Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
Bondaygege
Bondaygege began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
koreader and auto rotate Android

so I'm using one of the newer Samsung tablets. and I was delighted to see my favorite kobo reader, Koreader, was available for Android. I still love this reader. it's my favorite and it work so well.

I was wondering if we might someday have an auto rotate feature for it? that would definitely be a nice bonus. I'm using the Samsung S7 Fe. I have also noticed a few times that it has crashed or gone black when it's sitting in one of the temporary opened windows, if I have been using another app upon returning to it. this tablet is completely update.
Bondaygege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Autorotate is there, but it is disabled for a couple of reasons:

- there's no common logic:

On the rest of platforms/models with a gyro where autorotation is supported we need to do something to rotate, so prevent autorotation is just ignore doing something.

On Android autorotation happens by itself (it is managed by the framework), so setting a specific rotation would disable autorotation.

Current UI assumes the paradigm used by other platforms: rotating requires doing something, autorotates requires detecting gyro changes and doing the same something.

That makes possible that setting a manual orientation doesn't disturb future changes based on autorotation.

On android that's not possible, setting a manual orientation would disable autorotation.

Which leads me to the second reason:

- there's no common UI to switch from/to full sensor/ landscape sensor/ portrait sensor and manual modes. Writting one would be awesome, so patches are very welcome
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
... Writting one would be awesome, so patches are very welcome
Guys, you should create a KOreader Developer Academy training where you could teach the basics for the people who are interested
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post
Guys, you should create a KOreader Developer Academy training where you could teach the basics for the people who are interested
http://koreader.rocks/doc/

Not all the modules/functions are documented. If you find something undocumented and not trivial please report in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/

*Edit* also looking at non trivial plugins might help to get familiarized with some of the widgets used in the UI.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondaygege View Post
I'm using the Samsung S7 Fe. I have also noticed a few times that it has crashed or gone black when it's sitting in one of the temporary opened windows, if I have been using another app upon returning to it. this tablet is completely update.
Samsung is very known by its aversion to let user-started apps to keep its state in the background (nº 1 in https://dontkillmyapp.com/)

You can follow the recommendations in the page. From KO itself you might want to uncheck "optimize battery" in Settings->Device.

Anyways, being killed (by the user or by the framework) shouldn't make the program unresponsive. Feel free to report it as a bug in github (in that case please follow the bug template)
Old 05-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
Bondaygege

Another thing I would like to ask. I just got a bluetooth keyboard for this big android tablet and I notice it doesn't have an effect on Koreader as I expected it might have some page turning functionality, since reaching forward all the time on a larger tablet at distance is uncomfortabe.
Is there any way in Android to get some keyboard functionality? That would be awesome. Love it.

thanks,

James
Old 05-30-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondaygege View Post
Another thing I would like to ask. I just got a bluetooth keyboard for this big android tablet and I notice it doesn't have an effect on Koreader as I expected it might have some page turning functionality, since reaching forward all the time on a larger tablet at distance is uncomfortabe.
Is there any way in Android to get some keyboard functionality? That would be awesome. Love it.

thanks,

James
See current mapped keys in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...map.lua#L9-L30

You can also remap any of the keycodes following https://github.com/koreader/koreader...customize-keys

Full support is not available yet. It shouldn't be too difficult but requires some knowledge, time and lots of motivation. If somebody wants to try please read https://github.com/koreader/android-...ment-961005237
Old 06-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #8
Bondaygege

I was just taking a look inside the KoReader program. is there a place within a particular menu where you can remap the keys? for example for a page turning press the key that you wish. and then it has been designated.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro

Nope, you need to do it following the steps described in the wiki links above

Tags
koreader, samsung s7fe, tablet