Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I've done a quick test, but, it hasn't been successful.

I'm using ADE 2.0.1. Firstly, I had to authorise my Aura H2O which seemed to be successful. Then I sent some books from ADE. None of them opened on the device and all showed the DRM error.

One thing I was wrong about, is that ADE put the books into the root directory of the device. It also created an XML file in the "Digital Editions\Manifest" directory for the book.

I don't know why this didn't work. I know it has worked, but it has been a while since I have tried. It might be a matter of the ADE version I am using, but I don't know. I have used 1.7.2 (or whatever it was) successfully, but I don't remember if I have used 2.0 successfully. It's also been a few firmware versions since I tried.

I usually just use ADE to download books, then strip the DRM and add to calibre, so don't really use it. Maybe someone who does use ADE for transferring their DRM protected books can chime in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
BrianR
BrianR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
I can now read a book transfered from my PC, having run the "compatibility" check in Windows 10, which recommended using Windows 8. I am not sure why it previously worked without this switch. So I wouldn't have thought that it can be anything to do with different versions of ADE/RMSDK, although that could be the reason why transfering it from the Android tablet doesn't work, perhaps?
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #18
BrianR

I forgot to say that, when transferring the book from my PC using ADE, it has added an XML record in the Manifest sub-folder of the ADE folder on the Kobo. So when transferring a book from the Android tablet I will need to do the same. I must find out where this file comes from.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
ADE is creating it. Looking at this again, I wouldn't worry about it. The file is created when the book is opened on the device.

But, I don't think that is the issue. Personally, I don't think this is ever going to work. In all likelihood, the encryption keys used are different on each device. There is probably something specific to the device that is being used. On the Kobo device, the directory ".adobe-digital-editions" contains a couple of files that include a fingerprint. They are different for my Glo HD and my Aura H2O which are both authorised to the same Adobe account. I'm sure the equivalent on you tablet will be different to your Kobo device.

Something you can do to sort of test this is do a binary compare of the book from the tablet and the same book put onto the Kobo by ADE. Unless they are identical, I doubt copying the files will work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
BrianR

Thanks for your time and expertise. I will get one of the computer experts in my family to test this for me, and I will come back with the results.
Advert
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #21
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I've managed to do it...

It seems that a lot is happening regarding using or trnasferring to and through different devices.

I have waited for a way to boorow book when travelling and send them to my authorized kobo. I tried the portable ADE which worked fine, but I had to use a guest computer. The best would be to be able to use my phone. And I find a way now.

I borrow drm books from my local library and transfer them trhough calibre to my kobo glo hd. I have a special folder for the books.

Today I installed the ADE on my Android phone (samsung S5 with 6.1 Marsmallow version) and at first I had some problems. I borrowed a book from my library through web browser on the phone. The ascm file is downloaded to the download folder. Opening the ascm file from that folder didn't download the actual book, but when I moved the ascm file to the Digital Edition folder and opened it, then voila, the app downloaded and opened the book.

I then connected my Kobo to the phone through the OTG cable and a usb cable. The phone then works as a computer to which I can connect usb devices like the ereader. I then copy/move the authorized book to the root folder on the kobo. Which seems to work fine. I can open the book.

Last edited by marp68; 04-25-2017 at 04:25 PM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, android