Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro, Kindle Fire 2015 (KFFOWI), Nook Simple Touch
Cool Recommended Secondhand Last Generation Reader | Kindle 6th Gen, Nook Simple Touch

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been lurking around for a little while. I have been reading a lot lately, and reading more electronically resources, and have found that my phone and computer leave something to be desired in terms of the battery life and the strain of the LCD screen on my eyes.
I'm thinking of picking up a reader on eBay, or somewhere similar, but would like some input, or suggestions, if possible.
I read paper books relatively often, and am not certain to what extent I will adopt the technology. Because of this, and my budget, I would like to pick up something used, for relatively cheap--not to exceed $20 or $30.

I've been considering Nook Simple Touch, due to its external SD card support, and the ability to Root the device and install third party applications. While this would extend the usability of the device, I'm not sure if it remains practical, as working and compatible APK files may be hard to come by these days. As a tinkerer, the hackability of the Nook seems to be a bonus.

The last Amazon Kindle seems like a nice device as well, despite its absence of external SD card support. From what I have read, it seems to be well-made, and there are still some "hacks" floating around, though it does run android, so third-party applications would not be an option. The Kindles seem to have the most sleek form factor, and can be found used for the lowest price, though half of them have "ads", I don't know how invasive this feature would be.

From reading on the forums, the Kobo comes highly recommended by some, and is the most customizable out of the box. In addition, it has an SD card slot. I know the least about this reader.

Currently, I don't utilize any store exclusively, though I have made purchases from various electronic vendors--typically whichever one is cheapest, or has the obscure thing that I'm seeking. My reading materials consist significantly of academic materials, in various formats, and public domain epub files--the classics.

Ideally, I would like a device that doesn't require login credentials to be entered ever, to use the device, and doesn't require adoption of a vendor's ecosystem, but this might be the description of a device that doesn't exist. I am open to some hacking around, however, to make that a reality.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
jaekqubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I know a lot of academic materials are in PDF, and often reading PDFs on small readers is not a good experience. An e-ink reader, though, does work very well for epub.

The Amazon Kindle e-ink readers do not run Android. You may be thinking of the Amazon Fire tablets, which do run a forked form of Android.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I currently own a Nook Simple Touch, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Kindle Basic (Kindle 4, non-touch), Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T2 and a Kobo Glo.

I use the two Kindles the most because Amazon has a larger selection of books and cheaper prices (usually). And it's easier to borrow books with the Kindles (I don't have to worry about ADE -- but I do live in the United States.) The Kindle Nooks were my first eReaders and -- purely going by the devices -- they're still my favorite. The only front-lit eReader that works well for me is the Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight -- which is odd because it's about the oldest "front-lit" Reader out there. I like the Sony PRS-T2, but in dimmer light, the lighter fonts are harder for my eyes to see -- and I'm usually not reading in bright light. If the library only has ePub for a particular title, the T2 is my "go to" reader because it has built-in ADE and I can borrow the book directly from the library with it. And then there's the Kobo Glo -- technically the most advanced of all my readers. More customizable. Fairly modern front lighted screen -- which looks good ... except for when I try to read on it. I find myself constantly tweaking with it and but I just get comfortable reading it. It probably has more to do with the condition of my eyes than the build of the reader. I don't know. I also don't like the way I have double or triple tap the Glo to get it turn the page. I'll probably sell this one -- but still trying to see if I can find a "comfortable" way to use it.

Anyhow, for what it's worth.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
I know a lot of academic materials are in PDF, and often reading PDFs on small readers is not a good experience. An e-ink reader, though, does work very well for epub.

The Amazon Kindle e-ink readers do not run Android. You may be thinking of the Amazon Fire tablets, which do run a forked form of Android.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. You are correct that a lot of academic materials are in PDF. As such I think that I would use the E-Ink reader more for ePubs, whereas I would likely continue using a tablet for PDFs, particularly those in color, or those that are particularly complex.
My understanding is that the Nook Simple Touch runs a version of Android OS which can be rooted to gain additional capabilities by installing third party APK files. I was interested in expanding the functionality of the Nook, for example, by installing an up to date browser, reading applications, and perhaps some others, such as Readability. I'm not sure if this is still a reasonable pursuit, or if some of these capabilities would be available in other readers out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I currently own a Nook Simple Touch, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Kindle Basic (Kindle 4, non-touch), Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T2 and a Kobo Glo.

I use the two Kindles the most because Amazon has a larger selection of books and cheaper prices (usually). And it's easier to borrow books with the Kindles (I don't have to worry about ADE -- but I do live in the United States.) The Kindle Nooks were my first eReaders and -- purely going by the devices -- they're still my favorite. The only front-lit eReader that works well for me is the Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight -- which is odd because it's about the oldest "front-lit" Reader out there. I like the Sony PRS-T2, but in dimmer light, the lighter fonts are harder for my eyes to see -- and I'm usually not reading in bright light. If the library only has ePub for a particular title, the T2 is my "go to" reader because it has built-in ADE and I can borrow the book directly from the library with it. And then there's the Kobo Glo -- technically the most advanced of all my readers. More customizable. Fairly modern front lighted screen -- which looks good ... except for when I try to read on it. I find myself constantly tweaking with it and but I just get comfortable reading it. It probably has more to do with the condition of my eyes than the build of the reader. I don't know. I also don't like the way I have double or triple tap the Glo to get it turn the page. I'll probably sell this one -- but still trying to see if I can find a "comfortable" way to use it.

Anyhow, for what it's worth.
Thanks for this exhaustive explanation of the available options. Time spent on LCD screens seems to take a toll on my eyes, as well, which is a motivation for pursuing e-ink, so I appreciate your perspective and experience.
The Kindle devices have an appeal in that they seem to be something of a standard, are highly regarded, and also, I have some gift card codes for Amazon, which would end up coming in handy.
It seems that other devices potentially afford more options, and customizability.
Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
E-ink Kindles do not run Android, they run Linux.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I use a rooted Nook ST. Its very good to read simple text pdfs in landscape mode. I use Orion reader. It is a great reader. Install Relaunch on it.

Sony T2s can be found on ebay cheap. They can be rooted if the FW version is not too old, but the Nook is a much better e-ink tablet.

Also consider an old Sony prs-650. Should be cheap. They can read pdfs if you install prs+.

Don't know about Kindles. They have a big user base with lots of hacks. The old Touch had a great screen.

The Kobo glo can also be rooted (you overwrite the OS).

Last edited by Rizla; 01-06-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:19 AM   #7
jaekqubp

Thanks much for sharing your experience. I'm leaning towards the Nook Simple Touch in part for its potential to be useful in some capacities beyond reading. I'm looking around for a deal. Do you prefer Orion to Moon+, for reading ePubs? I find the statistics, and time remaining useful in Moon+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I use a rooted Nook ST. Its very good to read simple text pdfs in landscape mode. I use Orion reader. It is a great reader. Install Relaunch on it.

Sony T2s can be found on ebay cheap. They can be rooted if the FW version is not too old, but the Nook is a much better e-ink tablet.

Also consider an old Sony prs-650. Should be cheap. They can read pdfs if you install prs+.

Don't know about Kindles. They have a big user base with lots of hacks. The old Touch had a great screen.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
E-ink Kindles do not run Android, they run Linux.
Kindles run Linux directly (no Android at all). And Android is a Linux distribution. When you look at your Android device and see "Kernel version" that's the Linux kernel.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Kindles run Linux directly (no Android at all). And Android is a Linux distribution. When you look at your Android device and see "Kernel version" that's the Linux kernel.
It is confusing to most people to call Android a version of Linux and not really accurate. It does use a Linux kernel but that is about all. Android is considered its own operating system even though underneath the covers you are correct.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is confusing to most people to call Android a version of Linux and not really accurate. It does use a Linux kernel but that is about all. Android is considered its own operating system even though underneath the covers you are correct.
I just consider it a very specialized Linux distribution.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I just consider it a very specialized Linux distribution.
You are certainly entitled to your personal opinion but that doesn't make it fact.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekqubp View Post
Thanks much for sharing your experience. I'm leaning towards the Nook Simple Touch in part for its potential to be useful in some capacities beyond reading. I'm looking around for a deal. Do you prefer Orion to Moon+, for reading ePubs? I find the statistics, and time remaining useful in Moon+.
I haven't used Moon+ for pdf's. Orion suits my needs. It makes the screen landscape without me having to run another app to do it. Also it crops well. It has a very simple user interface and set of features that do what I want. I tried Moon+ for normal epubs, etc, but it didn't suit me. I like Alreader. It is the only one I've found that lets me go full-screen with no margins. The UI is simple and does what I want.

With open Android, there a lot of choice and no restrictions. The Nook ST is awesome if you can still get one. Definitely the cheapest way to get a rock-solid e-ink tablet. Best and cheapest e-reader I've ever owned. It never crashes. I couldn't go back to a "normal" e-reader now.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You are certainly entitled to your personal opinion but that doesn't make it fact.
Fine. I just base my opinion on the fact that Linux is the kernel and Android uses the Linux kernel -- while fully understanding that most Linux distributions are quite a bit different than Android.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
jaekqubp

Hi, Thanks again for all of your input. I purchased a Nook Simple Touch and just received it in the mail. I was just wondering what root procedure you followed, and that is up to date.
I see that there are several -- including NookManager and TouchNooter -- just curious what worked best for you. Thanks again.

Quote:

Quote:
I haven't used Moon+ for pdf's. Orion suits my needs. It makes the screen landscape without me having to run another app to do it. Also it crops well. It has a very simple user interface and set of features that do what I want. I tried Moon+ for normal epubs, etc, but it didn't suit me. I like Alreader. It is the only one I've found that lets me go full-screen with no margins. The UI is simple and does what I want.

With open Android, there a lot of choice and no restrictions. The Nook ST is awesome if you can still get one. Definitely the cheapest way to get a rock-solid e-ink tablet. Best and cheapest e-reader I've ever owned. It never crashes. I couldn't go back to a "normal" e-reader now.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #15
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Please do not buy an ereader through eBay. I tried that and got taken. It said it was new but it was anything but. I returned it and got a brand spankin' new Sony PRS-300 via Amazon and I absolutely love it!
readerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, kindle, kindle touch, nook, nook st