Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #35206
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Any legitimate marking messages from a legitimate company can be stopped on request, and the Do Not Call registry limits most of those just fine. Problem is the vast majority of spam comes from con artists, criminals and other shady fly-by-night types, often off-shore, using fake or throw-away numbers and info, who have no intention of obeying any law or request and no fear of being identified and blocked or found and sanctioned (unless you mean "sanctioned" like when that Russian spammer got shot in the head).
Here's more of that "breaking news: water is wet" type info: Criminals don't obey laws.
Yes ^ , precisely right. Sure, the DNC registry is fine for the regular, typical, law-obeying companies, but the scammers? Not a chance.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #35207
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And the Canadian equivalent is even worse. With all sorts of legal exceptions, including politicians!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #35208
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And the Canadian equivalent is even worse. With all sorts of legal exceptions, including politicians!

We have those exemptions here too, but I don't get much legitimate political spam. One or two before an election maybe.

Last edited by ApK; 05-16-2022 at 02:52 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #35209
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is/was a DNC register here, but there are/were so many exceptions I never bothered registering my now defunct landline number. I'm not sure if you can register mobile numbers - at one time you couldn't.

Interestingly the two spam SMS messages I was getting every day have ceased - maybe they were coming from here

I only get a few easy to spot spam messages on my mobile devices. I also get messages from my telco to say that nnnn nnn nnn just called but didn't leave a message. Not sure how that works - the phone didn't ring.

Because I live in a district that's been held by Labor on wide margins since federation I don't get any unsolicited calls, emails, or messages from political actors.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:37 AM   #35210
tempest@de
Evangelist
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I like reading your posts, you give me insight about how things are in other countries, your experiences are so different from mine, I don’t think spam calls / messages are really a thing here, usually the ones calling are trying to sell you something, it looks in other countries spam is very common.

I found interesting that the politicians and political campaigns can call you and that it is legal to do so, as always they looked after themselves making a law to protect their right to annoy someone else.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #35211
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I don’t think spam calls / messages are really a thing here, usually the ones calling are trying to sell you something, it looks in other countries spam is very common.
Spam is unsolicited commercial email. It's all about trying to sell you something.
More often than not, it's an scam, not even a merely annoying attempt to sell you something honestly.

Quote:
I found interesting that the politicians and political campaigns can call you and that it is legal to do so, as always they looked after themselves making a law to protect their right to annoy someone else.
In a less cynical view, that exception is about a public service, to keep citizens informed about who's running their government. Same reason they get different rules for TV airtime than commercial advertisers.
Sure, in a sense, a political message is trying to "sell" their candidate or their message to you to get your vote, but it's not quite the same as someone trying to get money from you for their own profit.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #35212
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If I have to give a site I'm not sure of working contact info, I use a usually use a custom one-time email address that I can trace back to the source and block if I get spam.

While we're still on the spam topic, I want to give a Hall of Shame nomination to the site "bestquotes.com."

They are one of those site I had to interact with, because reasons, but didn't trust. I get more spam to the address I gave them than any other. I only keep it unblocked and even allow to get to my spam folder because I'm curious to see how broad and deep the abuse is.
The site is a lead generator, so they are totally up front about the fact their reason for being is to provide your info to others. I fully expected to get insurance spam, car buying spam, loan spam and other related stuff, but I immediately started getting pure scam and phishing email in the vein of IRS fraud notices and Nigerian Prince scams.

So if you are genuinely looking for insurance quote comparisons, don't use them!
Old 05-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #35213
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm curious, @ApK, did they actually get you a reasonable set of quotes? If so, they might be useful but ONLY with a throwaway email address. (And it would get thrown away here, for sure.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #35214
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm curious, @ApK, did they actually get you a reasonable set of quotes? If so, they might be useful but ONLY with a throwaway email address. (And it would get thrown away here, for sure.)

I only provided them my info because I got a reward of free coins in an Android game I was playing.

If you were serious, I'm sure there are more trustworthy options out there for comparison shopping that are more deserving of your clicks and eyeballs.

ApK
Old 05-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #35215
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Oh well; had another check on the eye today. No real change; still lots of debris in the eye. Am told to be patient On the bright side, my scheduled treatment next Thursday for Diabetic Macular Edema in that eye is cancelled, but replaced by a checkup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:02 AM   #35216
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Yesterday I had a customer who complained about the fact that we were closed on the Tuesday morning after Christmas, almost 5 months ago.

So I apologized profusely (and a tad bit sarcastically) for my appendix bursting that night, causing the store to close of a morning. And I told him that next time I have a medical emergency I'll try and do my best to have it during the weekend.

And then he still complained about the fact that we're closed for six days from Saturday. Luckily most customer don't mind and wished me a nice vacation.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:14 AM   #35217
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Oh well; had another check on the eye today. No real change; still lots of debris in the eye.
"debris" - a few weeks ago I had some of the that in my leg after I impaled it on a stick.

My GP dug some of it out under a local anaesthetic -- ouch muchly. He didn't get it all, so I spent six nights in hospital with 2 sessions under general anaesthetic - second for a skin graft.

It's pretty good now. The graft donor site has 'healed' sufficiently to not need a dressing (it looks pretty angry, but apparently that's normal) and I'm hoping I can lose the dressing on the wound site next week.

My GP apologised for not sending me direct to ED, but given the stress our hospitals are under I doubt I would have gotten the prompt treatment I did get without his detailed referral including xrays, ultrasound scans etc.

For a change the antibiotics I was given (oral and injected) didn't give me the shits.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #35218
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Yesterday I had a customer who complained about the fact that we were closed on the Tuesday morning after Christmas, almost 5 months ago.

So I apologized profusely (and a tad bit sarcastically) for my appendix bursting that night, causing the store to close of a morning. And I told him that next time I have a medical emergency I'll try and do my best to have it during the weekend.

And then he still complained about the fact that we're closed for six days from Saturday. Luckily most customer don't mind and wished me a nice vacation.
AAAAANNNND, you didn't jump across the counter and throttle him? Wow, now, that's self-control.

Hitch
Old 05-20-2022, 06:57 AM   #35219
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
AAAAANNNND, you didn't jump across the counter and throttle him? Wow, now, that's self-control.

Hitch

Sure, but I like to keep the cough screen in one piece. Also, I’ve found that you can piss that type of customer of by staying calm and nice, especially wishing them a nice day/weekend as they’re leaving the store seems to often enrage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #35220
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Sure, but I like to keep the cough screen in one piece. Also, I’ve found that you can piss that type of customer of by staying calm and nice, especially wishing them a nice day/weekend as they’re leaving the store seems to often enrage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to simply SMILE. Smile a lot. Smile big. Smile like you're the village idiot. OMG, it infuriates them.

(Of course, I also had to literally keep a speed bag in the back. As soon as they'd leave, I'd go in the back and punch the living s**t out of the speedbag. Gave me really nice delts and let off steam, but...the smiling like a maroon worked a treat.)

Hitch

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness