Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
New price!

There are two versions: one with 32Gb rom at 155€, and another with 64Gb rom at 195€

The only thing I don't like about that phone is not having a better camera. Even only having a eInk screen we would like to do good photos

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/10/2...tery-launched/
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:20 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Translated launch article

Translated listing at jd.com

1199 yuan for 32GN storage, 1499 for 64GB storage.

With VAT, that's around £160 for the cheaper version.

Clearly more than originally suggested, but still a very good price. If it becomes available in the UK I think I'll be getting one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #18
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If it becomes available in the UK I think I'll be getting one.
#metoo

I would most def try the H5 if it were for sale in Europe, as it's so much more handy to buy them from a local distributor, so you could return it in case the phone, for some reason, falls short of expectations. I don't know if any Hisense e-ink phone has been for sale in Europe previously, though rumor has it the new ones might.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

They'll prolly not reply, but I wrote them. Asking if it'll be released in Europe or America. Both the A5 and A6L looks promising, promising indeed.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
There's a new pretty detailed video of the A5, don't know if anyone else linked it anywhere here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9mWonYybeU
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #21
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
There's a new pretty detailed video of the A5, don't know if anyone else linked it anywhere here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9mWonYybeU
Wow! This really does look to be everything I want in a phone. As soon as it is available on AliExpress I'm ordering it.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #22
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Actually it is available now on AliExpress. I have now ordered it.

It does say "Original Firmware". I'm assuming that means that it doesn't currently have the Google Play Store. I currently have the Hisense A2 Pro and while that has the Play Store, I do believe it was hacked onto it by the seller on AliExpress and was never standard from Hisense. As I had thought it unlikely that the A5 would ship with Google Play I have been replacing my apps and altering my usage of the A2 Pro so that I am no longer dependant on having the Play Store. Of course I could be wrong and it may be on there and there's every chance it will be hacked on there by the sellers in the future or by users like it was with the A6 (albeit with some bugs) but it's not super important to me.

Last edited by cartz; 11-03-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Yup, I ordered one as well. Probably should have waited until November 11th to see if there would be a bit of a deal on Chinese Singles Day... but I've already waited long enough for such a device. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my A2 Pro.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
I have now ordered it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I ordered one as well
Great! I am eager to know your thoughts, when you've had your first impressions!

@cartz, with no Google Play do you just download whatever apps you need to another Android device and then use an apk extractor and send the apk files to the e-ink device?
Old 11-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #25
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
@cartz, with no Google Play do you just download whatever apps you need to another Android device and then use an apk extractor and send the apk files to the e-ink device?
I install the f-droid store and from there install the Aurora Store. I will also install the Amazon App Store.

If there is an app I need that is not on the Amazon store I will install it using the Aurora store which grabs the apps from the Play store.

Not all apps will work though as some require google play services to function. For example you won't get Google Maps to work. Instead I install HereWeGo for navigation using Aurora which I have come to prefer now anyway.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #26
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
For example you won't get Google Maps to work. Instead I install HereWeGo for navigation using Aurora which I have come to prefer now anyway.
I have installed google maps on my Kingrow K1, which has not Google Play/Services and, unfortunately, not even a GSF id to try a manual registration, like Onyx for example does.
If i remember well. i took google maps package from apkpure store.
Google Maps happen to work fine the same, though you can't login to see your chronology for instance.
Gmail work with any IMAP client, for youtube there is newpipe.
What i missed the most on a google-less phone was Google Calendar.
No workaround there, i had to migrate my appointments and contacts to a CalDav/Cardav server.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These don’t have the correct bands to work in the US do they?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #28
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Not sure about the US. However, the Hisense A2 Pro works in Toronto, Canada. So hopefully the A5 will as well.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
It looks like it has bands for all US carriers except US Cellular.

See this link.

This link seems to have a full list of supported frequencies
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #30
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It looks like it has bands for all US carriers except US Cellular.

See this link.

This link seems to have a full list of supported frequencies
Interesting..
It does seem like it's missing several LTE bands for different US carriers though. That could be a problem in spots for some..
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote