Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How to remove library books from the cloud?

How do you remove expired library eBooks from showing up on a Kindle connecting to Amazon via the cloud? I have a Kindle Touch with one book cover showing that was a library eBook borrow that's since expired and I cannot see it at all on Amazon but I see the cover and I want to get rid of the cover from the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Hmm. You say you don't see it on amazon. In your content and devices? There when I sort by books-borrowed, I see everything I have borrowed from the library, all the way back to 2011. I keep a record of them so mine are all still there. But I can click on the left of the expired book and then click delete and it would be completely gone and not show on amazon or my cloud on the kindle anymore.

But I don't know about a kindle touch, its that the old one from way back? Or a new one with current software.

If you don't all that and it still shows, I have no clue then.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Remove its *.sdr (sidecar) directory.
That should get rid of the left-overs.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Remove its *.sdr (sidecar) directory.
That should get rid of the left-overs.
There is no .sdr directory. This is a clean Kindle. Only one sample has been downloaded to it.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Manage Your Content and Devices (www.amazon.com/myk) lets you remove expired borrows from cloud. If you are patient you can use experimental browser on Kindle. I don't recommend doing that.

Note that doing so eliminates any notes/highlights you may have made. Before returning the book, you can export these if they have any value.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no .sdr directory. This is a clean Kindle. Only one sample has been downloaded to it.
You caught me, I for awhile thought that was a real question.

You can't be the real JSWolf, you have to be an impostor of JSWolf.
An impostor who did not do enough research of the identity they where trying to use.

The real JSWolf would not have a Kindle Touch, and even if he did, would not admit it in public.
It is even likely he would not even associate with a Kindle owner, so the post being about someone else's Kindle is also out of the question.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It is a real question. It's a real Kindle Touch. It's a real shame too that the firmware on Kindles is so different depending on the model. There's no reason for Amazon to have done this.

Kobo's first Touch model can run the current firmware and it went on sale on June 10, 2011.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
It is a real question. It's a real Kindle Touch. It's a real shame too that the firmware on Kindles is so different depending on the model. There's no reason for Amazon to have done this.

Kobo's first Touch model can run the current firmware and it went on sale on June 10, 2011.
You bought a brand new Kindle from Amazon?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

If can't be the real JSWolf, he could never live down having a Kindle of his own.

For the KT, 5.3.7.3 is as new as it will ever get.
Please note that the SSL/TLS update of last year has been silently rolled into the posted 5.3.7.3 without notice nor change in the firmware version.
So if you have problems with making network connections, try re-installing the current Amazon posting, even though it has the same version number.

And you KT has the last built-in audio handling and no-extra charge TTS.

So if you can live without a lighted screen, it is a great model to have (I have at least 5 of them, haven't counted recently - they multiply in the dark closet).

- - - -

You are correct about the firm-wares up to about a year or two ago.
Amazon has been trying to consolidate their model specific builds into a singe (well, so far two) firmware builds for all touch screen devices.

So far, their attempt at merging everything into a single build has had some (internal) problems.
Their Lab126 staff just can't seem to get it right (every time).

Last edited by knc1; 07-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is there any reason that the Kindle Touch and all other Kindles released since then cannot have the same list of fonts and the same version KF8 & KFX support?

I never said this is or is not my Kindle. But it is a real Kindle I am talking about.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Is there any reason that the Kindle Touch and all other Kindles released since then cannot have the same list of fonts and the same version KF8 & KFX support?

I never said this is or is not my Kindle. But it is a real Kindle I am talking about.
Progress. a.k.a: feature creep.

On a technical note, making all touchscreen devices run the same version firmware is difficult to manage in the software build department.

But the firmware currently built for the KT3 **MIGHT** run on the KT.
**MIGHT**
Have your serial port connection handy in case it does not.
But they do both have the same IR scanner touchscreen hardware.

- - - -

The real JSWolf does not even associate with people who own Kindles.
And I don't think the real JSWolf would even pick one up from the gutter if he walked past it.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Progress. a.k.a: feature creep.

On a technical note, making all touchscreen devices run the same version firmware is difficult to manage in the software build department.

But the firmware currently built for the KT3 **MIGHT** run on the KT.
**MIGHT**
Have your serial port connection handy in case it does not.
But they do both have the same IR scanner touchscreen hardware.

- - - -

The real JSWolf does not even associate with people who own Kindles.
And I don't think the real JSWolf would even pick one up from the gutter if he walked past it.
Me thinks he may have found a lady friend that owns a kindle.
So now he is coming to us for help.

Seriously Jon,
Short of a factory reset, I have no idea on your question.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Probably a silly question, but are you sure the device is connected to WiFi? I've never had any 'remains' of any Overdrive books after the expired borrow date, unless the WiFi is turned off. Have you forced a sync? Restarted the device?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
How do you remove expired library eBooks from showing up on a Kindle connecting to Amazon via the cloud? I have a Kindle Touch with one book cover showing that was a library eBook borrow that's since expired and I cannot see it at all on Amazon but I see the cover and I want to get rid of the cover from the Kindle.
Quote:
I suggest trying to fix the problem at the Amazon web site. Since you know the borrowed library book was never on this Kindle, why try to sort the problem out there?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Me thinks he may have found a lady friend that owns a kindle.
So now he is coming to us for help.

Seriously Jon,
Short of a factory reset, I have no idea on your question.
There you go, ruining my fun with a likely reason that he hasn't lost his mind (on the subject of e-readers).

- - - -

In this case, that of a KT - the "Reset (to factory defaults)" will only erase the visible and hidden user storage areas.
It is running a firmware version that can always be jail broken (again) if that is desired.

And the "Reset" would ensure there isn't anything strange left behind in the hidden database files.

For the casual reader who just stumbled into this post - -
The above advice is specific to the original Kindle Touch (a.k.a: K5, KT) without anything of interest worth keeping stored on it.

= = = =

HT's point is also a reasonable one.
Dig around on the 'Manage Device and Content' web page of the account this device is registered with.

Oops - I forgot to ask, this device is registered, isn't it?
That also could be part of the problem if it is not registered (no external account that it can reach).

Last edited by knc1; 07-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.