Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Two unrelated questions: Gifting & K2 features

My sister and I are going to combine forces and buy our mom a kindle for Christmas. Does anyone have any suggestions with the best way to gift a kindle? Does it matter if I buy it with my amazon account? Can it be switched to her account easily enough (for a [basically] computer illiterate person)?

On a completely different note: Can anyone shed light on why K3 features are not available in the K2? I haven't heard anyone talk about (for example) why there is still only one font for K2. Planned obsolecense (wrong spelling, but you get the idea ) is my biggest pet peeve with tech and this seems to be that rather than incompatible hardware.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You can buy a kindle on any account and it is easy for the recipient to deregister the device (menu / settings / deregister) and then register the device to their own amazon account.

I don't think the K2 is obselete and I suspect that Amazon will roll out some firmware updates for it in due course - they're still in the midst of shipping out K3 orders.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K1 stopped receiving firmware upgrades pretty much as soon as the K2 was released. Some of that has to do with the amount of available space for the new features. The K1 simply did not have enough memory to hold books and the K2 features. Given that the amount of memory on the K3 is twice that of the K2, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the K2 will not get some of the features on the K3.

If you have a Kindle and you are getting your Mom a Kindle, I would suggest sharing an account. That way you are there to help her when she has problems and she has the oppertunity to read books that you have already purchased.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I bought my dad a Kindle for xmas last year and it worked out great. One thing to think about is getting a book for it as well, so that your mom has something to read on it. You can buy a book and send it to the Kindle, or if you have a Kindle already, you can send any books that you have purchased in the past to the new Kindle, but only up to the point that it's registered to someone else's account. In other words, you can give or "lend" a book to the new Kindle, but make sure you download it to the new Kindle before your mom registers the device to her own account. Once a book is on the Kindle it stays there until it's deleted so even if your mom registers the Kindle before she reads the book it will still be there for her to read.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote