Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
jamesemu
jamesemu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature 11th Gen; and Kindle Signature 2023 model
Needing help with a Kindle problem

Please can someone help? As my main source of books are from Project Gutenberg, from the Public Domain. I was able to get this book into Calibre. And tried to do as either Sirtel or Quoth mentioned in solving my last Gutenberg book problem, use the Calibre, conversion option to convert to kf8.azw3, as jhowell did, in solving a previous problem. However I am fairly new to Calibre and in converting I might have messed up the file? The symptom is: after sideloading from Calibre, and ejecting the book arrived in my Kindle, but when I tried to open it , each page seemed to jump at about 10% each and I arrived at the end of the book?
Title of the book is: Memoirs of the Union's Three Great Civil War Generals by Ulysses S. Grant et al. The URL is: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4546
In selecting the download to send to Calibre, I understood it to be: pg4546-images-kf8.mobi file(676KB)

My Kindle is a 10th Gen Paperwhite and I use Windows 10 with Mozilla as the browser. Also I recently updated Calibre to 6.9.0 Thanks in advance for help. jamesemu
jamesemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Try downloading the EPUB3 or EPUB version and use calibre to convert that to kf8 or azw3, whatever calibre calls it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #3
jamesemu

Thank you for looking into my "Problem", and your suggestion. JPS
Too be honest, I tried so many different Conversions with Calibre, that I lost track. I believe I tried going from EPUB to Kf8 (azw3).
When you look at the selected book in Calibre, is there a way to see what different formats were used?
I should add, that when used the view to read it in Calibre, the same symptom occurred, as I had in the sideloaded version in Kindle.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I use Older Kindle all the time with Gutenberg. I convert to epub2 with smarten punctuation, Justify (doesn't break headings), remove paragraph spacing and set 1.4em 1st line indent.
Under styles remove line-height, white-space
Sometimes I remove extra nested blockquotes in HTML. If editing I'd remove the licence files at the end and all the end-of-file mobi page break divs in one go with the plug-in that does that.

I convert the epub2 to azw3 for Kindle.

I've not tried that file yet. No time.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-06-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
jamesemu

Thank you Quoth for reading about my Problem and your reply.
I would like to learn how you would do as you described.You are way more knowledgeable and experienced than I am, as a novice. In that my Kindle is 10th Gen, should I have used Older Kindle instead of regular Kindle, as the 1st step?
I want to learn more about Calibre, and have read through the Manual, and FAQ's, but maybe my Calibre Questions should be in a new thread under Calibre? Last question, where do I find EPUB2 with smarten punctuation? jamesemu
Advert
Old 12-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Gutenberg formatting is a bit strange. So best to take simplest (Older Kindle, though text is technically simplest) and convert to epub2. Then edit epub2. Use epub2 then as source for your Kindle in azw3 format as it's a bit nicer than mobi/KF7 (Older Kindle, which will work also on newest Kindles).

If you select Convert in Calibre you'll see the options.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've downloaded this (as Mobi and epub) and the contents apart from images are just three links to gutenberg web content.

So go here https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/988 and download the separate memoirs as "Older Kindle".
Convert to epub2
Edit
Convert epub to azw3
Send azw3 via USB

Last edited by Quoth; 12-07-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
jamesemu

Thank you Quoth, for you time, and being the only one, other than j.p.s, to try and help me.
I plan to try and follow your advice, but in that I want to try and learn more about how Calibre works, and how I must have damaged the file/book. I have been spending all of my time since creating the "problem", in reading and re-reading the help info. What confuses me is, currently with the book selected in the list on left under formats it shows a #5, and when I clk in the drop down arrows, it shows (from the top down) AZW3=2, EPUB=9,Mobi=13,Original_AZW3=1,Original_Mobi=1 I am trying to understand what this means in that I only have total of 13 bks in Calibre? And these #s stay the same for whatever bk is selected? Also in that I apparently messed up the bk I sent to Calibre, should I remove it and then start over, following your instructions? Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance, jamesemu
Old 12-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You should be exploring the calibe forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166

Maybe starting with the video tutorials at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118596

Then if you stil have questions ask in the calibre conversion subforum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=235
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #10
jamesemu

Thank you J.P.S, for your 3 suggestions to follow in my continued effort to learn more about how Calibre conversions work. I looked at the videos, read the Q&A's, and read through page 13 of the 214 pages of the Subforum on Conversions.To be honest I have a lot to learn, and am afraid to do as Quoth suggested, in his Post #4, and as I will wait until he has time to help me with the Edit, as he said:"The Gutenberg formatting is a bit strange. So best to take simplest (Older Kindle, though text is technically simplest) and convert to epub2. Then edit epub2. Use epub2 then as source for your Kindle in azw3 format as it's a bit nicer than mobi/KF7 (Older Kindle, which will work also on newest Kindles)." In that I think I tried too many conversions and damaged the original file? So I asked him if best I remove the book from Calibre, and start over? Meanwhile while I wait for his reply, as I said I am trying to educate myself through all means available. If it wasn't for having help from the MR Forum members, I probably would give up. Thanks again, jamesemu
Old 12-10-2022, 04:57 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Calibre Editor can edit azw3 and epub, but I think not "older kindle"/mobi/KF7, and conversion never changes the source file, but makes a copy.
Download "Older Kindle"
Add to Calibre
Convert to epub2 with settings mentioned above.
View epub in Calibre
Edit if needed.
Convert epub to azw3 and Send to Device (Kindle) via USB. Don't Use Amazon "Send to Kindle" service.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #12
jamesemu

Hello Quoth: I printed out all of your Posts, so I could follow your directions exactly. Sorry to report, after going thru each step results were with the same problem I originally had before. In order to try and give you some clues as follows. Removed to previous file from Calibre, and started over downloaded the "older Kindle" to send to Calibre. Then when I converted from Mobi to EPUB (I did not see an EPUB2? Only EPUB. I then thought I would try learning how to use, "smarten punctuation" and HTML, I admit it was somewhat "overwhelming" and I didn't change anything,and closed.Then I converted EPUB to azw3 and side-loaded via USB to my K. Then as I said when I opened the book, it showed the start of Gute, the title page, then the series of Portraits and jumping about 6% with ea page until the end. I went back to Calibre, to use the Viewer to see if it was any different, and disappointed to learn it responded the same as in Kindle.
Wondered how you got a choice of EPUB2 over plain EPUB? As a side note, I never would get Amazon involved with any of my book transactions. I really appreciate all you have done to try and help me, and wish I could send good news. Gratefully, jamesemu
Old 12-11-2022, 03:46 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Calibre offeres choice of epub2 or epub3 in default settings and in the Epub Output section when you do a conversion. Epub2 is regular or plain epub.

The original file you linked ONLY has the the portraits. The additional content is web links, which will not work well on a Kindle. Go to the main page and download the individual memoirs.

You are converting/loading an essentially useless ebook. Forget that ebook that has the portraits
So go here https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/988 and download the separate memoirs as "Older Kindle".
Convert to epub2
Edit
Convert epub to azw3
Send azw3 via USB

Ask further Calibre questions here:

I download various versions of the file and it simply just has web links and portraits. It does not contain the Memiors!

Last edited by Quoth; 12-11-2022 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:58 AM   #14
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The original file you linked ONLY has the the portraits. The additional content is web links, which will not work well on a Kindle. Go to the main page and download the individual memoirs.

Convert to epub2
Edit
Convert epub to azw3
Send azw3 via USB

Ask further Calibre questions here:

I download various versions of the file and it simply just has web links and portraits. It does not contain the Memiors!
As Quoth says. Converting the file from this link should work. Good luck.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
jamesemu

Me again, Quoth; In that my 90th birthday is coming up, I am sorry it has taken me so long to absorb your repeated suggestions. I removed the problem book and selected one civil war biography: General U.S. Grant; used "older Kindle " to send it to Calibre, converted, then tried to learn how to edit (re-played Kovid's video several times). What you said you have done with your Gutenberg books, "Sometimes I remove extra nested blockquotes in HTML. If editing I'd remove the license files at the end and all the end-of-file mobi page break divs in one go with the plug-in that does that." I need to learn where and how to get the plug-in. After I converted to azw3, and sideloaded to my K, I am happy to report, I now have a book I can read and enjoy, thanks to you. Gratefully, jamesemu