Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #61
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cex View Post
Hello,
I tried your script with Bookerly font for eInk devices (extracted from PW2 firmware), but I can't get rid of the Italics problem described in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262943.

I have also tried to correct metadata manually, but can't find any error in the fonts. I have also tried all possible font names with same results.

I'm using sideloaded epubs (have not tested with kepubs) on Glo HD, and I always get italic as bold-italic.

Could someone provide some guidelines to correct this issue?

Thank you.
Sounds to me like it could be a PANOSE issue. Did you choose to strip this information when you generated the font?

EDIT: Dod you restart your Kobo after adding the fonts to the reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stop using the LCD version of Bookerly and pull the eInk version out of the Kindle firmware. I can confirm that the eInk version works no issue and no need to Koboify.
Jon... Jon... Jon....

Do we need to test your reading comprehension skills? What part of "extracted from PW2 firmware" do you not understand?

Last edited by sherman; 10-22-2015 at 05:07 PM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman;3192489Jon... Jon... Jon....

Do we need to test your reading comprehension skills? What part of [B
"extracted from PW2 firmware"[/B] do you not understand?
Sorry, my mistake.

Anyway, I didn't do anything to the eInk version of Bookerly other than rename them and side-load them on my H2O. I used the advanced font controls to increase the weight and that was all and it Bookerly work as it should on my H2O. Oh and my version also came from the PW2 firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #63
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't remember if I had any issues with Bookerly myself, but I don't recall any problems...

Maybe I should test it again.

EDIT: Nope, no problems with either an original version, or a modified version of Bookerly (taken from the Voyage FW) on my Kobo H2O

Last edited by sherman; 10-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #64
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Glo; Glo HD; PW2; Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Sounds to me like it could be a PANOSE issue. Did you choose to strip this information when you generated the font?

EDIT: Dod you restart your Kobo after adding the fonts to the reader?
I restarted every time I tested a change, but I have not tried to remove PANOSE.
Will check later and come back with the results...
Cex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:06 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I restarted every time I tested a change, but I have not tried to remove PANOSE.
Will check later and come back with the results...
I'm using the same version of Bookerly and I did not remove panose information. I just use the eInk Bookerly fonts as is other than renaming them. They work no bother on my H2O.
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #66
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
I'm using the same version of Bookerly and I did not remove panose information. I just use the eInk Bookerly fonts as is other than renaming them. They work no bother on my H2O.
Could you provide the exact names you are using?
Maybe I have not tried the correct combination yet.

Thank you.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #67
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Could you provide the exact names you are using?
Maybe I have not tried the correct combination yet.

Thank you.
The names should be:
Code:
Bookerly-Regular.ttf
Bookerly-Italic.ttf
Bookerly-Bold.ttf
Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #68
Cex
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
The names should be:
Code:
Bookerly-Regular.ttf
Bookerly-Italic.ttf
Bookerly-Bold.ttf
Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
Those are the names that the font files have by default (at least the eInk version I extracted) and they have the issue. JSWolf also suggests that font renaming is required.

I tried those names, removing "-Regular" from first file, and rename using -i/-b/-z, and I get the same result in all cases (I turn off, and then on the reader after loading the font). I think I get the same result in all cases, except with -i/-b/-z, where I got all the text in bold italic. I always test with epub, not kepub, and factory firmware without any modification.

I will test again, just in case I messed up with names or font files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_fonts.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	143086  

Last edited by Cex; 10-23-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add Kindle fonts names capture
Old 10-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Those are the names that the font files have by default (at least the eInk version I extracted) and they have the issue. JSWolf also suggests that font renaming is required.

I tried those names, removing "-Regular" from first file, and rename using -i/-b/-z, and I get the same result in all cases (I turn off, and then on the reader after loading the font). I think I get the same result in all cases, except with -i/-b/-z, where I got all the text in bold italic. I always test with epub, not kepub, and factory firmware without any modification.

I will test again, just in case I messed up with names or font files.
When I look at Bookerly using Windows font viewer I get the following...

Filename: Bookerly-Regular.ttf
File size: 983,004
Font name: Bookerly
Version: Version 1.01 August 17, 2015
Opentype Layout, Digitally Signed, Truetype Outlines

Filename: Bookerly-Italic.ttf
File size: 969,596

Filename: Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
File size: 1,035,536

Filename: Bookerly-Bold.ttf
File size: 993,048
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Are you sure that the different experiences with Bookerly aren't purely down to whether you're reading kepubs or plain epubs. I seem to remember that all 4 variations worked fine in epubs, but Italic displayed as BoldItalic in kepubs. Perhaps, I'm repeating old news?

I didn't spend any time trying to fix for kepubs.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, this behaves properly on kepubs on my H2O:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookerly_Kobo.png
Views:	517
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	143124  
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When I look at Bookerly using Windows font viewer I get the following...

Filename: Bookerly-Regular.ttf
File size: 983,004
Interesting. The versions I extracted from the Voyage 5.6.5 firmware are about half the sizes you are showing. For example, the -Regular is 450048 bytes. The version is the same at 1.010 with the Dalton Maag copyright from 2014. The date information just shows as unknown.

OTOH, the fonts files needed no renaming before being copied to my H2O and my font test epub doesn't show any issues with mixed up styles/weights.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #73
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting. The versions I extracted from the Voyage 5.6.5 firmware are about half the sizes you are showing. For example, the -Regular is 450048 bytes. The version is the same at 1.010 with the Dalton Maag copyright from 2014. The date information just shows as unknown.

OTOH, the fonts files needed no renaming before being copied to my H2O and my font test epub doesn't show any issues with mixed up styles/weights.
I'm showing sizes that seem to be along the lines of DNSB, same version and copyright, mine were from a PW2. I haven't run them through this script, but they pass my test epub, not too shabby looking either. I'm stilling trying to pick between Literata and Bookerly for my font of choice for reading.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On a PW2:

Code:
stat -c '%n: %s' Bookerly*                                                                                                          
Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf: 451448
Bookerly-Bold.ttf: 446684
Bookerly-Italic.ttf: 452208
Bookerly-Regular.ttf: 450048

md5sum Bookerly*                                                                                                          
8e5aa4db8ddbade4a4ffb1f5b65c36bf  Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
60ccb09b8b3c3e56fd83dbb36b5f2404  Bookerly-Bold.ttf
80d006df82df190f6d8f6c387bb347ec  Bookerly-Italic.ttf
0e2bb478d072d68082b703aeb238d2d5  Bookerly-Regular.ttf
V 1.010
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
On a PW2:

Code:
stat -c '%n: %s' Bookerly*                                                                                                          
Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf: 451448
Bookerly-Bold.ttf: 446684
Bookerly-Italic.ttf: 452208
Bookerly-Regular.ttf: 450048

md5sum Bookerly*                                                                                                          
8e5aa4db8ddbade4a4ffb1f5b65c36bf  Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
60ccb09b8b3c3e56fd83dbb36b5f2404  Bookerly-Bold.ttf
80d006df82df190f6d8f6c387bb347ec  Bookerly-Italic.ttf
0e2bb478d072d68082b703aeb238d2d5  Bookerly-Regular.ttf
V 1.010
I did forget that I modified the font metrics to have a smaller built-in line height because as it comes, the line height is too large.

Tags
font