Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Smile I've been musing about tablets, the Fire and computers

My wife has an iPad and I have the Fire (and also the Kindle1). Before that, I had the first Sony reader, and before that the old Rocket eBook. Also, I have been using computers since 1981, when a good CRT monitor of 12 inches was all there was. And, of course, in monochrome.

Now, I muse that if tablets and smart phones were invented before the nice 21 inch and larger LCD monitors, people would rave at how wonderful that large screen was, instead of having to squint at the tiny little displays on phones and tablets.

Oh, yeah, and if devices that permitted texting came before Mr Bell invented the telephone, and then a device came out that actually let people talk to each other, how amazing that would be, eh?

(From an old fogy of 85 who has seen it all.)
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have been using computers since about 1991 (I'm only 23...). I remember using computers my dad used to bring home with the big floppies, and then some others with the standard. Started with an Apple, got to mess with MS-DOS, and Windows 3.1 onwards, and am now back to Apple now that I can actually buy them with my own money.

And yes, CRT monitors are amazing. The only one I have that works is the one in my iMac G3 though. I had two go pink on me in the past.

640x480...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Oh, yeah, and if devices that permitted texting came before Mr Bell invented the telephone, and then a device came out that actually let people talk to each other, how amazing that would be, eh?
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but there was of course such a device - the telegraph.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My "miracle gadget" was that old TRS-80 from 1979. Mainframe users considered it a toy and now there are no main frames left, only server packs.

The first computer I used was the Rand 6 story, vacuum tube, "super computer" in 1943 to spin out artillery tables with far less memory than my Kindle HD 7 32 Gb eReader due by the end of October.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
my miracle gadget was my Commodor vic-20 computer in 1980 when my father bought one for the house and i learned to use it to make art, then in 1982 he bought a commodor 64 for me for my 9th birthday and my first Computer role playing game was Telengard, wich further opened my eyes to Ultima,Bards tale,Wizardry,Might & magic. from that day forward i barely watch tv/movies my primary form of entertainment is computer games, book reading, and swimming,
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Still have my two ZX-81's

Both built from the kits that were offered...For a grin, I hooked them up about a year ago, and they still worked as good as ever. Got them before Timex got involved. That was my introduction to using "Basic".

Slight bend!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
"My friends are knocking down my door... to get to my Commodore 64!" Those were the days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvhSwwsrik
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
"My friends are knocking down my door... to get to my Commodore 64!" Those were the days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvhSwwsrik
That was my first computer too!
My first PC was a IBM 8086 PC
My first Windows PC was a IBM 486DX.
I still have my floppies and hard drives!
I then got a HP Pavilion Pentium III 866mhz
My next one I built myself it was a 1.6ghz Celeron processor with 2GB of Ram. It still runs when it's not crashing.
I now have a old Gateway DX 4710 2.40ghz Quadcore. 6GB RAM It's time to upgrade again but I have no clue what I am going to buy.

We just junked two perfectly working CRTs 19 inches. It was taking up too much space!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was more the video game junkie.

Atari, Sega Genesis, and the like. Those older dinosaurs gave me hours of fun!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My "miracle gadget" was that old TRS-80 from 1979.
I used to love messing with the TRS-80 Level I. Peek, Poke, cassette tapes for storage, keyboard bounce like crazy.

I did receive a Fire HD quick charger today. Only six more weeks to wait for the 32 GB model and the case. Hopefully Amazon will give us an October surprise.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I was more the video game junkie.

Atari, Sega Genesis, and the like. Those older dinosaurs gave me hours of fun!
My first video game was Coleco hockey / tennis which my parents bought from the Holiday gas station. I'm pretty sure my Mom still has it and I think it works.
I still own an Atari 2600 along with a couple of bed boxes full of games. Got the Genesis too. My favorite game was Lethal Enforcer. Good times.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Sega Genesis is THE BEST. Those Gameboys too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
my miracle gadget was my Commodor vic-20 computer in 1980 when my father bought one for the house and i learned to use it to make art, then in 1982 he bought a commodor 64 for me for my 9th birthday and my first Computer role playing game was Telengard, wich further opened my eyes to Ultima,Bards tale,Wizardry,Might & magic. from that day forward i barely watch tv/movies my primary form of entertainment is computer games, book reading, and swimming,
My husband in 1980 bought the Commodore Vic 20 for our oldest son...10 years old at the time and he learned to do a little programming on it. So for Christmas we handed down the Vic 20 to son #2, 8 years old, and got son #1 the Commodore 64; Granddad got them used desks and chairs to go with the computers. They just had a ball with those things...especially after we got modems for them.
Today those two boys have PhD.'s...youngest of them has one from Harvard (and now teaching at Harvard).
We often wonder how the boys would have turned out if a co-worker of my husband's hadn't told him about this wonderful "Vic 20" he was getting his son for a gift inspiring my husband to do the same.
A vivid memory for me is the huge fights that used to break out over using the phone line when each would try to get online at the same time.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I bought a 486 in 1993. I went all in because, with our first on the way, I didn't expect to buy another computer -- ever. If you count tablets, I have 22 computers in my home plus two more at college. Life is good. Among these are six Atari computers. Atari computers were my miracle machines. Not only did these machines bring the arcade into my home, but they helped me do a lot of tedious tasks better. My 'moment' happened when I was in college. I was proofing a 27 page paper. On page six, the last paragraph was unwieldy. There were no errors, but I had a better way to make my point. I opened the document, edited the paragraph and reprinted all the pages starting with page six. Loading each sheet of paper into my 1027 printer, I was really appreciative of not having to retype 21 pages. No way I would have retyped that paper to better express myself.

I think tablets are now where Ataris were then. They are pretty useless, but we are still very interested and a little amazed. Printing is difficult, communication is limited, and the user interface is imperfect, but we are thrilled to have them.

I say we sit back and savor the moment. I think my Fire will someday sit next to my 1200XL on that special time travel desk in my bedroom.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I bought a 486 in 1993. I went all in because, with our first on the way, I didn't expect to buy another computer -- ever. If you count tablets, I have 22 computers in my home plus two more at college. Life is good. Among these are six Atari computers. Atari computers were my miracle machines. Not only did these machines bring the arcade into my home, but they helped me do a lot of tedious tasks better. My 'moment' happened when I was in college. I was proofing a 27 page paper. On page six, the last paragraph was unwieldy. There were no errors, but I had a better way to make my point. I opened the document, edited the paragraph and reprinted all the pages starting with page six. Loading each sheet of paper into my 1027 printer, I was really appreciative of not having to retype 21 pages. No way I would have retyped that paper to better express myself.

I think tablets are now where Ataris were then. They are pretty useless, but we are still very interested and a little amazed. Printing is difficult, communication is limited, and the user interface is imperfect, but we are thrilled to have them.

I say we sit back and savor the moment. I think my Fire will someday sit next to my 1200XL on that special time travel desk in my bedroom.

The 486 I got didn't have a modem in it. Why, who in the world would need an internal modem?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote