Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Can confirm this, at least for my H20 model.

Installed it on an original H20, upgrade went without hitch and at first sight it seems there are no problems...
The reader in general seems(could be a placebo) snappier with this firmware, compared to 4.9.11314 that i previously had on.
CBZ files definitely open faster, page turn on cbz might be bit better but i cant notice big difference.
There have been general performance improvements. And the release notes for 4.11.11911 state there are improvements for CBR/CBZ files.
Quote:
Given that this is Forma firmware, was hoping that my screen will grow an inch, but alas
I was expecting buttons to appear
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #32
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I was expecting buttons to appear
Well, speaking of patches, if anyone is interested, I could make a patch to enable landscape (but no auto rotation) on any device.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #33
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
does the H2O grow a "slide unlock" with this firmware? :-O
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #34
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Nope, all good on that front

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #35
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Considering this firmware is kepub fix, does this firmware fixes line spacing issues in kepubs, when you can see parts of the next line of text down to the last line of text on the page?

Last edited by forster01; 11-07-2018 at 08:31 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #36
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Nope, but it can with my patch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Considering this firmware is kepub fix, does this firmware fixes line spacing issues in kepubs, when you can see parts of the next line of text down to the last line of text on the page?
AFAIK, yes, this seems to be fixed since 4.11.11911.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-07-2018 at 08:44 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #37
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
I wonder why Kobo doesn't have implemented a two-column feature for landscape mode. The Forma display is almost twice the size of a 6 inch reader. Enough space for two columns. Otherwise the display of the Forma in portrait mode is nearly as big as a printed paperback.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
AFAIK, yes, this seems to be fixed since 4.11.11911.
I don't think 4.11.nnnnn had any fix for this.

The problem is still there in kepubs if your line spacing is small enough. You probably won't see it if you only use the Kobo default line spacing settings, but you will if you've applied one of the line spacing patches and set the value too low.

I expect your choice of font-family also has an effect on what value for line spacing becomes "too low".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #39
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
I wonder why Kobo doesn't have implemented a two-column feature for landscape mode. The Forma display is almost twice the size of a 6 inch reader. Enough space for two columns. Otherwise the display of the Forma in portrait mode is nearly as big as a printed paperback.
epub or kepub does not have "pages", only plain formatted text. so you'll still get 2 pages of 6" ereader but only in continuous text. That is because html is formatted text anyway and doesnt have "pages". if you are using any other format of the document (pdf, cbr/cbz) you will get one page per view, and that is suitable for big screen, as pages in those documents are "pictures" of the page.

----edit----
Imho, objective of the ereader is to have printed book quality on electronic device that can carry more books in the bag, then the bag itself, with options to change fonts, font sizes, etc...

Last edited by forster01; 11-07-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #40
forster01
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't think 4.11.nnnnn had any fix for this.

The problem is still there in kepubs if your line spacing is small enough. You probably won't see it if you only use the Kobo default line spacing settings, but you will if you've applied one of the line spacing patches and set the value too low.

I expect your choice of font-family also has an effect on what value for line spacing becomes "too low".
same as on the every other firmware so far, but i hoped that they fixed the issue...
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
same as on the every other firmware so far, but i hoped that they fixed the issue...
To be fair, it doesn't happen if you stick to Kobo's defaults. They probably don't see it as an issue.

I've always suspected that the over-large (subjective) value of the default minimum line spacing was chosen to hide this problem.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #42
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
epub or kepub does not have "pages" ... html is formatted text anyway and doesnt have "pages"
I'm a web worker and know most about HTML and details on epub/kepub based on it. But most reading people are familiar with printed books. And these books have a left and a right page/viewport. CSS has a column defining option:
columns: <'column-width'> || <'column-count'>
For the landscape mode: It is known that too long lines make reading difficult, but a bigger font size (for less characters per line) results in less text lines. So this mode may be a handy option for PDF, but what about epub/kepub? Who's gonna use it for epub/kepub and why?
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #43
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Well, speaking of patches, if anyone is interested, I could make a patch to enable landscape (but no auto rotation) on any device.
Interesting) Thanks in advance
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #44
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Yes, please!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #45
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
I want it! I will to experiment a little with it (if my daily work let me)
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote