Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Anyone upgrade from Oasis 1 to Oasis 2?

If you upgraded from a Oasis 1 to the new Oasis 2 I was wondering what caused you to do so and how you like it?

I have a Oasis 1 and have a certain amount of envy for the new one although not exactly sure why

I did manged to see and hold one at a Amazon kiosk at the mall and was a little surprised by how much bigger the whole thing felt. Even though I expected it to be bigger because of the screen it did come off bigger than what I had in my mind's eye. Still considering it of course. Fortunately or unfortunately they did not have it in stock to buy or I may have bought one on the spot.

Anyway, anyone upgrade from the 1 to the 2?
thanks
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
i'll comment although i went the opposite way. i upgraded from a PW3 to an Oasis 2, and then now, after much a saga, found an acceptable Oasis 1 (see other thread on screen quality control (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292705).

Things to like about Oasis 2:
- the larger screen (this to me is a game changer. 1" doesn't seem like much, but it really allows you to see a significantly larger amount of text. i miss this in going to an Oasis 1)
- in spite of apparent variation from unit to unit, it seems they have largely gotten the whole light cone/shadow issue under control.
- if you were lucky like i was with my Oasis 2, you may find the best Kindle screen out there in terms of light and color uniformity (mine had a slight faint shift to yellow on the thin side but only visible if i looked really hard and was at the light levels 9-12)
- inversion mode with white text and black background
- waterproof (if that's important to you)
- more memory (2x or 8x if that's important to you)

BUT, ultimately, i returned it because i read, for the most part, lying in bed on my back, and i found it uncomfortable to hold.

so, i went with the Oasis 1, buying a refurbished unit and having to go through five units to get an acceptable one that still is mediocre in screen quality compared to the Oasis 2 that i had for a week.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
If you upgraded from a Oasis 1 to the new Oasis 2 I was wondering what caused you to do so and how you like it?

I have a Oasis 1 and have a certain amount of envy for the new one although not exactly sure why

I did manged to see and hold one at a Amazon kiosk at the mall and was a little surprised by how much bigger the whole thing felt. Even though I expected it to be bigger because of the screen it did come off bigger than what I had in my mind's eye. Still considering it of course. Fortunately or unfortunately they did not have it in stock to buy or I may have bought one on the spot.

thanks
I did not upgrade exactly, I just use the Oasis 2 in addition to my Voyage and the Oasis 1 (switching between the three). The 2 major reasons for getting the Oasis 2 were its larger screen and more storage space. I like it, but I still like my Voyage and my old Oasis too. The Voyage has the best contrast of the three, the Oasis 1 is the most comfortable to hold. So every Kindle has its advantages and I would not want to give up any of them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Me. Not that I've given up the Oasis 1. I traded my Voyage, which I never fell in love with (fake buttons), to Amazon, but kept my O1. It will be my take-places Kindle, as I'm always afraid of losing the one that goes places and never take the newest.

My reason for getting the O2 was the larger screen. I hoped the auto lighting adjustment would work, which it never did on the O1, but nope. It does work, but every time I put my hand on the top of the device as I'm reading, the light starts to fade when I don't want it to, so I turned that off. I like being able to make the Home screen list larger, but no other feature would have lured me to spend the money. IMO the screen is absolutely, noticeably, wonderfully larger, not just kinda sorta.

The extra weight isn't a consideration for me. I have some arthritis in my hands and don't hold any Kindle any longer. I either prop it along my leg as I read or use one of those pillow holders. I never did read on my back with book or Kindle over my head, so that wouldn't ever have affected my choice.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I upgraded from the original Oasis because of the larger screen size. However the original has a few features I like better: lighter weight, better battery life and more ergonomic due the tackier material on the back of the unit. The aluminum back is simply too slick and difficult to grasp. Given that, the larger screen overcomes all of those advantages. Adding one of the 3rd party vendor covers adds weight but solves the ergonomics problem.
Cheers, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
I upgraded from the original Oasis because of the larger screen size. However the original has a few features I like better: lighter weight, better battery life and more ergonomic due the tackier material on the back of the unit. The aluminum back is simply too slick and difficult to grasp. Given that, the larger screen overcomes all of those advantages. Adding one of the 3rd party vendor covers adds weight but solves the ergonomics problem.
Cheers, Joe
I share the same opinion on the screen, battery case and the feel of the aluminum. Don't know if you have heard of Skinomi or Decalgirl but many people report that these skin covers solve the problem with gripping their device and they are virtually weightless. Would probably be really awesome with a detachable case too *drool*...
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Finite makes a Leather Folio case that the Oasis can be easily removed and replaced. The leather is actually very nice for a relatively inexpensive case. My only complaint is that the case is thick.
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle...io%2Bcase&th=1

Cheers, joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Not sure if upgrade is the right word. I still have my O1. I was going to send it in for trade in, but haven't gotten around to it yet and might not at all. So far I still have all the kindles I bought but one. I gave the PW1 to my husband as I hated it. But everything else, is still mine and registered and functional. The K1 is getting a bit flakey now, but it is 10 years old after all.

I still grab the Voyage and the Oasis at times, depending on where I am at in my living space. I do read pretty much on my O2 now only. The others feel so tiny now.

For me main reason I got the O2 was to continue to have a kindle with actual buttons. My O1, its device battery is getting a bit worn. Used to last 7 hours out of the cover, now its more like 4 or so. So I just wanted to make sure I have another button device. I get really nervous each time they have new kindles as I am afraid to not have an option anymore.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Sort of. I did not have a KOA at the time I received the KO2 as a Christmas present. I had traded it in for a gift card earlier in the year. I really do like the KOA, I might get another one sometime, but I have to say that I do prefer the KO2. I do think a large part of the reason for my preferring it is the size of the screen. I have been wanting a larger screen on a Kindle for years, but wanted something more portable than a Kindle DX.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post

thanks

Ha!

I did the same thing. Held one at best buy and fell in love.

I upgraded from Oasis 1 to 2. I must say reading is better on a 7" for it feels more like a book, like your reading a page in a paperback. The audio book feature is kick ass awesome! The screen seems to be brighter on the 6" in my opinion.

There is only 1 thing I hate and that the battery life is aweful. I read 30 to 60 minutes a day and it drops by 6% to 10% a day even with bluetooth and internet shut off. 10 level of brightness is just to dark so I read a 13 but still I would think I can get 3 weeks charge. I have to charge at least once a week
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Finite makes a Leather Folio case that the Oasis can be easily removed and replaced. The leather is actually very nice for a relatively inexpensive case. My only complaint is that the case is thick.
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle...io%2Bcase&th=1

Cheers, joe

Check out my cover here. It covers the entire Oasis but no flap near the screen like on yours. Oasis snaps in like a regular tablet case. i love it

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293848
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote