Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
newbie question

I just got my EZ Reader this afternoon and have 2 newbie questions and I'm wondering if someone could point me to the right direction.

1) where to download additional fonts?
There is only one preinstalled font IBOOKN.ttf, and the font isn't much to my liking. Are there font packages out there that are readily available for download?

2) how to read library books (DRM-ed mobi formats, actually *.prc file)
I searched and found direction to settime.exe.fb2 but it does not seem to be working for my device (EZ Reader). I must have done something wrong, as I cannot seem to reset the date - while I was able to use the number keys to navigate but not sure which key should I press to confirm "OK" on the screen. More over, when I try to open the library book I downloaded, it gave out a message saying "Can't support to read DRM books" instead of some time expired message. The firmware version on my device is (V2.02ASTAK.090421). Could it be that the DRM-mobi support had been taken away in this version of the firmware?

Many thanks!
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For font info, see Format conversion and fonts. Some fonts don't work, and it isn't always clear why. Your desktop PC probably has plenty of .ttf fonts on it already. Not all can legally be transfered to another device though. The thread Which font do you use? has some recent suggestions.

It does sound like DRMed MOBI has been removed. One way to tell is OK -> 6 Settings -> 4 About. If you have MOBI DRM support there should be a 10 character "MobiPocket PID" at the bottom of the page. You need this PID to authorize DRMed MOBI ebooks (including lending library ebooks). The same PID should show up if you connect to a Windows PC via USB and open Windows MobiPocket Reader.

You can download other firmware versions. For a list, of sites see EZReader Firmware.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
settime.exe.fb2 is the execuable linux-arm file, for use pass through the FB2/Coolreader Library. It for changing date/time on Hanlin-Clone devices for borrowing file. Only Lbook FW has internal date/time changing on bookshelf now.

As wallcraft metioned, You cannot download any DRMed-MOBI for your device, but only your purchased DRMed-MOBI can run on yours.

The message expiring appears may be the readson of borrowed DRMed-MOBI that has been set the borrow period. and the program may check time before Mobipocket ID.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
deltame

My device does have a mobipocket PID as evidenced when I examined "setting"->"About" to locate such PID. I entered this PID to the lending library's system prior to check out and download the prc ebook. My library actually permits a maximum of 3 PIDs, and I currently have entered one for kindle 2 and another for this new EZ Reader. I don't know whether the library system is actually able to permit all 3 PIDs for one item or limits 1 of the PID for each loan item. Is it possible that the ebook I downloaded yesterday was mistakenly gotten associated with my kindle 2 PID only but not the intended EZ Reader PID?

By the way, while I have experience using library DRM-ed mobi book for my kindle, I have never needed to use MobiPocket Reader software in that process. Is this now required for transfer files onto EZ Reader if I want use DRM-ed mobi on this device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does sound like DRMed MOBI has been removed. One way to tell is OK -> 6 Settings -> 4 About. If you have MOBI DRM support there should be a 10 character "MobiPocket PID" at the bottom of the page. You need this PID to authorize DRMed MOBI ebooks (including lending library ebooks). The same PID should show up if you connect to a Windows PC via USB and open Windows MobiPocket Reader.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
deltame

Its getting really wired - settime.exe.fb2 allows me to reset time but not date. For example, I change time to 16.01.01 and date to 07.11.2009, move to 'ok' and click ok button. I then open settime.exe.fb2 again to see time is set up correctly but date remains at 01.03.2008.

Keng,
I actually wouldn't want reset date/time if the internal clock has the correct date/time since I typically am able to finish reading ebooks from my library within allotted 3-week loan period. And if I couldn't get thru within that time, I can always borrow again later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
settime.exe.fb2 is the execuable linux-arm file, for use pass through the FB2/Coolreader Library. It for changing date/time on Hanlin-Clone devices for borrowing file. Only Lbook FW has internal date/time changing on bookshelf now.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltame View Post
Is it possible that the ebook I downloaded yesterday was mistakenly gotten associated with my kindle 2 PID only but not the intended EZ Reader PID?

By the way, while I have experience using library DRM-ed mobi book for my kindle, I have never needed to use MobiPocket Reader software in that process. Is this now required for transfer files onto EZ Reader if I want use DRM-ed mobi on this device?
Most likely the ebook has both PIDs, a single MOBI ebook can have 4 PIDs. As you say, it isn't necessary to use Windows MobiPocket Reader (if you do use it, don't forget to update to Beta: Build 614).

So, I think your problem is with the date. I also had problems with settime.exe.fb2, but it turns out that the Lbook "Update of 27 February 2009" Firmware includes a saner date setting option under its setting menu. Jinke's FAQ includes instructions for updating the firmware. Make sure the battery is fully charged or you are connected to the charger (or both).

Once you install it, the 1st thing to do is change the language (OK (settings) -> 2) to English. The "Date & Time" is setting menu item 5. Also, check that the MOBI PID has not changed (there was one firmware update where this happened). Having made the switch, I prefer the larger bold font in the Lbook's directory view.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Its getting really wired - settime.exe.fb2 allows me to reset time but not date. For example, I change time to 16.01.01 and date to 07.11.2009, move to 'ok' and click ok button. I then open settime.exe.fb2 again to see time is set up correctly but date remains at 01.03.2008.

Keng,
I actually wouldn't want reset date/time if the internal clock has the correct date/time since I typically am able to finish reading ebooks from my library within allotted 3-week loan period. And if I couldn't get thru within that time, I can always borrow again later.
I believe the date shown in settime is always the default one and not the one you set. I do not believe there is a way to see the current date on the machine although this would be a line enhancement to settime.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Some information from bebook forum
http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic....4&t=88&start=0

"You will see the menu for making the changes. DO NOT PRESS "Cancel" BUTTON in any case on your bebook at that time. If you do so, you will not harm the device, but you would have to reset it by pressing the reset button on the back of bebook.

The navigation is simple:
keys 1 and 2 select the thing that you want to change (hour, min, year, OK, etc)
keys keys 4,5 and 9, 0 do the increment or decrement for the selected field.
Cancel -- exit without saving.
Ok -- save and exit.

The time and date are saved/stay in beebook only until you switch it off. There is no battery inside so that information (the configured time) cannot be kept or preserved. Just switch your bebook with the short press of the power button which switches to the device to the standby mode and does not consume the battery."
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
deltame

Just a quick note to thank everyone (and wallcraft in particular) for your help. Since a new firmware (with Adobe Digital Edition for DRM) is forthcoming in a few weeks, I would like to hold off and try the new firmware from EZ Reader before venture out to other firmware versions (my library offers ebooks in both mobi and pdf formats).

Last edited by deltame; 07-20-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I would also contact Astak customer service. This may be an issue which slipped by their team. With knowledge, they can implement this on the updated firmware.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
deltame

Didn't they say the next version of firmware would not support DRMed mobi but support Adobe Digital Edition instead? So my assumption is that they are not going to fix any mobi DRM issue.

My initial question/confusion was that I had thought the April 2009 version (pre-installed on my EZ Reader device) could still support DRMed mobi but apparently it was already stripped out/down, i.e., not functional for library mobi books despite having a PID number.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Didn't they say the next version of firmware would not support DRMed mobi but support Adobe Digital Edition instead? So my assumption is that they are not going to fix any mobi DRM issue.

My initial question/confusion was that I had thought the April 2009 version (pre-installed on my EZ Reader device) could still support DRMed mobi but apparently it was already stripped out/down, i.e., not functional for library mobi books despite having a PID number.
For library books you need a clock and calendar on the device as well as a PID number. The Hanlin does not natively have this support which is why library books don't work. They have time limited licenses so you need a unit that keeps the time. There is a work around that can add this feature so long as you keep the unit on or in standby. This will allow the check out of library books. However, you will have to reset the time and date if you power completely down or do a reset of the device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
This is certainly true for the EZ Reader. You can use firmware from other Hanlin V3's, but they all seem to be migrating from MOBI to ADE. The best existing firmware is probably Lbook (it includes a calendar setting option for lending library ebooks for example).
Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
deltame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For library books you need a clock and calendar on the device as well as a PID number. The Hanlin does not natively have this support which is why library books don't work. They have time limited licenses so you need a unit that keeps the time. There is a work around that can add this feature so long as you keep the unit on or in standby. This will allow the check out of library books. However, you will have to reset the time and date if you power completely down or do a reset of the device.
Dale
I know. The settime utility didn't work out for me (see my original post). I doubt it would work on devices with April 2009 firmware from EZ Reader since the error message simply said "Can't support to read DRM books", not a message refers to time expired or date error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
This is certainly true for the EZ Reader. You can use firmware from other Hanlin V3's, but they all seem to be migrating from MOBI to ADE. The best existing firmware is probably Lbook (it includes a calendar setting option for lending library ebooks for example).
Right, I was only responding to griffonwing for his suggestion to contact Astak to report mobi DRM issue. I am holding off updating firmware on my device to trying for ADE first. Thanks as always!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
deltame

I just updated firmware from Astak (July 30th, 2009 version w/Adobe Digital Edition support) and I'm pleased to report that it works with pdf books from my lending library.