Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #46
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
TBH. Doing anything on the DX is ass-twitching at best without a serial cable.

READ: DON'T GET IT WRONG!

or - have a serial cable to recover the mess..

I have a DXG 2.5.8 but there is no need to guess.
Go get the code? Amazon kindly provides copies of all the relevant things on their site.
You can find the configs lying around

(top sticky for links)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
knc1/twobob: Thanks for the info.

I took a look at the two versions of kernels. There are too many patches, which need to be applied to both. It is beyond my capability. I will live without MOBI8.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #48
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fair enough. thanks for the update
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #49
dicalp
Enthusiast
dicalp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G + Ads
Trying to compile the kindle touch kernel and can not even kick start the compilation. I think the makefile is missing. I am using ubuntu, got code sourcery installed and tested compiling an arm version of standard linux.

appreciate if anybody can give me some guidelines to get the kindle touch source code compiled.

thanks.
dicalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The (lab126) kernel source packages are notoriously crappy, with missing configs and/or files, depending on the version.

We'll need more details:

* Which exact source code package did you use?
* What did you try, and what output did that trigger, in detail?

And, stupid sidenote, but you never know: have you actually ever rolled a Linux kernel manually (native or not)? (because that would certainly help).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #51
dicalp
Enthusiast

I tried two sources:
- Kindle_src_5.3.7_2004410010.tar.gz and Kindle_src_3.0_515460094.tar.gz

What I did is untar all the files and then follow the guidelines given at the start of the thread.

the command "make mario_mx_defconfig" means there is a make file of the name mario_mx_defconfig. but this is not found. so i'm trying to find something equivalent.

if the make file is not delivered with the source code, possible to make one ourselves? Or if is it possible to post the content of mario_mx_defconfig here?

Last edited by dicalp; 09-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #52
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
it's not that easy. This is not a file but a Makefile target. I guess you left out the answer regarding your experiences? :-)

FWIW, check the Makefile for relevant targets. As far as I remember, the config files are then be included from a subdirectory.

As "mario" is the old hardware (K3? KDX?) platform name, there will definitely be changes. Be aware that this guide was written when we were talking about devices that are not current anymore.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #53
twobob

make imx35_luigi_defconfig is a later one... (k3's)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ildroot+kernel

I dunno about the Touch...

Last edited by twobob; 09-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #54
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
For a K5, look for a yoshi or yoshime defconfig (can't give you a definitive answer, I think the last time I looked at this was for a K4 kernel a good long while ago).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #55
dicalp
Enthusiast

yes. you are right. It's make target not make file name. it just slip my mind. i have been using make all, make clean, etc. without really thinking.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #56
dicalp
Enthusiast

What do you think is a good try?

> make -f Makefile.help
Cleaning:
clean - delete temporary files created by build
distclean - delete all non-source files (including .config)
doc-clean - delete all generated documentation

Build:
all - Executable and documentation
busybox - the swiss-army executable
doc - docs/BusyBox.{txt,html,1}
html - create html-based cross-reference

Configuration:
allnoconfig - disable all symbols in .config
allyesconfig - enable all symbols in .config (see defconfig)
config - text based configurator (of last resort)
defconfig - set .config to largest generic configuration
menuconfig - interactive curses-based configurator
oldconfig - resolve any unresolved symbols in .config
hosttools - build sed for the host.
You can use these commands if the commands on the host
is unusable. Afterwards use it like:
make SED="/sed"

Installation:
install - install busybox into CONFIG_PREFIX
uninstall

Development:
baseline - create busybox_old for bloatcheck.
bloatcheck - show size difference between old and new versions
check - run the test suite for all applets
checkhelp - check for missing help-entries in Config.in
randconfig - generate a random configuration
release - create a distribution tarball
sizes - show size of all enabled busybox symbols
objsizes - show size of each .o object built
bigdata - show data objects, biggest first
stksizes - show stack users, biggest first
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #57
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Take a look into the Makefile. Amazon left most of the documentation boilerplate and didn't care to document their own extensions. So no, it's most probably not one of these.

Rethinking the matter, I believe to recall that they had a shell script that issues the right commands? Not sure, though.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #58
twobob

well.. unless I miss my mark... I think I documented some of that 1/2 way down the thread I linked.

in terms of generating a config.

Last edited by twobob; 09-23-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #59
Jackie Im
Jackie Im began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle white paper 2nd
hello~
my kindle is paperwhite 2nd.
i would like to compile this model kernal.
but i can not use "make mario_mx_defconfig".
if i use "make mario_mx_defconfig ", error is happen.
what can i use isteade of "make mario_mx_defconfig"?
Jackie Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #60
Jackie Im
Jackie Im began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle white paper 2nd
hi~
I bought kindle paper white 2nd.
I would like to compile this model's kernel.
I typed "make mario_mx_defconfig" command in kernel folder.
but error was happened.
error was "No rule to make target 'mario_mx_defconfig'. Stop."
which folder do i type "make mario_mx_defconfig " in?
how can I decide 'mario_mx_defconfig'?
Jackie Im is offline   Reply With Quote