
For horror fans, Tim Curran is disgustingly underrated. He has his hands in everything from post-apocalyptic to Lovecraftian to zombies and horror westerns. Everything I've read of his has been fantastic and I'm surprised that barely any horror fans know of him.
I've read one of his books, Dead Sea. It was really intense! I'll certainly try more of his.

Another little known Horror writer I recommend is Austin Crawley. Oh and Graeme Reynolds if you like a good werewolf story!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #49
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
John Franklin Bardin.(1916-1981)

Author of about a dozen crime novels. I once had (possibly still have but can't find, probably in a box somewhere with all my missing left socks) the John Franklin Bardin Omnibus, (1976) which contained his first three novels:

The Deadly Percheron 1946
The Last of Philip Banter 1947
Devil Take the Blue-Tail Fly 1948

The are all outstanding, and extraoordinary, while his later books are, so I believe, more conventional. Blue Tail Fly is regarded widely as his masterpiece.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #50
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejaxn View Post
A lot of foreign writers are overlooked. Two wonderful Spanish writers are Carlos Ruiz Zafon (slightly gothic thrillers set in the Spanish Civil Wat) and Arturo Perez Reverte (historical thrillers). Translations are excellent so there is no awkwardness that sometimes happens with other books.
I agree. Arturo Pérez-Reverte was a war correspondent for 20 years, is a member of the Royal Spanish Academy and, above all, an excellent novelist and master of the Spanish language. He is one of my favourite authors. I consider La Carta Esférica (The Nautical Chart), La Reina del Sur (The Queen of the South) and El Tango de la guardia vieja (What we become) as his masterpieces, but all his work is high quality material. His historical series Alatriste, consisting of six novels is a must-read for lovers of Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers.

Last edited by Pablo; 05-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote