Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
nicke
nicke began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100,Kobo:1,Wifi,Touch,Mini,Aura,Glo
Original Kobo Firmware

I recently came into possession of an original Kobo, pre-Wifi. It has firmware version 1.4 on it. The most recent Kobo Desktop versions will not even attempt to do a firmware update. The version of Kobo Desktop that is installed from directory on the device will attempt the update to version 1.8. It will run through step 1 to 4, then skip the 5th and 6th step that actually loads the firmware, straight to step 7 declaring success when, in fact, it was not successful.

It does, however, download a zip file for the update. This file contains 3 images: uBoot, uImage, and fs. Unfortunately, there is no scripts or executables in the file to actually apply the images.

I am looking for some way to update the firmware to version 1.8.

Is there anyone out there that:
1) has the kobo-sd-restore-1.8.tgz file? I have scoured the internet without success looking for it posted somewhere. It probably contains the scripts and the image files
2) knows the partition structure of the internal memory for the 1.8 firmware?
3) knows the intimate details of how the firmware update mode works?
4) knows the location of a live uart on the Kobo 1 motherboard?
5) or any other information that might be useful

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thank you,
nicke
nicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Are uBoot, uImage and fs compressed in a KoboRoot.tgz which again is inside of a zip file? If yes, you can try to copy the KoboRoot.tgz to a sd card and insert it into the reader. I think you have to press some key at the same time. Somebody who owned such a device can certainly tell you more about this.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
nicke
nicke began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100,Kobo:1,Wifi,Touch,Mini,Aura,Glo
Unfortunate, the uBoot, uImage, as fs images are alone inside the zip. I actually need the script part to tell me how to apply those images (or apply them itself).
nicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
silverwulf89
silverwulf89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original
Any Update?

Hey! I also came across an original Kobo, wondering if there was any progress on figuring out how to update the firmware?
silverwulf89 is offline   Reply With Quote