Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
mnju
mnju began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Did anyone try firmware 5.14.1 ?

I stopped using my PW after 5.13.7 and wanted to know if Amazon somehow managed to fix that mess in 5.14.1 (their "release notes" are useless, I'm not going to blindly update anymore...)
mnju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The new update is just additions to the previous, I am not crazy about it either. But it is readable. I don't keep more ebooks on my kindle than I am reading plus my next set of boxes I am planning on reading. So it isn't that bad.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I haven't had much time to play with it, but the main new feature is a "Back" button at the bottom of the screen that appears after you jump to a new point in a book. This partially restores the back feature that was removed in the previous firmware version.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
nimbus.se
nimbus.se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
The Kindle Paperwhite 7 didn't receive the update
nimbus.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite 7 didn't receive the update
It is also the second skipped update for the Voyage.
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Personally you are better off without the updates.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
merith.tk
merith.tk began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2 (5.12.2)
Massive Home Screen UI change, makes it near impossible for my 86 Year Old who I am an Assistant In Home Care Provider for, to use her kindle. About ready to give her my personal kindle which is modded and contains the old UI
merith.tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I haven't had much time to play with it, but the main new feature is a "Back" button at the bottom of the screen that appears after you jump to a new point in a book. This partially restores the back feature that was removed in the previous firmware version.
Yes, that is the only change I’ve seen so far as well.

But to be clear, it duplicates what was/is there when swiping up from bottom and using the equivalent ‘<“ link, it just makes it easier to jump back.

And where a ‘reverse hyperlink’ exists that is shown with the little tiny right-pointing triangle (which isn’t showing on the screen capture for some reason — it would be next to ‘1768.’). This also took you back with one tap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BEC6049-2AC6-4D3C-911C-6F0E16AC2E34.png
Views:	646
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	189541   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E0C7BE2-DE88-4BBA-8EED-6C92BC0E7F22.png
Views:	606
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	189542  

Last edited by tomsem; 10-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But to be clear, it duplicates what was/is there when swiping up from bottom and using the equivalent ‘<“ link.
Agreed. I assume this was added because the swipe up feature was not discoverable by most users.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Paperwhite was in Dark Mode when I updated. At first, images were in the wrong mode (reversed when they should have been normal and vice versa). I went to Settings, Accesibility, and toggled Dark Mode there, which fixed this.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Checked it, not much has changed really... BUT I suspect this is preparing compatible devices for the further UI revamp Amazon promised. (remember this? https://www.amazon.com/b?node=23599449011)
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Update on the Library discrepancies between my two PW4s:

- after switching languages, it takes awhile for Library to sync (it is not clear why that is)
- Filter now shows same number of Books on each (2843)
- I (temporarily) turned off Series Grouping
- In Grid view, Filter=Books, ALL selected, 2843 books should lay out on 474 pages (6 per page). The updated Kindle has that number, but the non-updated Kindle spills onto page 475 (3 additional items). I saw one title that was duplicated, and assume there may be 2 more duplicates somewhere.

Now I get to see if updating the other Kindle fixes the ‘duplicates’ problem on it.

[Update: it did not fix duplicates issue, it turns out there’s only 1 duplicate title, the other 2 items are Collections which I have downloaded to one Kindle and not the other. So no worries about the update fixing anything <g> ]

Last edited by tomsem; 10-07-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:27 AM   #13
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Who have jb and 5.14.1 - jb survives after update?
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
My Kindle updated a day or so ago. I can't find the back button at all. I went to a different place in the book not back button was available at the bottom. I guess it updated to the previous version?

Edit: I checked and my Oasis 3 updated to 5.13.7, hence, no back button. When I go to advance options the option for updating to the latest firnware is greyed out?

Last edited by drofgnal; 10-08-2021 at 05:59 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #15
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
- I (temporarily) turned off Series Grouping
As an aside, is series grouping US-only or something? I've been waiting for it for literally years now (in the UK) and it still hasn't appeared.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote