Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Smile Overdrive coming to MY Library :-)

I just saw a notice that this summer my local library will be getting the Overdrive lending service. Sounds exciting!
What are peoples experiences with Overdrive?
How do you get the book to your kindle? from amazon? your computer?
Do you need special software for overdrive???

so many questions...
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It's a lot more complicated than getting the book from the usual places, plus every book I want has this crazy long wait list...

Life is too short to wait for a book.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't find it complicated at all. I don't use my library very often, because they don't often have books I want, but when I do, the process is fairly seamless.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use it all the time. For the Kindle, there is no software that needs to be downloaded. When you borrow a Kindle ebook, the library will provide a link to Amazon, where you will be prompted to download the book. Once you download it to your Kindle, it will appear on your list of books on your Manage Your Kindle page, and from there you can download it to any Kindle app or device.

As for the long wait lists, that doesn't bother me at all. Your library will allow you to create a wish list, which is unlimited, and a hold list, which will be limited to a few titles. When a book you have on hold becomes available, you will receive an email. If you end up with a lengthy wish list like I have (100+ titles at the Chicago Public Library), there is always something available for download.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Overdrive coming to your library is exciting! Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to develop a good selection of books. I also recommend to keep a wishlist. That way you don't forget books that sounded interesting and you can always find something available. Then you can put bestsellers / popular books on hold list. It would take me years to read all of the books that are on my wishlist!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Overdrive coming to your library is exciting! Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to develop a good selection of books. I also recommend to keep a wishlist. That way you don't forget books that sounded interesting and you can always find something available. Then you can put bestsellers / popular books on hold list. It would take me years to read all of the books that are on my wishlist!
that sounds like my kindle already... it will take me years just to read the public domain/ free books I have. So part of me says what do I need the library for? but other parts says it should be fun and intresting.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
I just saw a notice that this summer my local library will be getting the Overdrive lending service. Sounds exciting!

so many questions...
If you use a Kindle it's easier than if you need epub, but neither is difficult.

You browse/search for the book you want. If it is available, you can immediately put it into your cart/selections (whatever they call it), check it out, and click on "get for Kindle" which whisks you away to Amazon where (for the most part) you can tell it what device or app to deliver it to. (The exception is Penguin, where you have to download it to your computer encoded for your Kindle and then sideload it to your Kindle.

After the lending period is over you can't open it anymore and can buy it from Amazon, delete it from your Kindle library, or just let it sit unopenable on your Kindle library--your choice.

If the book you want is not available, you put a hold on it and go ahead and read something else. They email you when it's ready to check out.

I use it a lot. The browsing interface isn't the best and the collections can be limited, but there's a lot of good books out there.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have way more free & public domain books on my ereader than I could probably read ever! The nice thing about the library is that it gives you access to contemporary books that aren't public domain and would cost money ($12.99-14.99 for some new releases).
Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I just got the monthly e-newsletter for my library and we're getting ebooks too! Squee! We're getting both Overdrive and something called Axis 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
It's a lot more complicated than getting the book from the usual places, plus every book I want has this crazy long wait list...
I don't know about borrowing books for the Kindle, but borrowing an EPUB is no more complicated than purchasing it. Find book, click download, transfer to ereader.

Quote:
Life is too short to wait for a book.
Those of us who don't share Giggleton's... unique... economic views and needs for instant gratification, we read something else while "waiting" for our turn.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
What are peoples experiences with Overdrive?.
Excellent. I thought I would hate that you can't pay a small fine in return for keeping an almost-done book another day or two. I still think it is a shame libraries aren't allowed to have eBook fines as a revenue source. But I've easily adjusted to not starting if I can't finish in time. I can always let the 72 hours run out and reserve it again.

The search functions can take a little getting used to. For example, Overdrive wants you to search for the author by:

FirstName LastName

and not, as in every other library system:

LastName, FirstName

Two libraries with an equally sized Overdrive collection may have a radically different selection. So it is a little hard to know in advance how much you will like it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The search functions can take a little getting used to. For example, Overdrive wants you to search for the author by:

FirstName LastName
Add quotation marks around that, or you'll end up with a lot of matches for other authors with the same first or last name.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
mikeayers
Zealot

so far it sounds pretty positive. I had not thought about not being able to renew your books. I guess it is an incentive to read faster and more!

I went to the library's web site looking for more info, but did not find any.

I did see one other thing of interest, they have a huge mp3 collection that you can download 3 songs a week from.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Unfortunately It is not as useful as it used to be. Since four of the big six publishers don't provide new ebooks, it has reduced the amount of the most popular books that are available.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:

so many questions...
Well now...here's what I went through...

clicky
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
So, I just downloaded my very first library book. A brand new experience for me. Like a little baby getting his first taste of chocolate pudding, my little fists balled up and my arms swung up-down-up-down gesturing more-more.

Getting started was a tedious task. It took a few days.

To do that, I had to...

Find the library homepage and discover I needed an on-line account.
Discover I had to actually go to the library to set up the account.
Visit the library to find out what my account user id and password is.
Attempt to flirt my way out of paying some late fees.
Pay the late fees.
Go home and sign on to the library's home page using my new id.
Find the very-well-hidden e-book link.
Select a book for download.
Download the book.
Scratch my head at the 2kb file that wouldn't open.
Actually read the instructions.
Download and install Adobe Digital Editions.
Go to the Adobe website and get a user id and password.
Promise Adobe the first born of my three sons.
Tell my installed copy of ADE what my user id and password was.
Open the file I previously downloaded in ADE.
Hook up my nook to my computer.
Authorize my nook in ADE.
Transfer the book to the nook.
Disconnect the nook from my computer.
Open the book on the nook.

Simple!
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
so far it sounds pretty positive. I had not thought about not being able to renew your books. I guess it is an incentive to read faster and more!

I went to the library's web site looking for more info, but did not find any.

I did see one other thing of interest, they have a huge mp3 collection that you can download 3 songs a week from.
Here is the link to the Amazon instructions on how to borrow a Kindle book from the library once you are ready to go.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200747550

Sounds like your library has Freegal which gives you access to the Sony Music catalog. It's a great service!