Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Open with... (testing a new feature)

Hi

Thank you for your tireless efforts to improve Koreader. According to the github site a new and amazing feature "open with" has just been added (highlighting is mine). I would be very keen to test it.

Quote:
Those willing to experiment can try the new Open with… option (#3653, #3678). You can choose which rendering engine to use for files that are supported by multiple rendering engines. Most notably you can choose to use either crengine or MuPDF for EPUB and FB2 files. MuPDF support is still experimental, but it may be faster in some cases. T
According to the MuPDF site, i should first set up some preferences to tune the rendering engine for Epub viewing:

MuPDF can open PDF, XPS, CBZ, and EPUB documents.
Command Line Options

Code:
-p password
    The password needed to open a password protected PDF file. 
-r resolution
    Set the initial zoom level, specified as DPI. The default value is 72. 
-W width
    Set the page width in points for EPUB layout. 
-H height
    Set the page height in points for EPUB layout. 
-S size
    Set the default font size in points for EPUB layout. 
-U stylesheet
    Specify a CSS file containing user styles to load for EPUB layout.
I have the latest OTA update (v2015.11-1525-gca6a486) but cannot find it. Am I missing something? (PW3 Kindle)

Last edited by roger64; 02-22-2018 at 03:49 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There's no direct relation between the MuPDF app you can download and KOReader. Basically they're both applications that use the MuPDF library to display PDFs (and other supported file formats).

All you need to do is long-press on a file.

Edit: I just realized that "MuPDF is still experimental" could be misconstrued although I think it should be clear in context. It refers to using MuPDF to open EPUB (and FB2) only. The MuPDF library has always been responsible for the PDF rendering part of kindlepdfviewer.

Last edited by Frenzie; 02-22-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
.../...
All you need to do is long-press on a file.
.../...

Thank you for the long press tip. Somebody has to ask for it...

I have been using MuPDF to read custom PDF with Koreader for quite a long time. It's an excellent reader, much better than the standard one on Kindle.

The ePub reader with MuPDF shares most of the good features of the PDF reader and displays precisely the text and the fonts. Links to endnotes are working very well. Image display is OK.

However there is a stumbling block: it is absolutely necessary to allow the user to select the font-size without "reformating". I could hardly read the text and really needed a magnifying glass. If I "reformat", I find the new display ugly.

Two other things I noticed:
1. - hyphenation is missing
2. - linebreaks are way too big and must be corrected.

So, quite a promising start for an experimental feature. Thanks for giving us a choice of rendering engines.

Last edited by roger64; 02-22-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard

I am a bit surprised nobody seems to pick up this thread. Is not the introduction of a second rendering engine for ePub a significant milestone for Koreader?

I just wanted to explain why I did not want to use the "reformat" option in its today form. For what I saw, when you select it, you can tweak your ePub in many ways (fonts, margins, etc.) but I really disliked the scrolling: somewhat the lowest line is half eaten, sometimes the upper line is too low or repeat the last preceding line, to sum it up, the display is not clear cut and this I find particularly disturbing.

On the other hand, the direct display (without "reformating") is tantalizingly close to a perfect rendering. I wish some solution could be provided to the font-size problem. I noticed in the first post that the original MuPDF ePub rendering application allows some tweaking commands, among them to set up a default font-size value. Could this be backported to the Koreader version of this application?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I did try the MuPDF function on my Pocketbook.

As you say, without reflow, the reader is quick to open a book but virtually illegible because of the small font.

With reflow, I found it unusable - top and bottom text lines missing, different font sizes on different pages, an inability to handle images on a page.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard

@church mouse

Thanks for the confirmation on another platform. Now wait and see...
Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
On the other hand, the direct display (without "reformating") is tantalizingly close to a perfect rendering. I wish some solution could be provided to the font-size problem. I noticed in the first post that the original MuPDF ePub rendering application allows some tweaking commands, among them to set up a default font-size value. Could this be backported to the Koreader version of this application?
Of course, when someone has time.

The EPUB support you see right now is almost accidental. MuPDF added some initial EPUB rendering and I added a way to play around with it that doesn't require editing any source files when I noticed how nicely it was already working. But as you can see the GUI for it assumes we're dealing with a PDF because we're in MuPDF.

The font size should be relatively simple. It's already there in base:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L170-L175

But not five minutes simple, I don't think.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard

Thanks for the explanations. Well, some "accidents" as you say make people happy.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Koreader crashed for me when I tried opening an epub in MuPdf on my android based eink reader. I didn't try it again with another epub though so not sure it was because of that particular epub or just a problem with MuPdf.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard

The error message from crash.log could be helpful.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard

You'll get mine too.

It's coming from MuPDF when, while reading a PDF, I leave my finger too long on the right side of the screen (I am sleeping actually), Koreader crashes and I am back to Kindle.

I reproduced it leaving my finger put about 15 seconds nearly immediately after opening the book (darkened in the code). As soon as I take out my finger, Koreader crashes.

It happens regularly and I have better take care not to fall asleep

Spoiler:

Code:
02/26/18-21:52:36 INFO  FM loaded plugin terminal at plugins/terminal.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:36 INFO  FM loaded plugin timesync at plugins/timesync.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  opening file /mnt/us/documents/Trois_ans_dans_une_chambre_à_gaz_d'Auschwitz_9×12.pdf
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin backgroundrunner at plugins/backgroundrunner.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin batterystat at plugins/batterystat.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin calibrecompanion at plugins/calibrecompanion.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin coverbrowser at plugins/coverbrowser.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin evernote at plugins/evernote.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin goodreads at plugins/goodreads.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin keepalive at plugins/keepalive.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin kobolight at plugins/kobolight.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin kosync at plugins/kosync.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin newsdownloader at plugins/newsdownloader.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:48 INFO  RD loaded plugin percepton_expander at plugins/perceptionexpander.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin readtimer at plugins/readtimer.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin statistics at plugins/statistics.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin storagestat at plugins/storagestat.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin systemstat at plugins/systemstat.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin terminal at plugins/terminal.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin timesync at plugins/timesync.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  RD loaded plugin zsync at plugins/zsync.koplugin
02/26/18-21:52:49 INFO  setting zoom mode to page
./luajit: frontend/apps/reader/modules/readerhighlight.lua:317: attempt to call method 'notIntersectWith' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	frontend/apps/reader/modules/readerhighlight.lua:317: in function 'onHoldPan'
	frontend/apps/reader/modules/readerhighlight.lua:378: in function 'handler'
	frontend/ui/widget/container/inputcontainer.lua:197: in function 'handleEvent'
	frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:455: in function 'sendEvent'
	frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:46: in function '__default__'
	frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:684: in function 'handleInputEvent'
	frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:745: in function 'handleInput'
	frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:789: in function 'run'
	./reader.lua:196: in main chunk
	[C]: at 0x0000c031
lipc-wait-event exited normally with status: 0

Last edited by roger64; 02-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
Frenzie
Wizard

I can reproduce that. Curious. If you hold for 3 seconds or less it selects a word, but if you hold for more than 4 seconds before releasing it crashes. It happens in DjVu and all MuPDF file formats, not just EPUB. I guess it's some edge case that never showed up because normally you're either going to be selecting more words or you'll already have let go.

Tracked in #3696.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
roger64
Wizard

If the readers sleep, the developpers don't. The bug has been reportedly quashed and the fix "merged" which means it's already in the main version.

Users will get it at next update. Long life Koreader!!

Last edited by roger64; 02-26-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Sadly I can't recall which book it was as I was just trying the open with feature when I read about in this thread so just tried to open a book. With other books I tried it to get the crash log it didn't crash so now I am not sure if that was the actual problem .
Anyway after trying both I prefer the original crengine renderer. I was wondering if it will be possible to add mupdf render as an option in android directly as I prefer calibre companion app for browsing my files so would like to have the option to open in crengine or mupdf option in that rather than from inside koreader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #15
Frenzie
Wizard

That's an interesting thought, but not easily. It'd require a fair bit of work on the Android side in particular.