Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Knocka
Knocka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Help Understanding Calibre Functions

I use a Mac (Leopard) and have just started using Calibre mainly to change Metdata on certain eBooks where the author or title is incorrect. I use a Kindle 2.

I have figured out how to load the files into Calibre's main screen. I have kep the folder where I told Calibre to store files open while using Calibre so I can see what is happening.

Whenever I open a file (azw, whatever) with Calibre, it shows up in the main screen on Calibre. Also, a folder gets created immediately in the Calibre Storage folder.

If I click Convert, Another copy gets stored in the same place, with the mobi extension, if that is what I selected, even if in preferences I chose azw as the Format for Single File Save.

The main problem, though, is whenever I highlight a file in the main screen and choose Remove Books, it deletes all copies of it in the Calibre folder.

All I want to do is remove it from the list to keep the list neat and organized.

I must be missing something about how the program is intended to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Knocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to remove just a specific format of a book, then you do this via the edit metadata dialog.

In terms of conversions - the only formats currently available via the GUI are LRF, EPUB and MOBI. I thought that the Kindle could handle the MOBI type books although I could be wrong?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle books are nearly all with DRM. The current version of Calibre won't fiddle with the Metadata of DRMed Mobipocket books because of a report of a corruption problem when doing so.

Calibre is really intended to be a sort of iTunes for eBooks - a central store for all your eBooks. So deleting from the main list deletes from the storage too. You can sort and filter the list, if you only want to view a sub-set of your collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocka View Post
I use a Mac (Leopard) and have just started using Calibre mainly to change Metdata on certain eBooks where the author or title is incorrect. I use a Kindle 2.

I have figured out how to load the files into Calibre's main screen. I have kep the folder where I told Calibre to store files open while using Calibre so I can see what is happening.

Whenever I open a file (azw, whatever) with Calibre, it shows up in the main screen on Calibre. Also, a folder gets created immediately in the Calibre Storage folder.

If I click Convert, Another copy gets stored in the same place, with the mobi extension, if that is what I selected, even if in preferences I chose azw as the Format for Single File Save.

The main problem, though, is whenever I highlight a file in the main screen and choose Remove Books, it deletes all copies of it in the Calibre folder.

All I want to do is remove it from the list to keep the list neat and organized.

I must be missing something about how the program is intended to work. Any help would be appreciated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not sure why it is such a big deal for you to have both formats. But, just click the edit metadata button, select one of the formats and click the Trash Can icon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty sure you don't have to click convert if you use the "Send to Device" function.

BOb
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Knocka, I don't think you can use Calibre to convert AZW files to other formats because of DRM, but someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise you're stuck with bad metadata on those.

What *I* use Calibre for is for other books. Let's say you download a non-DRM LIT file or PRC/MOBI file with bad metadata. What you can do is drags those files into Calibre; it will make a copy of them in it's own database. Then you can edit the metadata for those books how you want. Then *convert* each book from whatever format into MOBI format. Finally, connect your Kindle 2 via USB, wait for Calibre to load up the list of books on it (this can take a few minutes), then click those books you converted to MOBI and select "Send to Device" and the MOBI files you converted, with updated metadata, should be transferred to the Kindle. After the job completes, unplug your Kindle and enjoy!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Knocka, I don't think you can use Calibre to convert AZW files to other formats because of DRM, but someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise you're stuck with bad metadata on those.
If he is able to convert the .azw then it is a DRM free file... so yes he can edit the metadata on it.

BOb
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If he is able to convert the .azw then it is a DRM free file... so yes he can edit the metadata on it.

BOb
I'm new to Calibre and need some clarification...

Given this situation

1. I have a personal story I wrote and it's saved in Word.
2. I emailed the Word document to my free kindle address and downloaded the AZW file from Amazon.
3. I uploaded the AZW file to Calibre
4. I changed the metadata using Calibre and it says it's still saved as AZW.

My question: Can my Kindle 2 read this AZW after I made the metadata chages? Should I convert it to MOBI instead?

Thanks.
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzilla View Post
I'm new to Calibre and need some clarification...

Given this situation

1. I have a personal story I wrote and it's saved in Word.
2. I emailed the Word document to my free kindle address and downloaded the AZW file from Amazon.
3. I uploaded the AZW file to Calibre
4. I changed the metadata using Calibre and it says it's still saved as AZW.

My question: Can my Kindle 2 read this AZW after I made the metadata chages? Should I convert it to MOBI instead?

Thanks.
Yes and not. You did not "edit" the .awz file when you change the metadata. You edited the metadata which is stored in the calibre database. However, if you use "send to device" a copy of the .awz is created using the metadata in the database.

BOb