Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
2020-2021 Theme Suggestions

As some of you have no doubt noticed, we're about to run out of themes for the New Leaf Book Club. So it's time to start picking themes for next year. I'm going to preempt the next two months, however.

December's theme will be The Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Walking in a Winter Wonderland (or, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere: In the Heat of the Summer).

January's theme will be Second Chance: Books nominated but not selected between the December, 2019 nomination thread, and the November, 2020 nomination thread.

ETA: There will be no further themes required. As we've talked about next year, it became clear that there's just not enough time and interest for this to continue, and I'm personally no longer able to run the club. Therefore we'll be wrapping things up shortly.

Last edited by CRussel; 10-05-2020 at 12:13 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Second Chance

Books eligible for nomination in December, for discussing in January, 2021 must have been fully nominated for the discussions of calendar year 2020.

Ground rules:
  • Each person can nominate ONE book from all the books nominated for the 2020 year, and no seconds are required.
  • You don't need to have been the original nominator of the book, or even have voted for it. You simply want to encourage us to reconsider it for the book we discuss in January.
Voting will be the same as every other month. Multiple choice, votes are visible, and only those who regularly participate (or who contact me via PM or in the Welcome thread) are eligible to vote. All who vote are expected to participate in the discussion regardless of which book is ultimately selected.
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

For December's book, I'm going with The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. This is intended as a "holiday" theme, but like all our themes, your interpretation of that can be as flexible as you wish. Subtheme's are Walking in a Winter Wonderland or In the Heat of the Summer, which pretty much tells you just how flexible we get.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Suggested themes so far include:

We Were Here First: Stories by Indigenous and Native Peoples

5-Buck Chuck: EBooks whose price is $4.99 USD or less (the reference is to a particularly vile California wine whose name was "2 Buck Chuck", but I thought $1.99 was a bit too limiting.) The only limitation for this theme is that the price (as posted on Amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks) be $4.99 or less.

Free for All: Books in the Public Domain. (And yes, I think there is likely to be a good deal of overlap with the 5-buck Chuck theme, so one or the other, please. And I'd note that in the last year, nearly 1/2 of our selected books have been PD books, so my sense is that we're already covering this.)
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Free for All is not public domain. It's whatever you want to nominate. If you want to do public domain, then a good title for that would be The Public Option.

As for 5-Buck Chuck, Can we have prices from other stores such as Kobo, eBooks.com or Google? What about stores in CA and UK?

I have a suggestion...No Time Like the Present eBooks no later then the year 2000 and they cannot be written about any time prior to 2000. So for example, no historical fiction. These books can be about the future, just not the past.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2020 at 05:53 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I do like the sound of "We Were Here First". I look forward to seeing what gets nominated if this theme makes the cut
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
If I might make an observation (not a criticism): it seems some of these themes are tending away from our open-ended, "make it what you will", style to more specific selection criteria. I'm thinking specifically of We Were Here First, and 5-Buck Chuck; as JSWolf points out "Free for All" has many possible interpretations and so is more inline with the previously used themes. I don't have a big problem with changing the style of themes, maybe the old has run its course, although I wonder if it might raise queries/arguments about how well a book fits or does not fit, I just thought it appropriate to highlight the change.

And if we're happy with specific selection criteria, then, JSWolf, I do quite like your suggestion of No Time Like the Present.

I'm not a fan of 5-Buck Chuck, only because I see it as being difficult to manage across our global community. (Although, curiously, my most recent nomination would fit, so maybe it's not that hard.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Free for All IS public domain. My idea for a theme is PUBLIC DOMAIN BOOKS. So I'll revise my suggestion to Public Domain Books: Books in the Public Domain. Can I be any clearer than that?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't like 5-Buck Chuck. I do not wish to choose a book by price. I think it's the worst criterion to use to find a worthwhile book to read.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Free for All IS public domain. My idea for a theme is PUBLIC DOMAIN BOOKS. So I'll revise my suggestion to Public Domain Books: Books in the Public Domain. Can I be any clearer than that?
It's not the idea of public domain books. It's the name of the theme. Free for All is always been used for choosing anything you want. That's why I suggested The Public Option as a name for the all public domain theme.

Because if we were to have a theme that was a pick what you want, Free for All would be the name.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't like 5-Buck Chuck. I do not wish to choose a book by price. I think it's the worst criterion to use to find a worthwhile book to read.
And yet, with PD as a theme (Way too restrictive for our open themes), you're doing exactly that.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And yet, with PD as a theme (Way too restrictive for our open themes), you're doing exactly that.
Oh, give me a break. You don't like the theme, fine, but don't pretend it's restrictive to find a book that has been published in all but the last hundred or so years.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Another suggestion is Real Life. This would be non-fiction books.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm outta here.