Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I'm thrilled to say (after looking at the Selco library demoed in AnemicOak's link) that none of my libraries have "updated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
New management?
Rakuten has been looking for a way to be a bigger player in ebooks. Maybe they think making library ebook lending less desirable will lead to more sales?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Jon's right. That is an ugly and unusable design.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did the survey and gave it the lowest marks and in the comments, I told them how awful the new site is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a look and than go to http://help.overdrive.com/customer/e...p%40selco.info to take the survey and tell OD how awful the new site is.
Direct link to the survey...
http://feedback.overdrive.com/go?iv=1qhc8ghh462n8
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #20
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm not seeing anything in the new design that bothers me. I don't use most of the features that won't be ready when it is released. I mostly search either for a specific title, or I browse newly added books. I am pleased about this:
When you search by title, do you use advanced search? I've never been able to get a specific title returned in the regular search.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
When you search by title, do you use advanced search? I've never been able to get a specific title returned in the regular search.
Have you tried putting your search in quotation marks? I sometimes get what I want in the regular search, but I mostly used Advanced just out of habit.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #22
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks. I took the survey and told them the shortcomings. Thankfully my library hasn't updated yet.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only one of the libraries I have access to has access to the beta and it is a small library.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #24
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My theory is that the company's owners had a relative who was an unemployed programmer/website developer so they hired him/her to fix something that wasn't broken :
My theory is that they hired the people responsible for this summer's B&N website "upgrade". The advanced search disappeared there too. I'd have to say that B&N's website was already broken, but the "upgrade" took away several features, like being able to read one's books from the website, searching by publisher, and other advanced search features, and failed to fix long standing problems with not being able to log in, not being able to purchase books or add them to the cart.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 10-27-2015 at 10:41 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hoping it does not break Library Extension for Chrome. But if it does, it does. The developer is pretty good about fixing things.

My main library doesn't show an option to try it out. I mostly only use the Overdrive app to visit the library site, and presumably that will continue to work (or at least they can control when to cut over to anything new). I rarely do advanced search. Author/title is enough for the most part.

I search for things on Amazon, Library Extension tells me if it is available at one of my libraries, and I add it to my 'Kindle' wish list with a note that indicates which libraries it is available from. So I don't spend much time on the library site searching for things.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-27-2015 at 11:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Hoping it does not break Library Extension for Chrome. But if it does, it does.
The changes are going to make the site so such different that yes, I do think it will break the Library Extension.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is everyone reading this thread going to the survey and telling Overdrive how terrible the new site is?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #28
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I haven't see it yet so I can't do any survey. None of my 3 libraries look any different at the moment. Once I can actually see and I don't like it, I'll let them know.

I most often use the feature of looking whats is new last 7 or 14 days in specific genres. Some have said that is gone in the new version? That would not be good.

But I really have to see the thing first. If one signs in with the overdrive account, can one have more than one library there too with one signup and still the check out kindle books? Obviously on my overdrive app on my tablets its shows the epubs only, but I have my 3 libraries listed on there.

If not then I'll just do as I did before, sign into each library separate. I have them on my bookmarks bar so I can check fairly fast for what is there.

I just don't really like change period.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have bookmarks for accessing Advanced Searches, which is pretty handy for finding newly-purchased ebooks. (It's also easy to change how many days to look for.)

If I cannot do the same on the new website by the time it is forced on us (because they have no Advanced Search functionality ) then I will be complaining loudly everywhere I can.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #30
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
One of my libraries gave me the option to try the new version, and I don't like it at all. I hate that it will no longer remember my library card number, and I hate that it won't automatically check out holds. And everything seems to take more steps. I took the survey and told them I didn't like it, but I have a feeling they're going to go ahead with it no matter what.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote