Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #436
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubin View Post
Attempting to pull data for one of the books in my library, and I'm receiving the following stating to report it on this thread

Hopefully this is the correct place to report this, if not, please let me know. Cheers.
Thanks for the report. Apparently there are some authors that have a bio page, but it doesn't show up properly in the search results. I've uploaded a new version (2.0.24) to the first post which should handle that case now and let you build an Author Profile file.

The other error in your log was due to no character info existing on GoodReads, unfortunately the only way around that at the moment is to use the terms builder to create some terms manually and save them to an XML file. However, that requires more work and possibly existing knowledge of the book, which kind of defeats the purpose of the X-Ray.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #437
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Thank you very much!

The other error is no problem, I figured it was due to goodreads not having info, I just wanted to be complete with the report. Great app, thank you!
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #438
jazavchar
jazavchar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Hello folks!

Since you are all so helpful on here, I just wanted to drop by and share a most interesting story that I've just witnessed.

TL;DR Kindly automatically downloaded the X-ray and WordWise for me.

How did that happen?

I was messing fixing ASINs in Calibre and updating the cover photos (through the "download metadata " option in Calibre) to their correct Kindle versions.

I sent the book to my Kindle. It was connected to Wi-Fi. I opened the book, scrolled a bit and noticed that the X-ray button was not greyed out. Clicked on it, and lo and behold, x-ray was fully functional as well as word wise.

All I had to do was wait a bit for my Kindle to download the data.

I have a kindle 7th Gen (not paperwhite) running the latest firmware.
jazavchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #439
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
I've tried using the calibre plugin a few times, however when I do it states the books cannot be opened on my kindle paperwhite 7. If I open the file that's transferred using the kindle app on my computer, it opens just fine. The plugin does not seem to be transferring over the x-ray files either.

I've double checked the folder is added correctly in the plugin settings. The files are all mobi, and none will open on the device itself. I can't see any logs related to the plugin, so if there are some please let me know and I'll share them here. I'm just not sure what else I should be doing to troubleshoot the issue.
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #440
Ekips
Ekips began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, K3gb(x2), K3w, K4, k5(x3) PRS-505s, Stanza for ipod
Hi, is this project still ongoing?

I'm trying to build an xray file and I'm getting the error

Spoiler:
Attempting to build Author Profile...
Searching for author's page on Amazon.com...
Unable to parse author's page URL properly. Try again later or report this URL on the MobileRead thread:

Is there any update to this?

Thanks
Ekips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #441
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazavchar View Post
Hello folks!

Since you are all so helpful on here, I just wanted to drop by and share a most interesting story that I've just witnessed.

TL;DR Kindly automatically downloaded the X-ray and WordWise for me.

How did that happen?
Not sure! There have been a couple people here and there who have reported similar behaviour but could never reproduce it. Would be nice to know more about how/why it happens, but I've never experienced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubin View Post
I've tried using the calibre plugin a few times, however when I do it states the books cannot be opened on my kindle paperwhite 7. If I open the file that's transferred using the kindle app on my computer, it opens just fine. The plugin does not seem to be transferring over the x-ray files either.

I've double checked the folder is added correctly in the plugin settings. The files are all mobi, and none will open on the device itself. I can't see any logs related to the plugin, so if there are some please let me know and I'll share them here. I'm just not sure what else I should be doing to troubleshoot the issue.
I don't I had it create any logs, so there isn't much debugging info. The plugin shouldn't have done anything to the books themselves though so it's pretty weird if it makes them not open suddenly. If you disable my plugin and re-enable the original Kindle device plugin (you disabled it in the first place, right?), do the books open normally?
It's possible there was a Calibre update that broke it or something, I'll have to investigate when I have a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekips View Post
Hi, is this project still ongoing?

I'm trying to build an xray file and I'm getting the error

Spoiler:
Attempting to build Author Profile...
Searching for author's page on Amazon.com...
Unable to parse author's page URL properly. Try again later or report this URL on the MobileRead thread:

Is there any update to this?

Thanks
Yes! There were some changes to the formatting on Amazon & GoodReads, so parsing isn't working properly. I'm working on an update for it that should be done this week.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 07-11-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #442
Ekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Yes! There were some changes to the formatting on Amazon & GoodReads, so parsing isn't working properly. I'm working on an update for it that should be done this week.
That's brilliant news.

I'm also having an error where the notable clips work but the 'PEOPLE' and 'TERMS' tabs are just showing "Sorry, an error has occurred."

And (sorry) the wordwise is messing up after I do the x-ray creation.

Hope the images help and if you need any more info or for me to test anything out just let me know.

Last edited by Ekips; 06-27-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #443
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
I'm also having an error where the notable clips work but the 'PEOPLE' and 'TERMS' tabs are just showing "Sorry, an error has occurred."

And (sorry) the wordwise is messing up after I do the x-ray creation.
Really weird that word wise would get messed up like that. Was it the official word wise file or one you generated somehow?
I've uploaded a new beta version to the first post for you to try. Let me know how it goes! If the X-Ray stuff still isn't working, you could send me the book & files to investigate, either on an upload site and PM me the link or email them to ephemeral.vilification AT gmail.com

Last edited by Ephemerality; 07-05-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #444
Ephemerality
Addict

New beta uploaded (26). This one includes minor updates to the dist\BaseSQL file, so make sure it gets extracted too! Most noticeable change here is speed, writing the X-Ray itself will be much faster, especially on large books with many characters (eg Game of Thrones) (downloading still takes time). There is also a new setting to skip notable clips that have 0 likes and set a minimum length for them (25 by default). Goodreads often has a bunch of garbage quotes, so trying to match on all of them can cause issues.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 07-28-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #445
Ekips

Quote:
New beta uploaded (26). This one includes minor updates to the dist\BaseSQL file, so make sure it gets extracted too! Most noticeable change here is speed, writing the X-Ray itself will be much faster, especially on large books with many characters (eg Game of Thrones) (downloading still takes time). There is also a new setting to skip notable clips that have 0 likes and set a minimum length for them (25 by default). Goodreads often has a bunch of garbage quotes, so trying to match on all of them can cause issues.
Looking forwards to trying this, been layed up sick so not had chance till now but looks like you've been working hard.

I'lll see what happens to the word wise too and update you on that.

Thank you for working on this.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #446
Ekips

Everything seems to be ok and the 5 books I've tried it on so far, I have to have
Use KindleUnpack
on or it throws up some errors but seems ok with it on.

Editing the aliases file that pops up doesnt seem to save any changes (Might just be something I'm doing wrong?) but I tried to add an AKA and couldn't get it to show up in the xray file at all.

The word wise still comes up with the wrong words after I create the xray files, no idea why.

What files should I send you? or if you have a suggestion for me to try I can give it a go.

Again, thank you.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #447
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Everything seems to be ok and the 5 books I've tried it on so far, I have to have
Use KindleUnpack
on or it throws up some errors but seems ok with it on.

Editing the aliases file that pops up doesnt seem to save any changes (Might just be something I'm doing wrong?) but I tried to add an AKA and couldn't get it to show up in the xray file at all.

The word wise still comes up with the wrong words after I create the xray files, no idea why.

What files should I send you? or if you have a suggestion for me to try I can give it a go.

Again, thank you.
I would definitely like to see at least 1 of the books that's giving you errors when you don't have KindleUnpack turned on (and the error message/log). I'm hoping to get rid of KindleUnpack completely soon so my internal reader needs to be perfect!

The Word Wise issue is really weird 'cause nothing X-Ray Builder or the X-Ray file itself does touches the file for that (I'm not even 100% sure how it works) or the book -- my only thought there is if you have a different version of the book saved on the Kindle than you have in Calibre or something.
If you send along a zip of the book straight off the Kindle and the .sdr folder (that copy of Deadly Decisions to match the screenshots I guess), I can try to investigate!

You can confirm whether the aliases are saving by checking the in \ext\[ASIN].aliases file afterwards to make sure your changes are still there. If you have the setting enabled to overwrite aliases, they may be getting deleted every time. Note that you won't actually see the aliases show up in the X-Ray in the end, they exist only for matching purposes.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #448
Ekips

Quote:
I would definitely like to see at least 1 of the books that's giving you errors when you don't have KindleUnpack turned on (and the error message/log). I'm hoping to get rid of KindleUnpack completely soon so my internal reader needs to be perfect!

The Word Wise issue is really weird 'cause nothing X-Ray Builder or the X-Ray file itself does touches the file for that (I'm not even 100% sure how it works) or the book -- my only thought there is if you have a different version of the book saved on the Kindle than you have in Calibre or something.
If you send along a zip of the book straight off the Kindle and the .sdr folder (that copy of Deadly Decisions to match the screenshots I guess), I can try to investigate!

You can confirm whether the aliases are saving by checking the in \ext\[ASIN].aliases file afterwards to make sure your changes are still there. If you have the setting enabled to overwrite aliases, they may be getting deleted every time. Note that you won't actually see the aliases show up in the X-Ray in the end, they exist only for matching purposes.
Ok I've run it a few more times on different books and I've packed up a book, xray files, log files and screenshots and PM'd it you.

Hope they help.

If you need anything else or me to try different settings just let me know.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #449
Ephemerality
Addict

Thanks! New version uploaded that should resolve the metadata reader issue.

Edit: A new new version (28) is up. Amazon conveniently changed the formatting on their author pages on the 31st, this should fix that.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 08-01-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #450
Ekips

Quote:
Thanks! New version uploaded that should resolve the metadata reader issue.

Edit: A new new version (28) is up. Amazon conveniently changed the formatting on their author pages on the 31st, this should fix that.
Hi, I've ran a few books through this one and sent you a PM with the results.

Hope they're helpful.

Thank you.

Tags
x-ray