Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone! Now I know, at least, that the authors get some advantage, and have, presumably, decided that they'd rather have those advantages than have anti-Amazon curmudgeons like me as customers.
I really wonder how many authors / publishers signing up to KDP Select realise that they are losing sales via Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and others and exactly what they are giving Amazon. The advantages are all on Amazon's side. The KDP Sselect advantages are less than also selling via other channels (which costs nothing).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My main worry about Kindle Unlimited and Kobo Plus is that at some point they'll become the only option.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
My main worry about Kindle Unlimited and Kobo Plus is that at some point they'll become the only option.
Is this a legit concern? On what do you base it?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
This is my fear too. I have no interest in either offering, and hope that individual books will continue to be available for purchase
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #35
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Is this a legit concern? On what do you base it?
Software as a service and online-only video games. Once the server goes down, it's gone.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think the question was "on what do you base your concerns that ebooks will eventually go to an 'all-subscription' model". Not "what would be your concerns IF all ebooks went to subscription-only" (not that KU is online-only to begin with).

I don't see any evidence that indicates that all ebooks are moving toward a subscription-only purchase model.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I doubt it.

There are people that only read once, people that only use subsriptions, or streaming, people that only use libraries. Not just books, but music and video.

There are people that mostly buy content.

There are people that buy & subscribe/rent.

Publishers & authors would not agree to a KU model only. They like to be paid full amount no matter how much of a book is read. They'd suffer a loss of income. Some readers would never embrace subscription only, so Amazon would lose sales.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Totally guessing here, but my take is that subscription models squeeze the middle; they’re part of that ongoing trend. Top authors in general would not go that route (unless amply compensated as marketing for said service, e.g., J.K. Rowling), the large bottom of the writing market does better by subscription than other models, but the middle “cover its costs at best” group who rely on tradpub will continue to get less and less of the pie. Which I personally think is a shame, as my tastes overall tend to neither bestsellers nor self-pubbed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #39
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Authors seem very willing to be in this "cheating" program. More new authors added all the time. Amazon isn't "cheating" me of privacy. No more than any other retailer.

I love KU. Between it and my local library, I never lack reading material.
I’m not jumping on the cheating train, but I think a more telling statistic would be author retention rather than author acquisition. And more so author retention after those authors have tested to see the difference between exclusivity to Amazon and opting out.

If Quoth is any example exclusivity isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Though I’m not sure if they’ve tested going exclusive to see what it does to sales.

Of course exclusivity would have to have excessively better sales since any word of mouth sales would need to be in the Amazon ecosystem, while obviously without exclusivity the reader can use whatever device they want.

So perhaps cheat isn’t accurate, maybe disillusions the author would be better. Though other companies do this as well, it doesn’t make it a morally good* thing.

*companies aren’t bound to be morally good but we can still judge them based on their business practices.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:26 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
*companies aren’t bound to be morally good but we can still judge them based on their business practices.
And yet proprietors of the likes of Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn seem to be mostly exempt from such aggressive moral oversight.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #41
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And yet proprietors of the likes of Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn seem to be mostly exempt from such aggressive moral oversight.
I can’t speak for everyone but I suspect the ins and outs of how a business local only to you would have no affect on how others continue to not do business with them.

I’m sure on a local level there are some forums, message boards, or merely word of mouth on local business. But given in this thread we have people from I believe every hemisphere of the planet it’s unlikely that we would all have an ongoing buying relationship with any local business we all have in common.

Put simply, Amazon has more customer reach thus they have more voices calling them out.

Last edited by MGlitch; 05-25-2022 at 11:59 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I doubt that will happen. You can still buy music and movies.

I am very unlikely to be one that moves to a platform like Kindle Unlimited or Kobo Plus, but I am glad they exist. They obviously serve a base and are of value, even if they are not for me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just checked and it would appear the check in the Alf/Harper version of DeDRM for Kindle has been modified in the NoDRM version to print a warning and then to continue. Not something I really cared about since Amazon format library loans are not available outside of the USA.

The original discussion was on reddit.com
But, even if Kindle library loans were unable to have the DRM removed, you just get the ePub version, remove the DRM, and then convert to KF8. Problem solved.

But I've never had a Kindle Library loan not work with the ALF tools. Granted, I've rarely borrowed such. So I have no idea where this idea came from that Kindle Library loans were not able to have the DRM removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Software as a service and online-only video games. Once the server goes down, it's gone.

Before the Kindle, Amazon sold eBooks in LIT, Mobi, and PDF. When the main hard drive had to be replaced or the computer was upgraded, the DRM needed to be refreshed. So you had to download Mobi or PDF again. Amazon at some point decided to stop selling eBooks (still before the Kindle) and that left everyone who bought Mobi or PDF who needed to refresh the DRM screwed. Amazon did not keep downloads going for eBooks purchased.

The server doesn't have to go down. The provider can just decide not to provide support any longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Totally guessing here, but my take is that subscription models squeeze the middle; they’re part of that ongoing trend. Top authors in general would not go that route (unless amply compensated as marketing for said service, e.g., J.K. Rowling), the large bottom of the writing market does better by subscription than other models, but the middle “cover its costs at best” group who rely on tradpub will continue to get less and less of the pie. Which I personally think is a shame, as my tastes overall tend to neither bestsellers nor self-pubbed.
No, subscription as in KU doesn't benefit the bottom of the market authors. Music streaming is even worse.