Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Cross Platform Reading

I read mostly on my iDevices...but I also have a Kindle Fire tablet (many, actually). Pretty much none of the best iOS reading apps support Android (surely there has to be some amount of business to be gained from 2billion android users).

There is one that I like: FBReader Plus. I am able to load books onto a google drive folder and FBReader will parse out the author, title, series.

It was nice for being able to add a book to my mom's Kindle Fire tablet. Just load it up to the cloud and she can access it via her FBReader app.

Syncs your reading spot no matter which device or platform.

I still read most ebooks via Kindle app as I get most of my books from Amazon. I've set up Callibre a dozen times or so bu always repurpose my servers and lose it. My fault, not Callibre's. I'm just not THAT interested in the level of organization and effort.

One nice thing about Kindle books is when they offer a reduced audible version when you buy the ebook. It's REALLY cool to switch between reading and listening and your "last read" spot is kept.

Interestingly enough, when I have my Amazon Echo read an audible book it does NOT sync the last spot with my audible app on iOS.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple does not write the apps like FBReader Plus. The people who created FBReader Plus write the apps for the various platforms. Try writing to the creators of FBReader Plus to see if they will write an iOS version of the app. They will likely turn their noses up to you. But again, that is not Apple's fault, that is squarely the choice the FBReader Plus creator has made. Again, it is the creator of FBReader Plus who is short selling her/his app by not making it available on iOS as well as Android, it is not Apple's fault.

The smart app makers write app versions for both Android and iOS. Some just write a single version for one or the other. No one can control that except the app creator who makes that choice.

ETA: Many app developers stay away from iOS because they don't like the security rules. That is their problem, not Apple's. I personally prefer the strict security rules on iOS. It makes using the iThingies way more safe and secure than any Android device will ever be. Android is written by Google, and Google has made it clear through repeated actions over many years that they don't give a darn about our security nor protecting our personal data and information. As a matter of fact, they love data mining and selling our info to the highest bidders. Give me a garden wall any day over total chaos.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-09-2019 at 11:10 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
There is an FBReader app for iOS.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
The iOS version of FBReader isnt bad, but its not as good as some others. The only other cross platform reader I can think of is Google Books, and its handy because its happy to store your own books on Google Drive (or whatever its called these days) as well as sync your locations, but I'm not interested in Google knowing what I read so I dont use it. The apps are OK, but again, not as full featured as others.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Apple does not write the apps like FBReader Plus.
Yes...I'm not sure that wasn't already universally understood. FBReader Plus is the ONE app I like who's developer HAS developed for both iOS and Android.

It's not my favorite reading app, but it covers the bases most important to me:

1. Has a cloud sync and storage of ebooks
2. Book management has Author, Title and SERIES! The series one not always found in book apps.
3. I can change the lighting with a swipe up/down on the screen without having to go to a menu option (loved that since way back in the Stanza days)
4. I can configure the forward back taps...left and right are both "forward" for me
5. Configurable backgrounds/text/fonts. A little on the geeky side here verses giving you some "prebuilt themes" to work from. Still, you can get what you want.

And for cross platform...the sync works just fine.

I haven't tested it's ability to connect to online free book sources....something I really like about Marvin.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
It can't access other sources in the free version, no idea about the paid one, but I dont want to buy it just to find out its just as restricted. The Android version has no such limits. It was my go-to when I was using android phones. (and I still miss Stanza)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 04-09-2019 at 05:52 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
The iOS version of FBReader isnt bad, but its not as good as some others. The only other cross platform reader I can think of is Google Books, and its handy because its happy to store your own books on Google Drive (or whatever its called these days) as well as sync your locations, but I'm not interested in Google knowing what I read so I dont use it. The apps are OK, but again, not as full featured as others.
My experience too. FBReader on iOS is rather weak compared to its Android version, in fairness that's probably because it's in an early stage of development. I went ahead and paid for a copy because I like the Android version and want to support the developer in this cross-platform effort. He's doing it right. I have tried Google Books too, it's reliable and does everything well, but has a limited feature set and of course cannot read anything Amazon without conversion. I've tried some of the other reading apps recently including Kybook 3, but the ones I've settled on for now are Kindle for everything Amazon, Mapleread for everything else. I don't mind using 2 apps, but would rather use 1. If Mapleread ever adds AZW3/Mobi support, that will do the trick. I've pinged the dev, no reply yet so I'll take that as no for now.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote