Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I hope not... It happens way to often I have to edit the epub to remove margins and alike. Would be really bad if that is not possible anymore...
If you edit the Stylesheet ONLY all the rest remain as shipped. That is why list by files contained is a good alternate.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
By changing some files (stylesheet, removing css from the xhtml, correct typos, getting smart quotes, etc) the CRC is no longer correct. As soon as this implemented, I am very sure that ADE will get an update that only verified epub's can be read. No longer manually created epub's.

I understand the problem posed and I would also not like if someone would hamper with my work and then make it available as mine. However, I do not think this is the solution. What is, I don't know. Perhaps if they make 'perfect' xhtml files and only generate the CRC on those files...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
By changing some files (stylesheet, removing css from the xhtml, correct typos, getting smart quotes, etc) the CRC is no longer correct. As soon as this implemented, I am very sure that ADE will get an update that only verified epub's can be read. No longer manually created epub's.
If Adobe were going to do that, they'd have done it already, restricting ADE to using ePubs containing Adobe's DRM.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #19
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
ACS4 with publisher website

Can Publisher sell DRM protected epub with their own site.
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #20
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinder View Post
Can Publisher sell DRM protected epub with their own site.
Yes (see Simon & Schuster). However, expect to pay Adobe a lot of money for the privilege.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And again, it is useless. DRM can be removed quicker than then it is placed upon the epub.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Yes (see Simon & Schuster). However, expect to pay Adobe a lot of money for the privilege.
And I've had issues with S&S. Finding someone at S&S who could deal with the problem was a bitch. And the only solution I got was my money back and not a fixed copy of the eBook. Fortunately, I was able to strip the DRM and fix the problems. But most people won't be able to do that or know the first thing about what to do to try to find someone at S&S to actually deal with the problem. And refunding the money doesn't help in the fact that people would not be able to read that eBook. The problem I had to fix after the DRM was removed is that the CSS was a total nightmare. And it caused the eBook to not properly display with formatting. I had to really fix that up big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The bottom line on DRM:

It doesn't hurt the bad guys.

It doesn't help the good guys.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It doesn't hurt the bad guys.

It doesn't help the good guys.
Rather: it hurts the good guys.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quite true. But then the sentences wouldn't be parallel.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #26
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
embedding Japanese fonts in epub

I tried with japnase.ttf but and chinese.ttf and japanese characters doesnt appear (???)but chinese characters appears correctly in sony reader.

i used CSS exactly like below for japanese.ttf and same with chinese but chinese displayed and japenese not:

@font-face {
font-family: "japanese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/japanese.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "chinese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/chinese.ttf);
}

Can someone pls. attach ipag-mona.ttf font which i can use to display japanese character as given below

@font-face {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ipagp-mona.ttf);
}

body {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
}
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #27
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I think you replied to the wrong thread!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #28
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
You can protect your epub and other formats with Project Packer from Orontes Projects. It is Freeware and has very strong protection. More info: http://www.orontesprojects.com/pphelp
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
You can protect your epub and other formats with Project Packer from Orontes Projects. It is Freeware and has very strong protection. More info: http://www.orontesprojects.com/pphelp
And then you have content that can not be read on a standard ePub or Kindle deviced
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #30
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
Anyone know how to protect an epub file from copying and printing without having to purchase an Adobe content protection server?
It can't prevent people with enough motivation and|or money, but a simple way to do that is to publish in print only, on quality paper, very good typesetting etc.
In other words: DRM is as easily removed as suits are convinced it's a solution to their perceived problem.

EDIT: One more thing. If you value not just the content of your publication but also care about its presentation, try to view a document you created on either ADE or a reader that's based on Adobe's RMSDK (there's no point in viewing a book that's been designed specifically for one reader, create a short booklet the way you want it to look).

Last edited by kso; 06-26-2018 at 08:12 AM.
kso is offline   Reply With Quote