Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
core dump

Hi

I installed the latest Sigil as an Arch package on my brand new computer to get this short statement:

[CODE][roger@lenovo ~]$ sigil
Debug: using qt5ct plugin
Warning: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Debug: D-Bus system tray: no
Debug: D-Bus global menu: no
*** Error in `/usr/lib/sigil/sigil': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f482ef303c0 ***
Abandon (core dumped)
[roger@lenovo ~]$[CODE]

Previously I had added some files (mostly plugins) from my former Sigil in /home/roger/.local.

It's also fairly possible some software could not be installed yet...

Last edited by roger64; 11-09-2017 at 05:52 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've not tried the community Arch Sigil package in a while. Did you try launching Sigil before copying your prefs from your old installation?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I did not. I shall take them out to check.

No change: core dump all the same

I shall see what happens with the new version just announced

Last edited by roger64; 11-09-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
My home-built Sigil version runs fine on my Arch Linux machine.

I also got:

Code:
but I didn't get:

Code:
@DiapDealer: Doesn't the Debug: prefix mean that the Arch Linux Sigil packager (incorrectly) used the command line parameter for debug builds?

@roger64: Maybe your system isn't up-to-date. Enter the following command in a terminal window and then reboot your machine:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
If you still can't run Sigil try renaming:

Code:
/home/roger/.local./share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil.ini
to

Code:
/home/roger/.local./share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil.bak
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I think Roger installed the community version (pacman -S sigil).

Quote:
I also got:

Code:
but I didn't get:

Code:
@DiapDealer: Doesn't the Debug: prefix mean that the Arch Linux Sigil packager (incorrectly) used the command line parameter for debug builds?
I honestly don't know. I get those debug messages on my custom built Sigil, as well (and some other Qt apps). They're coming from the system-supplied Qt5 and its plugin.

As far as the original error message goes, I have experienced those kinds of segfaults when config files could not be read (be it from permissions problems or non-existence).
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:

I also got:

Code:
but I didn't get:

Code:

@roger64: Maybe your system isn't up-to-date. Enter the following command in a terminal window and then reboot your machine:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
If you still can't run Sigil try renaming:

Code:
/home/roger/.local./share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil.ini
to

Code:
/home/roger/.local./share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil.bak
No change

(except the warning for the new version)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
No change

(except the warning for the new version)
What is the new warning?

AFAIK, there are two Arch Linux Sigil packages, sigil and sigil-git.

What you could try is uninstall whatever package you've installed and then install the other one.
I.e., if you installed sigil, uninstall it and then install sigil-git.

IIRC, you'll need to use yaourt to install sigil-git:

Code:
yaourt -S sigil-git
(If yaourt isn't installed, you'll need to install it first.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-09-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Also simply launching sigil via gdb and running doing a backtrace after the crash/abort would certainly help us to see what might be going on. It should be an easy add to the script that launches sigil after setting the right environment variables.

If not, we could/should add a command line switch to the sigil launch script to enable running it through gdb just to make bug reports from Linux users easier to get given the huge number of different Linux variants.

What do you think?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I think we'd have to manually set the environment variables in a shell and launch /usr/lib/sigil/sigil via gdb manually. It may have changed, but at one time, gdb only worked with binary executables. So running the launch script (/usr/bin/sigil) with gdb didn't work.

I'll install a clean instance of Sigil with pacman on Arch later today and see if there's any problems. I've experienced some issues with that community-supplied package before in the past.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I was thinking maybe we should be adding a command line option to the /usr/bin/sigil shell script to force it to launch sigil within gdb instead of just sigil. I do this on my own linux scripts on my research box to set the appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and set any other environment variables as normal in the script and then do:

gdb PATH_TO_REAL_EXECUTABLE/sigil

instead of just launching the real sigil executable itself.

My 2 cents ...
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, that would probably work. We could even provide a separate debug launch-script. We'd just have to make sure to configure it with cmake, so the paths were sure to match the build/install.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry. I'm not much help. The Arch community package for Sigil 0.9.8 works fine for me--both as a clean install and when copying a previous config to the new installation (although it reports itself as v0.9.7 because of a tagging issue we had at release time).

If you'd like to do a little debugging, run the attached script (make it executable if necessary) from a terminal to launch sigil via gdb. Once you see the (gdb) prompt type 'run' (without the quotes, of course) followed by enter.

I've had to zip the script because Mobileread doesn't like any of the file extensions I've tried. You'll need to unzip it. You can run it from your home directory.

NOTE: the script will only work for the version of Sigil installed by pacman into the standard /usr prefix.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil-debug.zip (498 Bytes, 131 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

By the way ... for those following along, the debug messages are from having the qt5ct package installed. The qt5ct package provides a DE independent Qt5 QPA and a configuration utility. which allows you to set custom colors, icon sets, fonts and themes for your Qt5 applications.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
roger64
Wizard

Here it is

I had to install gdb

Code:
[roger@lenovo Bureau]$ ./sigil-debug 
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.0.1
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/sigil/sigil...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/lib/sigil/sigil 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffe5915700 (LWP 10296)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe1722700 (LWP 10297)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd6baa700 (LWP 10298)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd49ff700 (LWP 10299)]
*** Error in `/usr/lib/sigil/sigil': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007fff8f7313c0 ***

Thread 1 "sigil" received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0x00007ffff1ad68a0 in raise () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

When you get to that point (after the crash) type 'bt' followed by enter. That should give us a bit of a backtrace.