Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sitescooper

Notices

Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #31
captainao
Enthusiast
captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Axim x51v;T|X;NX73;SEK750
I'd suggested FTP because it not only solves the scheduled download issue, but there are also some good Palm clients (I use VFSFTP) that would make downloading these with a PDA a lot easier than using NetFront or another browser.
As a bonus, if users received individual logins to the FTP server (same as their login here perhaps?) it would be possible for admins to monitor/cap bandwidth usage.
Just my .02
Old 04-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
captainao, I must think about it.
Advert
Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #33
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtexas
...Only tried a few, but on The Economist scoop when you click on the "More From (blank)" links you get screens and screens of urls...
I cleaned it up, Gary (hope it didn't break the script ).
Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #34
cactusjack
cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.

Device: TT
Alexander this is a pretty sweet thing, it seems to work very well. What do you plan going forward with this concept??? Subscription based or ????

Either way its a great idea
Old 04-14-2004, 01:43 AM   #35
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
Alexander, yes, this is a good idea indeed. I've been searching the internet to find references of a successful Palm and Nokia 6610 GPRS set up using the IR connection. If and when I can make it work, then with this collection, it will be like watching news on the hour every hour.
Advert
Old 04-14-2004, 02:41 AM   #36
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Alexander this is a pretty sweet thing, it seems to work very well. What do you plan going forward with this concept??? Subscription based or ????

Either way its a great idea
Thanks for the compliments, cactusjack. The service will be free, to everyone who is participating in the forum. So far, everyone with +20 posts or who has been contributing in other ways received a private login. This is not meant to be 'elitist', but to serve two purposes. A) To keep it private (don't want to stumble over copyright issues by making this public), B) To keep traffic to a minimum. As far how we will go forward with this... I am not exactly sure. I will definitely add more scoops to it. We will see how the other parts of the new sites (on which I am still working) will go.

Greets
Alex
Old 04-14-2004, 03:06 AM   #37
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Alex, thanks for the update - it all sounds very exciting. Can you tell us which scoops are 'Coming Soon To A PC Near You'?
Also, what new sites are you working on? All this time you spoke of new sites I assumed you meant the move to mobileread from turcic. Is there more PDA related stuff to come?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:50 AM   #38
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

melvyn,

as you noticed correctly turcic.com became mobileread.com. But beside the name change, I am planning to do a complete site makeover. New features, new layout, etc. I am very excited about these changes and have been working on them for the past few months. I think soon I will be able to make them public.

About the scoops... I am going to add those scoops that are of interest to most of us. I haven't planned any specific ones yet, but NYT is definitely going to be one of them.

Greets
Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #39
drc54
Enthusiast

Okay, so I got my Palm 515 working with my 6610 GPRS. Which means, I second Captainao's suggestion for the FTP option. Wouldn't it be nice, Sunday morning, go to your favorite Coffee Shop, fire-up the Palm/6610 contraption, FTP to your site. While the coffee is still brewing, I can already be enjoying the latest hot-off-the-press happenings. Sunday comic strips? Probably asking too much. But, hey, it's great stuff you're doing here. Really appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #40
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

just curious since I don't have a wifi/gprs-capable pda yet... isn't it possible to fetch the scoops also from WWW instead of FTP?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:43 AM   #41
drc54
Enthusiast

Well, the problem I encountered is that the site requires user and password authentication. Since I'm using a freeware web browser, I don't know, if at all, a way to send the user/pw tokens. I enter the url and it replies with an error message authentication required. The user/pw panel doesn't come up to allow me to enter name/pw. I don't quite understand how to use Palm's Web Clipping, which may be the way to do it.

BTW, I'm using a Nokia 6610 GPRS phone, connected to the M515 via IR. I have WAP/GPRS account with StarHub in Singapore.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #42
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Can you try it like this, perhaps it works:

http://username:password@sitename.com
Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 PM   #43
drc54
Enthusiast

Nope. Doesn't work. The browser I used, Sedaka and Matrix, will throw me to Google when I enter the URL as you suggested. Let browse around, should be a way to pass username and password, or perhaps, I need to install another module.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #44
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
So what's new with the scoops? Are you planning to add more?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:32 AM   #45
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Yes - I was just too preoccupied bringing out the new version of mobileread.com. Now I should have more time again to play with the scoops.

Alex