Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have combined Inspirational fiction (PandathePanda, kyteflyer) and Inspirational Stories [nonreligious] (sun surfer) under the combined heading Inspirational Stories (PandathePanda, kyteflyer, sun surfer).
This is a very broad category. And how do we know a book is inspirational without having read it? That would mean that all of the nominations would have to be books the nominator has already read.

It also means that 50 Shades of Grey could be nominated if one person found it inspiring. I could also nominate the first Star Trek book written by James Blish as it inspired me to read more Star Trek books. What inspires people is different and being inspired is very broad. This might not be as intended when it happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #92
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I won't be supporting classics in the vote. Since inception in 2008, the bookclub has read 38 classic books in 82 months (46.3%). Even excluding the categories that were MR Classic and Classic the totals are 27 in 71 (38.0%).

38% of the time the bookclub has chosen a classic book when it didn't have to. The bookclub will continue to seek out classics due to cost and availability. I don't see that changing if we don't have a classics category. The bookclub members aren't going to suddenly forget that classic books exist if we don't have that category.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm not interested in a short story anthology of different authors, if that's what the nominated category implies, but would back a short story collection of a single author if it's proposed.
But only if none of the stories in the book are not part of a series.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'll second both Food and Award Winners (Fiction).
Do we really need a category for cook books?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #95
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sequential art is either pictures or comics. It's not something to just read. I don't see how it fits with the book club.
If a sequential art book like Louis Riel by Chester Brown is good enough for Yan Martel to recommend that Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, should read then I would support inclusion as a potential category and I might vote for it because it could open up some new material I hadn't looked at before.
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #96
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do we really need a category for cook books?
The original poster specifically said, not cookbooks, but rather books where food and cooking are main subjects.

There have been a lot. I'm not sure I'd vote for this category, but it is not cookbooks.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #97
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
I would agree that they are similar enough that we don't need both. The question comes as to which name do we want.

This is the definition I found for contemporary fiction...
Excellent. I am more interested in the intention of the category and the books that are nominated and am not willing to bicker over a name, so it doesn't matter to me. Perhaps WT Sharpe can decide?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I won't be supporting classics in the vote. Since inception in 2008, the bookclub has read 38 classic books in 82 months (46.3%). Even excluding the categories that were MR Classic and Classic the totals are 27 in 71 (38.0%).

38% of the time the bookclub has chosen a classic book when it didn't have to. The bookclub will continue to seek out classics due to cost and availability. I don't see that changing if we don't have a classics category. The bookclub members aren't going to suddenly forget that classic books exist if we don't have that category.
Very well said!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If a sequential art book like Louis Riel by Chester Brown is good enough for Yan Martel to recommend that Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, should read then I would support inclusion as a potential category and I might vote for it because it could open up some new material I hadn't looked at before.
One major problem is that a lot of graphic novels or comic books and those types of books don't work well because they won't display properly on all Readers. The new high resolution Readers such as the H2O & PW3 have screens that are of too high a resolution for most books of those types given that they are not made with images of a high enough resolution. If they are made with high enough resolution images, is going to be a very large eBook.

In plain English, too many eBooks of that type are made with images with too low a resolution.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #100
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^I can agree with that concern. I read almost all of the bookclub books from my library in paper, but I do realize that some only read eBooks now.

I would defer to Nyssa since they read a lot of this stuff and how it has translated for them with technology.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #101
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
The original poster specifically said, not cookbooks, but rather books where food and cooking are main subjects.

There have been a lot. I'm not sure I'd vote for this category, but it is not cookbooks.
For two examples: The Omnivore's Dilemma and As Always, Julia. Both of which I've read, and both of which I would highly recommend. And neither is a cookbook, but very much about food and cooking. There are lots of other examples, of course. I'm not sure I'd vote for this as a category, but it's definitely a group of books that I read and enjoy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #102
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Sequential art is either pictures or comics. It's not something to just read. I don't see how it fits with the book club.
It helps if you read ALL of the posts before commenting Jon.
I gave a very specific explanation of sequential art - comics, graphic novels and manga..all of which are reading material. Putting the former under that category seemed more economical than calling it Comics/Graphic Novels/Manga!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #103
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
^I can agree with that concern. I read almost all of the bookclub books from my library in paper, but I do realize that some only read eBooks now.

I would defer to Nyssa since they read a lot of this stuff and how it has translated for them with technology.
I own a Paperwhite and my daughter owns a Nook, we have both read Manga on our devices with no problem. I can't speak for anyone else experiences, of course.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It helps if you read ALL of the posts before commenting Jon.
I gave a very specific explanation of sequential art - comics, graphic novels and manga..all of which are reading material. Putting the former under that category seemed more economical than calling it Comics/Graphic Novels/Manga!
Regardless of what it's called, the big issue is the poor quality of the graphics in most of these sorts of eBooks.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #105
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yes, I suppose. A single short story seems like too short a read. Actually some clarification on Short Story Anthologies would be good as well even though it is already fully nominated. Multiple author only or just a collection of short stories that may be by a single author? One way or the other I'd like to see a collection of short stories by a single author as a potential category even if I have to be the first to nominate it.

Actually in an effort to avoid dispersing the vote I'd like it if Short Story Collection by a single author or multiple author could be a category replacing of Short Story Anthologies
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm not interested in a short story anthology of different authors, if that's what the nominated category implies, but would back a short story collection of a single author if it's proposed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I could see a place for either, though I admit I'm much more likely to vote for one that is by a single author. I'd suggest that we let the category itself be as broad as possible, and let the individual month's voting deal with the particulars. (Though I'm not at all sure that this category will even make it in to the final list.)
My idea of short story Anthologies was with different authors and short stories as multiple stories with same author. I won't mind if the tittle was changed to show that.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote