Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Unofficial 1.2.2 update for UK

I've put together an update package for UK NST/Gs (works on US models as well, which is what I have). It results in a UK-style experience (same splash screens, Oxford dictionary, keyboard entry of letters with diacritical marks, language selection, etc.) with connection to the US B&N servers.

The idea is to allow continued use of the devices registered, which results in longer battery life and fewer issues with WiFi and so on.

The update does not require rooting, although that is possible after registration. Because I had to fiddle with the official 1.2.2 US update zip, the internal signature is broken and so the update must be done using ClockwordMod.

Detailed procedure (with pictures) here.

Very new as of this posting, looking for testers, especially outside the US.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
I've put together an update package for UK NST/Gs (works on US models as well, which is what I have). It results in a UK-style experience... Oxford dictionary...
Does a UK Nook ST have a different dictionary than a US one?

I'm still happily using a Nook ST and reading through the installation steps, I think it's a bit much for me. But I am curious about updating the dictionary.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #3
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Does a UK Nook ST have a different dictionary than a US one?

I'm still happily using a Nook ST and reading through the installation steps, I think it's a bit much for me. But I am curious about updating the dictionary.
The US version uses the Merriam Webster while the UK version uses the Oxford. The most obvious difference is the absence of any pronunciation guide in the Oxford.

The two dictionaries have different structures. The MW consists of 4 databases (linked, I suppose) while the Oxford is a single database, so there doesn't seem to be any way to simply swap them. I'm no expert in this area and I need more input from people who had past experience with non-English dictionaries from B&N.

I'm sorry it looks so complicated. I really wanted to prepare an auto-update zip, but the whole signature thing made it impossible. For people not used to working with Android the whole CWM probably looks pretty arcane, but once you get the card made it's just a series of what I hope are carefully described steps that probably takes longer to read than to follow.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote